“Another Excellent Visit”
Review of Hotel du Soleil

Hotel du Soleil
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Villeneuve
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Well located at the east end of Lake Geneva, the Hotel, being close to the various transport facilities provided an ideal base once again for my visit to the area. The room was well equipped for my needs and comfort and the breakfast buffet, ample for a good start to each day. My Host was most helpful and the provision of the Montreux Riviera Card for my local travel needs and real bonus. Full marks from me!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Lickey B

Reviewed August 2, 2013

My wife and I were attending a spiritual convention in montreux during last week of July 2013. Instead of staying in montreux decided to stay a little away from the busy place and chose this hotel which is about 5 kms. Away. The hotel gives you a local card that enables you to travel free in the local area. A bus (201) is just a few yards away and takes you to Momtreux or Veve....it is a very regular service. Some days we walked to Montreux by the lake....a most beautiful walk early in the morning or during the evening....during the day it was too hot!
We had rented a studio apartment that had everything we needed, Sven and Carolina were perfect hosts and asked us a number of times if we needed anything else. On the second day which was Sunday my wife had a terrible toothache and her face was swollen. Carolina when she saw my wife immediately made a few phone calls....managed to get an emergencyy dentist open up for us...took us there and subsequently came to collect us and take us to a pharmacy for antibiotics! Given she and her husband run the hotel without any staff, they are normally busy but for us they could not have done any more! They are very friendly, hard working and take trouble to make your stay enjoyable. Would certainly return! Satish and Hasmita Kanabar

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Satish K
Reviewed July 24, 2013

We had a great time in Villaneuve and stayed 2 nights last month (June 2013). Sven and Coraline are great hosts and very helpful and accommodating. The room was spacious with all very modern amenities. I don't know what you could want that isn't available here, especially considering the size of the town. The hotel is located in the historic district about a block from the train station. The walking is wonderful, just looking at the architecture in the area. We took many pictures. We walked to Chillon castle along the lake .. only about a 20 minute walk. This is a must see! There are also many nice restaurants, as well as groceries, pharmacies, etc., within 5 to 10 minutes walking distance.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Martin B
Reviewed July 1, 2013

This modest, simply furnished but charming hotel had everything & more that I required. Comfortable bed, large powerful shower, decent hairdryer, minibar, flat screen TV, fast free WiFi, and it was quiet at night. Excellent quality breakfast and a friendly helpful owner. It's situated in a pretty street in Villeneuve with cafes, food shops, a pharmacy, a large Co-op and plenty of bars nearby. It is a short stroll to the pretty lakeside walk, and you are given a ticket for free bus travel in the local area on arrival. I couldn't open my windows very far which is the only thing I would change, but the shutters worked perfectly. Highly recommended if you want first class facilities but don't want to pay for the excessive luxury of a four star.

Room Tip: I had a single room, quite large, with a decent sized bed.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 24, 2013

This small and couple-run hotel is officially rated 2 stars but don't let that fool you. Judging by our very spacious room and bathroom with properly-sized shower stall, recent large sink, and perfect cleanliness and condition along with the mini bar and flat-screen TV, it is a great place to stay. Away from the main lakeside road (but only a few minutes' walk from Lake Léman), it is in a quiet location in the old town near a number of small shops and restaurants. The only negative has nothing to do with the hotel itself: the Villeneuve church bell rings on the hour during the night but it is a pleasant and fairly discreet ring and is most likely heard from the other Villeneuve hotels which are all nearby.
If you are attending the Montreux Jazz Festival, this is a great place to stay because of good public transport throughout the evening and night until 3 am.
The hotel serves breakfast but has no restaurant.

Room Tip: As with most hotels, the most quiet rooms are at the back.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Sven and Coraline Muller own the building, but only run the hotel. The ground-floor restaurant is leased, I assume, to the Chinese people who run it.The Mullers welcomed us VERY warmly for our three-night stay and we had many delightful encounters with them. Although they run the hotel virtually without help, they always found time for a chat or a joke with us. They took the 'Soleil' over in 2000 and had to do a lot of modernisation. A hard-working couple, they deserve the success they are making of a modestly-sized hotel. They have developed the top floor as two self-catering studio apartments. The bedroom we had was of generous size, with a limited view of the mountains behind this lovely little town. The bathroom had no bath but an excellent shower. Bedroom and bathroom were spotlessly clean and comfortable. The buffet breakfast was of normal, (i.e. high) standard for this end of Switzerland, with the 'artisanal' ham deserving special mention. There is no lift, no air-con and only limited parking but despite these limitations we would highly recommend staying here. An added bonus is that staying here gives you the use of the 'Montreux Riviera Card' which entitles you to free bus, train and funicular transport between and above Villeneuve and Vevey plus half-fare concessions on the higher sections of the mountain railways and a steamer trip on the lake! Mr and Mrs Muller even helped us up and down the stairs with our luggage on arrival and departure, which says it all, really: they deserve encouragement, and we were sad to leave - but hope to stay there again before too long.

Room Tip: Our room looked out onto the rear of the building, but I think a room overlooking the street would b...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jollygeorge
Reviewed June 8, 2013

I've stayed in a very large amount of hotels in my life and can honestly say the people who run this place are THE rudest people I've encountered in my travels this far. They are never at the lobby, the woman who cleans the rooms doesn't even greet you good morning and more over speaks rudely and disrespectfully every single time. At the end of my stay I forgot items at the room and called to see if I could pick them up and she yelled on the phone to me and told me she didn't have time to work.

Highly suggest avoiding this place

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Wonderlust91
Also consider these accommodations in or near Villeneuve
Hotel du Port
#13 of 17 in Montreux
Hotel Helvetie
Hotel Helvetie
#14 of 17 in Montreux

Been to Hotel du Soleil? Share your experiences!