“will not be going back”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gulval
Kenegie Manor Holiday Park
London, United Kingdom
“will not be going back”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

This is not a holiday park. Aside from the grounds, which are lovely and well kept, there is little going for this run-down and tired looking establishment. I would not even call it good value for money as I would have happily paid a lot more if we could have got something at short notice. On that note, given that we did get this at short notice, it is no surprise, having stayed there, that there were bungalows available. The whole place has the feel of a gulag. Don't be deceived by the photo on this website, yes there is an old manor house, I suspect Victorian, which is charming to look at, but the rest of the properties are stark and unwelcoming. Our bungalow was consistently damp. The furniture etc was tired and in need of replacement in some instances, for example, one of the sofas was in a terrible condition. We went to the swimming pool on the first day and did not repeat the experience. Our local authority baths are in better nick. I went to the bar one evening and it was just simply awful. No beer to speak of, terrible decor, no atmosphere and completely dreadful. The whole place stank of food.

Room Tip: Don't go here...avoid it and spend your cash elsehere.
5 Thank Gary275
Patrick_Jennings, Guest Relations Manager at Kenegie Manor Holiday Park, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
It is rare to get a poor review about this park and can only think that perhaps it was not to your taste. As you can read in the other reviews, so many of our guests prefer it the way it is and I am sorry it was not to your taste.

The manor house, which you describe as Victorian, is in fact 400 years old and the reason that you saw a number of empty bungalows is that many are privately owned, not let to the general public and only used occasionally.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

Me and my family have just returned from our holiday at kenegie manor we all loved the place.
After what started as a awful holiday turned into a great week.

We were transferred here from another John fowler holiday park. When we pulled up we could see it was so much better than the last place. We went to reception and were given the keys for barn 8 what can I say other than it was lovely. This is just what we wanted its such a cosy little barn.

There was everything that we needed the only thing that I can criticise is that it could with a bit more storage.

The bar is great place to relax on a evening. There isn't any tacky entertainment. But there is a pool table and fruit machines also there's a jukebox. The food is lovely and reasonably priced. The staff in the bar are lovely sorry I didn't get your names.

We will definitely be going back again. Thank you for making our holiday great

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Sball2004
Patrick_Jennings, Guest Relations Manager at Kenegie Manor Holiday Park, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Thank you very much for leaving us such a fantastic 5 star review, we really appreciate it. Your comments have been passed on to all departments.

Our returning customers are so important to us and regularly make up 50% of our visitors, so we look forward to welcoming you again very soon.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

Upon entering Kenegie manor we were impressed with the green foliage and palm trees and the peacefulness of the resort. We got to the reception (which is inside the pub), and checked in. It was pretty simple and straight forward. We found our cottage (no.06) - old court, which apparently is called the 'up side down house' which means bedrooms and shower down stairs and open plan sitting room and kitchen upstairs.

When we entered it was apparent that it was a very small 'terraced style cottage'. But I thought thats not a problem, as long as it's cosy, clean and comfortable. I had read some poor or average reviews of this property, but I thought i'd give it a go, as I'm not a fussy person, and easy to please. As you will see from the pictures, we were confronted with cob-webs, dust, dirt, musky smell oozing from the carpets inside the built-in closets, shabby paint work and a tempremental shower. Beware - yourself or your little ones could be scolded, so use with caution. I was advised that some of the cottages are privately owned, so they can't guarantee the same standards throughout the park. But you would think that a basic to average standard would be enforced upon all owners? Bathroom is super-tiny, it might be awkward, if your trying to shower your little ones. I've got a 22 month old and a 4 year old. The outside area for sitting down is perfetic really, your own space is not clearly defined, and just backs on to some grass-land. I saw our neighbor scrubbing the plastic table and chairs because they were so dirty. We didn't have any, and to be honest, I couldn't be bothered to ask at this stage, I was too busy with my 4 children and didnt want to waist my holiday time complaining. Is there anything good about this place? Well the grounds are pleasant and if you want peace and quiet, this is the place to go. Good location for lands end and st Ives, 5 minutes to Penzance and Staff are OK, can't say much else, as I haven't had any contact with them since I checked in. Make sure you bring your cleaning materials and washing up liquid, as there's no starter pack for your arriVal. We traveled peak season, so it was quite pricey. would I trAbel to this resort again? Only if it was the modern placements inside the manor house. The bungalows - I was advised that they were the same as the cottages accept without stairs. The outside space for the bungalows looked defined and more inviting. You can gamble and book your holiday here, and you may get a slightly better cottage/bungalow or spend a lot more on the modern apartments and get guaranteed comfort. Cornwall is pretty and has beautiful beaches. If the cottage was cleaned to a high standard, non-shabby paint work and a little thought put in to decor & interior design - I would have given a 4 instead of 3.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank creation177
Patrick_Jennings, Guest Relations Manager at Kenegie Manor Holiday Park, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience at our holiday park. We certainly do not ignore any constructive criticism and perhaps there are some areas that could be improved in the interest of future guests.

With regard to the privately owned cottages, yes we do have minimum standards and I am really surprised to read that you considered yours not to be up to that standard, although it has not been a problem for previous or following guests. It is such a shame that you did not approach us while you were there - we would have instantly moved you to another unit or park

Your comments have been passed on to all departments and we really hope that you will visit us again in the near future
Gloucester, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

We booked into a private apartment that was clean, comfortable and well maintained. The owner's agent introduced himself and promptly sorted out a couple of small quibbles. When we went down to the reception area, all of the staff were pleasant and helpful. And even though a family with small children were next door, we didn't hear a thing. So, all good.

