“Will definitely go back”
Review of The Coldstreamer - CLOSED

The Coldstreamer
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Penzance, United Kingdom
“Will definitely go back”
Reviewed March 22, 2013

We've been visiting the Coldstreamer since about 1989 and it's had it's ups and downs. At the moment it definitely seems to be on an up. I visited with a girlfriend on a recent extremely wet Friday lunchtime. The pub was very welcoming and the bar was quite lively considering the time of year (early March). Nearly every table in the bar was taken. After considering a very interesting looking risotto which included Cow's curd (what IS that?) and a hot Pork and Apple sandwich we both settled for the Pork and Pigeon terrine, served with a caramellised Onion marmalade and salad leaves. We ordered one portion of new potatoes to accompany it.

The terrine was lovely and moist with large pieces of Pigeon breast in it and I loved the onion marmalade. I also enjoyed the new potatoes which were served in a dressing of herb butter and appeared to be half roasted. Had to seriously restrain myself from eating too many! With the meal we had 1 large glass of wine and a large bottle of mineral water. My only complaint, and please don't take this too seriously, is that the 2 pieces of very nice melba toast that went with the terrine were a bit mean to eat the generous portion of terrine with.

We then had a cappuccino and a filter coffee. After which we gossiped the afternoon away and ordered more coffees. The service was friendly, efficient and not obtrusive and no one seemed to object to us sitting talking from 1pm to 4.30 pm whilst it rained outside!

Bill was something like £12.50 each + a tip. Very reasonable.

• Visited March 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Penzance, United Kingdom
“The Menu ...”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

I went there for lunch today with a friend. Firstly, please know that DOGS ARE WELCOME this is a wonderful start. There was a woodburner and a very pleasant smiley man who greeted us. My friend had bubble and squeak with beef and an egg and I had Beetroot and blue cheese Arancini with kale,walnuts and mustard fruits. Having never heard of it before I was told it was deep fried risotto rice made with beetroot and cheese. Out it came ..... it looked fab and tasted out of this world.....my friend eat one of the risotto balls - they were the size of scotch eggs.....he is not a veggie but he just loved it too.
I can quite honestly say its the best and most interesting (!!!!) veggie meal I have had - really interesting and so so tasty. Oh....my frieds lunch was really lovely too. Go there.

1 Thank RozDrew
London, United Kingdom
“Great food, wine, beer, ambience and service”
Reviewed March 8, 2013

It is hard to better an evening at the Coldstreamer. After enjoying a splendidly kept local beer, we found the range and quality of the supper options (together with specials of the day) was excellent as were the wines. The service was just right (helpful and amusing but not over attentive) whilst the evening was happily concluded by the blazing pub fire with a brandy.

cornwall
“Worth a visit for the food”
Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

Having lived in gulval for many years, it's not the pub it used to be. It is used by a number of "locals" but it's used a lot by the second home brigade. Nice but it's like being somewhere else other than Cornwall.

However the food is very good a great menu, I had the bubble & squeak, which given we visited inbetween Christmas & new year and I was roasted vegg ed up, was very welcoming. The children's menu is also good.
The beer, when we visited, was well kept and tasted nice. The variety was small on the ale side, all fairly weak in strength and taste but as I said good for what they had.

They welcome dogs which as when we were there, there was a couple of labs, one blonde and one chocolate, my wife was in her element fussing over them!

London, United Kingdom
“The best pub food in Cornwall”
Reviewed March 5, 2013

I have a house in Cornwall for two reasons that would not immediately spring into an outsiders mind. The art and the food here are both of an immensely high standard. I can walk along the cliffs to St Ives in 10 minutes so why should I drive 10 miles through the narrow lanes on a march monday night to Gulval near Penzance ? Because The Coldstreamer produces excellent food and is less well known to the masses. Its a pub with good beer,an open fire,regulars who prop up the bar every night and a friendly barman. It also has an excellent restaurant adjoining.

My wife and I opted for the chefs pick at £21 for 3 courses while my daughter and friend ordered mushroom soup,mackerel fish cakes, sirloin steak and pork loin. Their main courses were about £15 and starters under a fiver. Our surprise started with a fish soup and a coarse pork pate and continued with lamb and cod. As usual everybody tried everything and there was nothing but praise. The soups were intense, all 3 meat main courses melted in your mouth and the fish dishes were beautifully cooked. All meals came with various vegetables but the mash with the steak and potato gratin with the pork warrant special mention as very special.

The wine list looked good and reasonably priced but driving restricted us to a single gin or sherry. The ambience was simple but pleasant with some good cheap art on the walls to buy if you wish. The restaurant had a dozen diners and the pub about 20 drinkers which was enough to create an atmosphere.Some guests came down from the letting rooms and said they were pleasant.

For the first hour of our visit the church bells were providing a melodius background and the church is well worth visiting if you go to The Coldstreamer for lunch. Gulval is not ruined by tourists as is St Ives so is a pleasant place to be and the pub is easily found in the middle of the village.

I have left the best to last. The puddings are stupendous. You can have big and sweet like the banana and caramel eton mess or delicate such as the saffron panacotta . Everything is produced on the premises and is sourced as locally as possible. If this food was on sale in London the prices would be tripled.

• Visited March 2013