All reviewshiking trailsother guestsmain beachinteresting peoplewhite bay beachheaven on earthpaddle boardingyear after yearlow keysand fliesbeach vacationnatural settingspecial placeget away from it allmain buildingnight lifehonor bar
Reviewed June 16, 2012

My husband and I stayed on Guana Island from 5/31/12 - 6/7/12 for our honeymoon. From start to finish, Guana was perfect! Upon arrival at Beef Island Airport on Tortola, we were warmly greeted right outside of Customs and driven to the marina (about 1- 2 minutes). We then boarded The Crown for a scenic boat ride to Guana and offered cold water and/or beer. When we arrived on Guana, Hannah & Matteo were waiting at the dock. We arrived well after lunch, but Hannah so thoughtfully had a delicious lunch waiting for us. After lunch, Hannah showed us our room and gave us a really helpful overview of the island.

We stayed in a Seaview Cottage - Grenada 1 (which has air conditioning).The room consists of a large terrace overlooking Muskmelon Bay (the view is absolutely beautiful!), a large bedroom & a bathroom. While I wouldn't call the cottage luxurious, it was immaculate & very comfortable.

The service on Guana Island is outstanding. It is friendly, efficient, and seamless, all without being pretentious or over-bearing. Hannah & Megan in the office were so helpful with planning activities and accommodating requests; Andrea & Sugar at the White Bay Beach pavillion were so friendly & fun; and each & every waitress did an amazing job.

The food on Guana Island is delicious. Breakfasts consisted of a buffet with bread, fruit, cereal, yogurt, cheeses, and meats. Also, there is a special each morning, but the kitchen will also make items upon request. Lunches were also served buffet style, with a ton of choices, followed by dessert. Dinners consisted of soup, salad, a choice between 2 entrees, and a dessert. The soups, salads & desserts were consistently excellent. Of the 7 entrees that I had, I would rate 5 as excellent. I did not care for 2 of the entrees, but it could be that I just didn't care for that type of fish (fluke & mahi). And,the portions are extremely generous - we were so full after each meal.

Breakfast & lunch are open seating, so you have the option of private dining or mingling with other guests. Seating for dinner is by seating chart, but they will certainly accomodate requests. We enjoyed a nice mix of private dinners and group dinners. We found the other guests at Guana to be just delightful & we had so much fun with them!

There are a ton of activities on Guana: hiking, snorkeling, kayaking, paddle boarding, tennis, fishing, etc. A visit to Dr.Liao in The Orchard is not to be missed! We also did a day trip to Virgin Gorda to see The Baths - absolutely amazing! The hiking trails are challenging - definitely bring hiking shoes & reusable water bottles. (Note: The BVI do not have recycling facilities).

Guana is a quiet, beautiful & unspoiled island - we cannot wait to return!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Aimee-Marie1221
Reviewed June 11, 2012

We travelled from the UK for a week at Guana. The holiday was arranged by Joyce at BVI holidays who did a marvellous job. It was a long journey; BA from Gatwick to Antigua, then 2 hours wait, 90 mins Liat to Tortola, then 10 mins on the boat. However it was so worth it.
I consider myself well travelled, as a beach lover we've been to several Caribbean & Indian Ocean Islands, but we were blown away by Guana.

It's a large island, with stunning beaches but due to their policy of not building any more accommodation it's incredibly private. The website depicts the natural beauty of the island, however we found it much more luxurious that we had imagined. The rooms are simple, but very well equipped; comfortable beds, coffee maker, wifi, endless supplies of towels etc.

We were most impressed by the staff. Jason in reservations was really helpful before our departure & management are very visible & customer oriented. Some guests commented that they'd seen Key Limes in the orchard, Hannah arranged for us to have Key Lime pie the next day. Another couple fancied Lobster before their departure, no problem, we were all offered it.

There are so many activities from hiking, canoeing, tennis, paddle boarding & fantastic snorkelling it's impossible to be bored. My husband really enjoyed the fishing (he took his own fly rod) though despite a lot of effort he didn't catch the 70lb Tarpon.
If it's down time you're after this is the place. It's impossible not to relax, all the cottages have lovely porches with a spectacular views. We spent hours in the rocking chairs, reading & snoozing.

I don't know if we were especially lucky but really enjoyed the company of the other guests. No one was a repeat guest (although I suspect we all will be). Most people enjoyed time alone in the day, although many of us played a riotous game of cricket on the beach one afternoon, but guests tend to meet for cocktails before dinner. We were asked when we arrived if we would prefer communal dining, if we'd said not we would have been on a table for two. As it was we had some fabulous evenings with the other guests, which were one our highlights.

I can't recommend Guana enough. It's the perfect location for couples to relax in splendid isolation. I suspect we'll be those repeat guests I've read about. I may well become a Guana Groupie!

I'd be happy for anyone to contact me regarding this trip. We've also been to PSV, so would happily compare it required.

Room Tip: Our cottage Barbados had AC. North Beach Cottage looked amazing for a honeymoon.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank pollylovesthesun
Reviewed April 9, 2012

“Unspoiled, 850 acre private island with some of the best beaches in the world. Extensive hiking trails, hidden beaches, exotic flora and fauna; spectacular view points from all guest areas. The friendly, helpful staff offers the highest level of service, yet is unobtrusive. There is nothing like it I’ve seen or heard of elsewhere. ”

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Consigliera-S
Reviewed March 16, 2012

This was, without a doubt, the most social resort we've ever been to (leaving aside tiny camps in Africa, where all 10 or 12 guests are thrown together by necessity). Almost all the other guests were long time (15 + years) returnees who knew each other, but we newbies were accepted into the fold warmly, and thoroughly enjoyed the communal mealtime (and beach time). True, you can eat at a table for 2 and stay by yourself (the one young couple who were there -- whom we dubbed the "honeymooners" -- did), but that would be missing the point of Guana.

Accomodations and public areas are not as "luxurious" as other comparably expensive Caribbean resorts, but they are perfectly comfortable and welcoming. "Fancy" is not what Guana is all about. Service, attention, and the camaraderie of truly interesting people is what sets it apart from, say, Peter Island or Caneel Bay.

Physically, the island is truly wonderful. A myriad of well-marked hiking trails with gorgeous vistas, a crescent beach with the softest white sand I've ever walked on, an orchard with every tropical fruit . . . loveliness everywhere you turn.

So why only 4 stars instead of 5? The food. I agree with Boh_1 (and several other reviewers) that the food is, at best, mediocre, and the limited choice makes it difficult for one without a catholic palate. I found it do-able for a 4 or 5 day stay, but not up to the level I expect at these prices.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
10  Thank eastsiders
Reviewed March 4, 2012

I am just back from five days at the Guana Island Club. It was a wonderful five days.

The setting is beautiful. There are water views in all directions. The entire side of the mountain facing the cottages is entirely undeveloped and natural. The beach is clean with lots of space to relax. Our lodging was very comfortable. All the arrangements and services were were impecable.

There is lots to do but no pressure to do anything. We took some hikes, swam, visited the orchard and ate by the beach. We could have done more, or less. No worries.

The food was imaginative and reliably delicious without being pretentious. The other guests whom we met before and during dinner were a source of interest and pleasure. Which is to say that I liked the kind of people who like the Guana Island Club.

Yes, it is expensive but, if that is not an obstacle, the Guana Island Club is a perfect place to relax, unwind and share time with (in my case) family.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family