“Amazing puddings”
Review of The Chester Arms

The Chester Arms
Reserve with OpenTable
The Chester Arms is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Chicheley
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Village pub and restaurant. Freshly cooked food and good selection of beers, ales and wines. Available also for private & corporate lunches & dinners. Open every day Mon-Thu 12.00pm till 23.00pm Fri-Sat 12.00pm till midnight, Sunday 12.00pm till 23.00pm.
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Every time I eat here I can't resist the delicious, imaginative home made puddings. They are wonderful. This place is great for using locally sourced fresh ingredients from small growers/suppliers. The most imaginative and well prepared food in the area - full stop!

There are newer reviews for The Chester Arms

Reviewed June 16, 2013

Today 7 of us went for Sunday lunch at the Chester Arms to celebrate Fathers Day. As you would expect it was very busy with every table full but that did not change the very high standards that had been shown to us on past visits and was shown again today. We were greeted with a very warm welcome, our table was ready, no waiting.
The food was out of this world. My mother had the mackerel pate and the ham hock terrine that my husband had were just two of the lovely starters. These were followed by Aberdeen Angus roast beef and I had the slow roast belly of pork (amazing crackling!) with Yorkshire pudding and lovely fresh vegetables. All of this followed by lemon posset and bread & butter pudding and tea and coffee.
It was a lovely lunch and I would recommend that anyone wanting good food, good value with a high level of service give this pub a go. You wont be disappointed.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

Stopped here after not finding anywhere I liked in Olney and was pleasently surprised at the choice on the menu. Had the chargrilled chicken with ciabata and hand cut chips (best ever)which was perfect for a light lunch at £7.50 beats a greasy burger and chips in most pubs. Interior was very bright and comfortable which was not what you would have expected from the outside. This is a pub which you would easily pass by as it is on the main road near a roundabout but I would go again if in the area.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

Although notionally a pub, this is very much more of a restaurant these days with only one choice of beer on tap and a very gastro-pub menu. There is a small garden both at the front and the rear which might be a nice spot on a sunny day.

Prices are not cheap, with most of the mains being around the £15 - £20 mark, although that said a subset of dishes were available as part of a “2 courses for £14.95” or “3 courses for £17.50” menu which was considerably better value. Steaks featured prominently, as well as a few fish dishes which were apparently fresh off a boat from Cornwall and the waiter was happy to make suggestions. Choices are limited if you’re vegetarian, with only two options being available, and even these were £14 or £15.

My Smoked Haddock Risotto with chargrilled Asparagus and a poached egg was a pleasant enough dish, although I’ve had tastier and it wasn’t a particular generous portion, especially as far as the fish went. If I’d been paying the regular price of £16.50 instead of having it as part of a meal deal, I would have felt very hard done by. As it was, combined with a very nice Chocolate and Bailey’s Bread and Butter Pudding, I suppose it was reasonable value for the quality of the food served.

All in all, perhaps somewhere to go for a special occasion, but I won’t be rushing back any time soon.

wonderman45, Owner at The Chester Arms, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

Thank you for your review, we are glad you had a pleasant experience at The Chester Arms, you are correct we are longer a traditional pub and feel our menu reflects that, we do only offer one cask ale, but we keep this well and feel it is ample for our trade. I would like to address the issue that you feel that we were expensive, on comparison to our competition with the produce in mind I feel that we are on par, this make's our 2/3 course fixed price good value ie in the evening £14.95 for two courses, I would like to point out that this also includes freshly made bread, which was offered and homemade petit fours which you would have been offered if you had ordered tea or coffee, there are also differences to a dish that appears on our a la carte menu and then on our fixed price menu so you would not feel particularly hard done by if you compared both. We do offer only two vegetarian dishes but our readers should know we had twelve main course options on that nights menu and feel two is a good proportion, again you mention the price of these dishes which are £13.95 and £14.95 you may feel again this expensive. As a business owner we do have to look at value, we also have to look at a lot of the invisible business costs, these also go into any equation when pricing a dish. We will take on board your comments regarding the risotto and will up the fish content, this will also add to the flavour and make the portion size larger, this I guess would make us better value for money being that you scored us a four on service and food but only a two on value, I would like to point out that our manager did check with you twice during your meal with us once whilst you were dinning and again on paying your bill, at neither time did you ask us to address any of your comments. I like everyone who dines with us to enjoy it and to leave happy, if something is wrong I fix it, however this is only possible in our business when a customer is still with you. I am sorry that you feel you would not rush back because we feel there is nothing better than to see repeat custom.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

went and had sunday lunch here and were not disappointed yet again.had the poached duck in red wine for a starter which was delicious my husband had the mackerel pate which he thoroughly enjoyed.the mains I had the roast beef which was so tender and the Yorkshires were humungous ,my husband had the migraine which is a fish that comes from cornwall.he thought it was wonderful even though he had never heard of it,but he thought if you liked fish this definatey was worth trying.the dessert was a trio of pear poached ,sorbet and jelly.if you want to try somewhere different give this ago you wont be disappointedthe only negative was that our table was put right by the bar and a party turned up and very rudely bent over our table ordering their drinks as we were trying to eat which you can imagine wasn't very nice

Thank you for your very kind review, it is always fantastic to see repeat custom, we are all very happy that you enjoyed your meal from start to finish,we apologise on behalf of the other customers, we will look at the lay out of the table where you were sat and when there is a large party in it might seem a logical place for them to order drinks ect but impacted on your enjoyment and though we cannot control what people do we feel we must address this for future customers so this shouldn't happen again. Thank you once again for your support and custom.