“Splendid!”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed December 5, 2013

Thoughtful and Inventive (but not outrageously so) menu, wonderfully fresh and seasonal food - we enjoyed a delicious three course evening meal here.

Pumpkin gnocci with cabbage and Jerusalem artichokes might not sound especially captivating but this was an excellent mains 'special', very well balanced and tasty, as was the chicken breast mains. Starters had already made a good impression and it just remained for the deserts to be as good - and they certainly were. Every essence of all courses was spot on and were also just right in terms of quantity.

Dining room itself is pleasant and well laid out, being aside from the bar area; service was good with a menu that, for once, whilst not overlong, had several very interesting dishes to chose from. Good wine list too - and the beer's not bad either.

Considering the skill in the menu and cooking and the high standard of our food we thought it excellent value. Very impressive.

There are newer reviews for The Coldstreamer

Reviewed November 19, 2013

We live locally so when family are around we like to take them to good food pubs. I cannot rate The Coldtsreamer highly enough. We took the family and they loved it. More to the point, my partner and I went for a casual meal, off season, when us locals expect lower staff levels and maybe lower service levels. We were mistaken. Not only was the service excellent, the food was amazing.

Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

Me and my partner visited last Wednesday evening without booking a table. Our waiter was happy to accommodate us in the almost empty restaurant.
We were left for a few minutes to settle in and browse the menu before ordering our drinks. Never in my life have I ordered a starter in a restaurant but I was too tempted by the fish croquettes. We both had them for starters and for mains I ordered a steak whilst my boyfriend ordered the braised beef. Being a fussy eater I asked to have no mushrooms or tomato with it and was instantly offered a compromise of steamed spinach. Within minutes of ordering a basket of the tastiest bread arrived with what I assume was homemade butter.
The starter came in no time at all and was a lovely size. Very tasty indeed.
The mains followed shortly after and was cooked to perfection. My boyfriend is a chef and sometimes hard to please but he was blown away. Chunky homemade chips, lovely side salad and neither of us could fault our meals.
With everything being outstanding we had it order a dessert and had the homemade sticky toffee pudding. I'm not quite sure what the apple purée added to the dish but once again it was superb.
The only qualm we had was our table. In an empty restaurant we were seated on a small table by the fire door which created a bit of a draft. Thank you for my first three course meal, and all 6 courses came to £60!!! Will definitely be returning in the very near future - and an extra thank you to our waiter for his excellent, attentive and kind service.

Reviewed November 2, 2013

What a quality pub! Great food, a fine selection of ales and friendly staff. Go there... Honestly. I have been to many a pub in my 46 years on this planet and The Coldstreamer is a realm gem. It is cosy, professional and welcoming. See you next year, guys.. Looking forward to it!!

2  Thank Ben-Tavener
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Whilst on holiday in west Cornwall we were recommended this quaint village in for a good Sunday lunch. The meal was of good quality but the portions were small - and it was quite pricey! Ambiance was lovely and pub staff all great. What a stunning setting in a pretty village !