“"It was brilliant!"”

Cholwell Riding Stables
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Mary Tavy
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Thank you to Diane who took our family of four (including 2 children aged 6yrs and 9yrs) on a wonderful hour and a half ride across the stunning Dartmoor countryside. We had very limited riding experience (our 6yr old had none) and Diane's calm and friendly manner gave us every confidence that we would have a safe and relaxing experience (despite my pony occasionally preferring to take a different route to the others!). There were sufficient staff to enable the large group who had booked for a specific time to be split into smaller groups of similar riding experience, so more experienced riders would not have the potential frustration of having to ride at the pace of the least experienced. Great fun and as we live quite locally so I'm sure we will be back.

Date of experience: May 2013
in 3 reviews
"birthday treat"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed May 22, 2013

Me, my girlfriend and my mum went in May 2013. It was my first ever experience of riding a horse and I was very nervous beforehand, not of the horse itself or falling of but of this image in my head of me attempting to get the horse to trot and it deciding instead to gallop off at 35 mph with me hanging on for dear life! Thankfully however this was not the case!

The staff were very friendly and attentive, and were happy to take pictures of us three on our horses beforehand. The young lady who took us out was called Lindsay (apologies if not the correct spelling) and was really nice, friendly and made us feel at ease. I rode a lovely horse called Guinness who looked after me well and thankfully did not gallop off at 35 mph! My mum rode Millie and my girlfriend rode Rocky.

We only went for an hour as it was my first experience, but I really enjoyed it and we all want to go back at least once a month. The prices were reasonable and we paid £20 for a very enjoyable hour ride onto the moors, they also do longer rides and a 2 hour ride is £37. You can see the horses are very well cared for and the family who run it have 37 horses so can easily cater for the less experienced as well as more experienced riders.

I would definitely recommend this place and believe it's definitely good value for money.

Date of experience: May 2013
1  Thank BenMason1
Reviewed April 19, 2013

We went while spending a week nearby in Lewdown. The first thing you get is smiling faces, looking to help you. The girls that took us (3 adults, a 9 and 6 year old) were really chatty and helpful. We were all beginners but they encouraged us and gave really good instruction on how to trott. I know we weren't in the Grand National but they made it very enjoyable. My two sons really enjoyed it, as did the three adults. Will do it again next year. Lovely horses. Highly recommended.

Date of experience: April 2013
1  Thank BradBourbon
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I would like to say a big thank you to Donna and the team for a most enjoyable ride-out today over Dartmoor. Myself and a few military friends of very mixed riding abilities, from zero to some, were catered for individually and with great enthusiasm. We were encouraged to be as adventurous as we wanted and praised at every effort we made. Donna and her team made us all very comfortable, teaching and encouraging all the time. We had a very pleasant and positive experience.’

Date of experience: September 2012
2  Thank Sandra P
See more reviews
Reviewed January 5, 2013

So, I started visiting Cholwell in August 2012, and have been out pretty much every weekend ever since. All the staff are lovely - they're knowledgeable, helpful, and always ready to give out encouragement where necessary. Nothing is too much trouble, and even getting on your horse is an opportunity to impart some welcome advice and reassurance.

If you are a complete begninner, they even have appropriate clothing to lend you, above and beyond the 'regulation' hard hat, even waterproofs!

The horses are equally as good. Depending on your ability, they will carry you with no fuss, or if you are skilled and firm enough, will listen to you, their rider, and do as you ask. They also have horses and ponies to suit all abilities, so if you're a genuinely competent rider, you can be assured of a responsive mount.

And of course you ride straight out on to the moor - what could be better? Dartmoor is always beautiful, even when it's pouring with rain, as has been the case for so much of 2012. Still, there has always been somewhere sheltered to ride, somewhere dry enough to canter if you want to go a bit faster.

Whatever your resaon for visiting, your ability or experience, you are assured of a really positive experience. I really can't praise the place enough! I'm looking forward to many, many more rides in 2013.

Date of experience: August 2012