“Great food and service”
Review of The Chester Arms

The Chester Arms
Reserve with OpenTable
The Chester Arms is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Chicheley
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Village pub and restaurant. Freshly cooked food and good selection of beers, ales and wines. Available also for private & corporate lunches & dinners. Open every day Mon-Thu 12.00pm till 23.00pm Fri-Sat 12.00pm till midnight, Sunday 12.00pm till 23.00pm.
London, United Kingdom
“Great food and service”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

I’m always rather pleased when the staff start by explaining that some of the dishes on the menu aren’t available. It’s a sign that the ingredients are fresh, and if they didn’t come in that day, or have already sold out, they won’t be digging into the freezer.

We were a party of seven, including two young children, which can often present a challenge to restaurants serving proper food. There was no children’s menu in evidence, and since our children need to learn to eat proper food we weren’t going to ask for one. Instead, they were happy to provide a steak and chips from the menu, split onto two plates. Perfect, and hugely appreciated by the small but fussy eaters in our party. (I’m not fussy myself, you must understand, but if I don’t like something you’ll hear about it)

For myself, I chose the assiette of salmon starter, and the Dover sole for main. Both were perfectly cooked and nicely presented. A chocolate desert finished off the meal nicely.

The staff are engaging and friendly, chatting amiably with parents and children alike, making everyone feel welcome.

Overall this is a nice place to come if you appreciate real food, fresh, home cooked and well presented, in a historic pub location. We’ll definitely be back to try some of the other dishes.

• Visited February 2013
wonderman45, Manager at The Chester Arms, responded to this review, May 4, 2013
many thanks for your kind review

bedford
“Wonderful food”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

My partner booked here again for Valentines night he earned brownie points as this was where we met on our first date many years ago!
Was lovely to see chef/owners wife around again as she was noticably missing on our last visit.That's not doing other staff down but she is very friendly.
All the menu was hard to pick from as all sounded so good, on a very personal note I hate mashed potato and asked was there an alternative as all but one mains had it, there wasn't and I was fine by that as it was a set menu i knew about before I visited. But Maybe chef you could offer one alternative in future? ( I love your chips!)
We both had salmon starter, OH had belly of pork and loved it!(still telling anyone that will listen about your crackling!) I had ravioli fantastic. And the deserts were just wonderful baileys creme brulee for me(I'm still chatting about that yum).
The only downside for us both was a completley rude woman that had her phone on loud, spent the evening receiving texts and sending ( about 15 loud old fashioned nokia sounding texts came from her phone) Then she had words with her partner who we were so glad stuck up for himself and told her off, but really? was all that polite in a restaurant on Valentines? That was completly out of control of the management but I hope she reads this and at least puts her brick of a phone on silent in future!
Anyway another fantastic evening thank you so much. A fantastic meal every time we visit

• Visited February 2013
wonderman45, Manager at The Chester Arms, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
many thanks for your kind review
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Consistently good”
Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

Had fab Sunday lunch again today - massive yorkshires! A very welcoming place with some good wines and great cooking. Lots of home made sauces and little touches to make it a mouth watering experience. Good service as well
Lots going on here as well for future events and evening specials.
Thanks Steve & co.

wonderman45, Manager at The Chester Arms, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Many thanks for your kind review, we believe the finishing touches are what make a good meal into an excellent meal
Bedford, England, United Kingdom
“A fail safe choice for great food and a lovely welcome”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

This place draws us back again and again. The quality of the food and the warm welcome ever fails. I have always been a meat lover and rarely chose fish over a nice steak or interesting meat dish.....all that has changed thanks to Steve's choice and preparation of fish here. Having been tempted by the smell and sights of the plates with fish coming out of the kitchen one evening I tried a monkfish tail dish....beautiful. I have since tried the skate, the lemon sole, brill, and last night the hake - without exception all beautifully cooked, delicately flavoured, delicous. My partner can't resist the steaks and homemade chips and is never disappointed. Being a lover of savoury food I am always tempted by the tasty starters - last night a Roquefort soufflé - yum, but somehow we managed to find room for dessert...probably because its the best bread and butter pudding around ! it's a relaxed casual place with great food - we took 2 of our teenagers last night who thanked us for a lovely evening after cleaning their plates - result!!

• Visited January 2013
wonderman45, Manager at The Chester Arms, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Many Thanks for your review. Look forward to seeing you again
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Good food, good value, friendly staff”
Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

We ate at the Chester Arms on a very quiet Thursday night early January. Three had the excellent value fixed price 2 course dinner and chose the pâté and 6oz sirloin which all three really enjoyed. I chose a 8oz rib eye, medium with salad and lovely vine roasted tomatoes and large field mushrooms, which was exactly what I wanted, good food and no carbs(I requested no chips and was offered an alternative) my steak was gorgeous.
We will definitely come again, I have heard that Sunday lunch is fabulous. The manager was friendly and properly attentive ad the whole experience was exactly as we wanted.

wonderman45, Owner at The Chester Arms, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind review, Melanie and I are glad that you found our fixed price menu good value, this will continue throughout the year tue/friday lunch and dinner except fri eve.
Thank you for your valued custom.