“A very happy feel good environment”

Cholwell Riding Stables
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Mary Tavy
Portsmouth, Hampshire, UK
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“A very happy feel good environment”
Reviewed April 19, 2013

We went while spending a week nearby in Lewdown. The first thing you get is smiling faces, looking to help you. The girls that took us (3 adults, a 9 and 6 year old) were really chatty and helpful. We were all beginners but they encouraged us and gave really good instruction on how to trott. I know we weren't in the Grand National but they made it very enjoyable. My two sons really enjoyed it, as did the three adults. Will do it again next year. Lovely horses. Highly recommended.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank BradBourbon

Southampton, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“adventure”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I would like to say a big thank you to Donna and the team for a most enjoyable ride-out today over Dartmoor. Myself and a few military friends of very mixed riding abilities, from zero to some, were catered for individually and with great enthusiasm. We were encouraged to be as adventurous as we wanted and praised at every effort we made. Donna and her team made us all very comfortable, teaching and encouraging all the time. We had a very pleasant and positive experience.’

Visited September 2012
2 Thank Sandra P
Great Torrington, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Excellent!”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

So, I started visiting Cholwell in August 2012, and have been out pretty much every weekend ever since. All the staff are lovely - they're knowledgeable, helpful, and always ready to give out encouragement where necessary. Nothing is too much trouble, and even getting on your horse is an opportunity to impart some welcome advice and reassurance.

If you are a complete begninner, they even have appropriate clothing to lend you, above and beyond the 'regulation' hard hat, even waterproofs!

The horses are equally as good. Depending on your ability, they will carry you with no fuss, or if you are skilled and firm enough, will listen to you, their rider, and do as you ask. They also have horses and ponies to suit all abilities, so if you're a genuinely competent rider, you can be assured of a responsive mount.

And of course you ride straight out on to the moor - what could be better? Dartmoor is always beautiful, even when it's pouring with rain, as has been the case for so much of 2012. Still, there has always been somewhere sheltered to ride, somewhere dry enough to canter if you want to go a bit faster.

Whatever your resaon for visiting, your ability or experience, you are assured of a really positive experience. I really can't praise the place enough! I'm looking forward to many, many more rides in 2013.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Sarah2H
London
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Beautiful views of the moors”
Reviewed December 28, 2012

My mother-in-law booked us in over Christmas for our Christmas activity and we all thought it would be awful due to the horrendous rain we've had but it cleared up for the time that we were there and so we were able to go out for an hour. The staff are very friendly and will match you up to a horse for your abilities and everyone was happy enough with their horse, although it did seem to take forever to load up and get going. The guide, Donna, was very good at making everyone feel comfortable and they do encourage you to try the next level and push you along so if you want to push yourself to progress then this will help you out. This is only my second time out riding and I was paired up with zippy so I was lead by the guide the whole way, which I found a bit limiting/frustrating and I would have preferred a gentle horse that I could have walked by myself. The views across the moors are stunning and were very dramatic while we were there, despite the heavy clouds we could see as far as Bodmin moor! I would come back for the views.

2 Thank Travelseahorse
Broadstairs, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A Perfect Experience”
Reviewed December 15, 2012

I visited here in November 2012 as a surprise with my Brother and Sis-in-law - I haven't been horse riding for nearly 20 years so was feeling very nervous but all the staff put me at ease. I felt confident that Donna knew what she was doing - having asked me a few questions she knew my ability and which horse to pair me up with. We went up on to Dartmoor in a small group spliting into to two groups to do trotting with the more experienced ones going off to canter. I felt encouraged at all times and look forward to taking my daughter (5) next time we are down in Devon. This is a very relaxed family run stables and I would recommend anyone (experienced or not) to have a go.

Visited November 2012