“Amazing trek across the moor! Great horses and friendly staff.”

Cholwell Riding Stables
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Mary Tavy
Reviewed July 23, 2013

The perfect end to my hen weekend! A fabulous trek across the moors on very well behaved horses. Despite having not ridden for years I felt very safe in the staff's experienced hands. We were able to have some nice canter's across the moor with stunning scenery and we were very lucky to have great weather. They took us out in small groups which made it even more enjoyable.

2  Thank Sophandsimon
"fantastic experience"
"birthday treat"
"long time"

Reviewed July 6, 2013

If you're holidaying in the area or live locally, I thoroughly recommend Cholwell Riding Stables.

My daughter and I are complete novices (to quote my daughter, "you just squeeze the horse and it runs!"), so were feeling a little bit apprehensive but we needn't have been. The support, tuition and encouragement from the friendly staff at these stables was outstanding.

Quite a few of us were waiting for a ride and after being equipped with riding hats and wellies if you didn't have suitable footwear, each of us was carefully matched with the right horse. (It might be worth bringing your own wellies as you'll be given one of their well used pairs in which many sweaty feet have sat). Being learners, my daughter and I were on a 'lead rein' which was in the hands of a very helpful member of staff. As we became accustomed to the feel of the horse we were encouraged to trot, surprisingly difficult to master but by the end of the ride I had just about got the hang if it. Lovely little trek across beautiful Dartmoor.

We're a little sore today but hope to return for further rides when we can.
Tip: Avoid wearing jeans if possible, if you don't have jodhpurs leggings seem to be a pretty good substitute.

2  Thank TheVoicer
Reviewed June 2, 2013

I've been riding at Cholwell Farm and Stables for 7 weeks. On my first lesson it was cold, windy and raining and I didn't have the appropriate gear. The stables have wellies/ waterproofs and riding hats available to use for the ride which I was glad of given the weather.
I was a nervous rider and for 4 weeks (I go once a week) I rode Carousel and he was led by one of the staff so I knew I was safe. With every lesson I was given the chance to ride Carousel on my own as we neared the end of the lesson. This gave me a chance to build my confidence and test out the new skills I was learning along the way. My visit during the 5th week, I rode Jester and was given the option to be lead or go alone, I chose to go alone and I enjoyed every second of it. The staff out on the rides with you are friendly and ask how you are and keep an eye on you to check you are ok. They are knowledgeable on all aspects of riding and of all the horses. Just recently I rode and was given Millie who was slightly taller than the other two I have ridden previously but she was still as laid back and obedient as the rest of the horses.
The horses are clean, well groomed, well cared for and you can plainly see they love their job. The stables are always clean and the food and water are always stocked. They have a sheep pen in the yard where a ewe and her lambs have been growing up until they're ready to go back into the field. The barn has adequate space for all the horses and a section of the barn houses 3 dogs: Nellie, Ice and Skye who are always glad of a fuss and a dog treat. If you are an animal lover, this place will have you smiling. The prices are reasonable at £20 an hour but they do offer longer rides for a little extra. This was a hobby I was interested in and thanks to the wonderful staff and the horses, I can't imagine doing anything else. I await every weekend to go riding again and always leave a little saddened that I have to wait another week until next time!

2  Thank Katie R
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Thank you to Diane who took our family of four (including 2 children aged 6yrs and 9yrs) on a wonderful hour and a half ride across the stunning Dartmoor countryside. We had very limited riding experience (our 6yr old had none) and Diane's calm and friendly manner gave us every confidence that we would have a safe and relaxing experience (despite my pony occasionally preferring to take a different route to the others!). There were sufficient staff to enable the large group who had booked for a specific time to be split into smaller groups of similar riding experience, so more experienced riders would not have the potential frustration of having to ride at the pace of the least experienced. Great fun and as we live quite locally so I'm sure we will be back.

2  Thank lynda68776620
See more reviews
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Me, my girlfriend and my mum went in May 2013. It was my first ever experience of riding a horse and I was very nervous beforehand, not of the horse itself or falling of but of this image in my head of me attempting to get the horse to trot and it deciding instead to gallop off at 35 mph with me hanging on for dear life! Thankfully however this was not the case!

The staff were very friendly and attentive, and were happy to take pictures of us three on our horses beforehand. The young lady who took us out was called Lindsay (apologies if not the correct spelling) and was really nice, friendly and made us feel at ease. I rode a lovely horse called Guinness who looked after me well and thankfully did not gallop off at 35 mph! My mum rode Millie and my girlfriend rode Rocky.

We only went for an hour as it was my first experience, but I really enjoyed it and we all want to go back at least once a month. The prices were reasonable and we paid £20 for a very enjoyable hour ride onto the moors, they also do longer rides and a 2 hour ride is £37. You can see the horses are very well cared for and the family who run it have 37 horses so can easily cater for the less experienced as well as more experienced riders.

I would definitely recommend this place and believe it's definitely good value for money.

1  Thank BenMason1