It is true that the site doesn't have much in the way of facilities beyond the tennis court and a swimming pool with very limited opening hours. Although set in beautiful countryside, it wasn't easy to walk around the site and the road down into Penzance was narrow and dangerous on foot. From our perspective, Kenegie Manor served us perfectly as a jumping off point to explore the Penwith peninsula. Had the weather taken a turn for the worse, I might not be writing such a positive review, but we had a good time and left with lots of positive memories of this beautiful part of Cornwall.

1 Thank Greghory
Patrick_Jennings, Guest Relations Manager at Kenegie Manor Holiday Park, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to leave us such a lovely review. Your comments have been passed to all departments, and everyone will be delighted to hear your thoughts.

With regard to the facilities, we try desparately to tell everyone that this is not a traditional holiday park, but a very quiet and relaxing place.

We really hope to see you again in the near future.
Norton, null, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

Spent a week at Kenegie Manor with my fiance in late June. Took the Guival road from Penzance and were surprised at how far we had to drive, much further than it looked on google maps! Upon arrival we found that our Gold Apartment was right above the pub - oh dear we thought, would we be kept awake by the sounds of revelry below? The apartment itself was first rate - no complaints at all about the standard of accomodation.

After a long drive we decided to eat in the pub that first evening, and we soon realised that we we not be kept awake by the noise. The pub was virtually empty and closed at 9.30 anyway. As mentioned in other reviews the bar could do with a bit of a refurbishment but was ok. However, the fact that non of the fish items on the menu were available due to 'supplier problems' was odd considering there is a major fishing port just down the road....We both ended up having the chilli - one meat and one vegi - and it was fine. We didn't use the bar again, but mainly because we prefared to eat out or cook something ourselves in the apartment.

After our meal we had a walk around the site and both thought "where is everyone?". The place was deserted. The only sign of life was the white cat (Asbro?) who would keep us entertained for the rest of the week. At this point we did not realise that many of the properties were privately owned and only used occasionally. Conversely, some of the apartments/houses seemed to be lived in full time - how many people on holiday take their child to school every morning? The site remained quiet for the rest of our stay. As for facilities, the lack of a shop was a real disadvantage, although it was only a short drive to Tescos/Morrisons a site shop makes life so much easier. The swimming pool, like the bar, could do with an update and its limited opening hours meant it was closed by 6.00 pm - just the time we wanted a swim after a day out seeing the sights!

And seeing the sights is the main reason to stay at Kenegie Manor - from there it is only a short drive to St Ives, Mousehole, St Michael's Mount, Lands End etc etc. The location is perfect - as long as you have a car. We tried walking to Penzance one day and although it only took 40 minutes it was quite dangerous as you have to walk along country lanes with no pavemant. Not wanting to do the return journey in the dark we got a taxi back.

In short there are things wrong with Kenegie Manor but the location is perfect for a holiday in Cornwall. As long as you are not expecting a busy site with lots of entertainment you shouldn't be disappointed.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Julie T
Thank you for such a lovely review, we really appreciate you taking the time.

I wonder if this was a matter of perception and you were expecting a busy holiday park. In our publicity we explain that this is "no way a traditional holiday park" and the reason that the estate appears very quiet is that 60% of the bungalows and cottages are privately-owned and are not let to the public - they are used just weekends and 2 or 3 weeks during the year as second homes.

With regard to the bar, how do you reburbish a 400 year old building without totally ruining the character of the place. Our regular guests love it the way it is and describe it as "Quiet and peaceful", " nice and quiet" in their reviews.

I do hope you come back to see us again now that you know what to expect.
Somerset
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

We have holidayed at Kenigie Manor several times. We have always stayed in the small bungalows(as I call them).
The accomodation is excellent. We can take our little dog with us which, for us is a bonus. The site and accomodation is excellent. Cant wait to go again. The bed was amazing as both my husband and myself have some awful sleepless nights but at Kenegie we both slept every night right through.My only regret is that I did not find out what mattress was on the bed. Hope Paul can tell me that. We were in NO.31.We tell everyone about this place as we love it so much.

Room Tip: We did`nt use a "fitness centre" And as for service a light bulb went and the maintenance...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Patrick_Jennings, Guest Relations Manager at Kenegie Manor Holiday Park, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Thank you for your 5 star review, we really appreciate it. Your comments have been passed onto all departments.

Your praise will mean so much to the management and staff at the park. They all work extremely hard to make everyone’s stay enjoyable.

Our regular guests are so important to us and are the reason that we have been so successful for the past 60 years.

We look forward to welcoming you again very soon.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed in a gold apartment and I loved the place. Clean big and equipped . It was lovely the living room had two sofas. The beds was nice, loved the un- suit and the balcony .

The things on site was not good. The pool was small and when we got out are eyes was red raw! The pub was dated and smelly they had non of are wanted drinks. The tenice court was uneven the play area had nothing but a climbing frame. But when we left something behind we called them but they said they through it in the bin!

But I will bace my review on the accommodation witch was brill

Room Tip: Go for gold apartments
1 Thank John F
Patrick_Jennings, Guest Relations Manager at Kenegie Manor Holiday Park, responded to this review, August 15, 2013

With regard to your comments about the park, we certainly do not ignore any constructive criticism and perhaps there are some areas that could be improved in the interest of future guests.

I am pleased to hear that you rated the accommodation very highly and we really hope that you will visit us again in the near future
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gulval
Hotel Penzance
Wheal Rodney Holiday Park
St. Ives Holiday Village
St. Ives Holiday Village
#20 of 21 in St Ives

Been to Kenegie Manor Holiday Park? Share your experiences!