Iwokrama River Lodge
All reviewsturtle mountainlocal wildlifemain buildingcanopy walkwaynice viewlong journeyfantastic experiencedry seasongreat introductionspent dayseach mealour entire staypeanut butterwheel driveremote areaharpy eaglegreat food
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 18, 2011

The cabins are beautiful and clean, staff attentive and VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE about local wildlife (which is why a person goes there). The Main Lodge (where you eat etc) is beautiful and feels like a tree house. The tours are well planned, as described, and there is plenty of down time. If you are traveling around expecting something like the 4 Seasons or even the comforts of a Hilton Hotel, you won't find it here. So don't expect it. But DO expect fun, breath taking beauty, warm hospitality, and comfy beds and hammocks. Everything is beautiful.

Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 14, 2011

I was there May/June 2011 and I loved it so much that next time I'm taking my entire family. I went solo but still had a memorable time. You must hike up Turtle mountain, it centers you, reminds you of what's important in this life, it was peaceful and I wished I had taken lunch with me so I could have sat there all day and enjoyed the view. The rooms were well kept and I loved my cabin looking out into the river. I liked watching and hearing the birds. Foods was great, a good time, I recommend visiting this place.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Michelle S
Reviewed October 14, 2011

I stayed here with a group of 6, we felt as if we had leprosy. No one talked to us, food appalling, guide seemed to only say someting if asked or came across a tree with a notice. Evening caiman search elicited only the information that there are three types of caiman, never tried to find any arborial animals.
Turtle mountain a long slog for...same view as plane and few birds as there were few clearings or viewpoints (compare rock views excellent walk uphill)
Early morning boat trip poor, village visit pointless, arrived too late to sebutterflies.
No one seemed to care.
Cabins large, but why put netting on windows and leave a gap underneath. No sign of even a bar of soap.....but staff can have satellite TV. No attempt to clean rooms, np plug in basin etc
it is a long and hard drive to get here (6 hours from airstrip).. spend your time elsewhere

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank peterad99
Reviewed October 7, 2011

I stayed only one night in Iwokrama, but I loved it! For a detailed description of how to get there, see some pictures and so on, you can visit a website I made at: http://traveling-guyana.weebly.com/iwokrama.html

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Carlos123_11
Reviewed September 11, 2011

Lovely resort. A great nature guide, ours was Alex. The accommodations are superb, and they have screens! Very unusual in Guyana. The tours/excursions were superb: Turtle Mountain (an excellent and thrilling sighting of black spider monkeys), an evening river cruise, trips to the butterfly farm (FairView village), petro glyphs, and others. The open air dining room is great. But be warned, you will be joined by bats for dinner, and by birds for breakfast and lunch. However, food was very basic, a disappointment particularly considering the cost of accommodations. And bring your own booze, I know hotels usually overcharge if you buy from them, but IK was even more expensive than that.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family