“clean and quiet”

Kenegie Manor Holiday Park
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“clean and quiet”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

My girlfriend and I have just come back from Kenegie Manor, and we had a great time.
We stayed in a Dormer Traditional Cottage, which well presented and clean.
The park was nice and pleasant, and was situated within a lightly wooded area.
I would definitely go back again.
The pool was clean but the pool area needed a lick of paint, as the paintwork around was flaking and discoloured. The bar area was ok but it closed at 9pm?.
The only major drawback was the staff. They did not know anything about the site at all, the receptionist first had us booked into the wrong accommodation, and when she brought her manager along, they both seemed to be very clueless.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Richard J
Patrick_Jennings, Guest Relations Manager at Kenegie Manor Holiday Park, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thank you for such a lovely review, we really appreciate you taking the time.

With regard to the staff, I am sorry that you arrived just as we had a change of management on the park. Naturally it will take a few days for the new people to become familiar with everything.

However, I am delighted that you understood and that this did not spoil your stay with us. We really hope to see you again in the near future.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 14, 2013

I travel down and stay in Cornwall about 6 times a year as my ex wife moved down there with my children.
I have stayed at probably more than 20 different holiday parks, lodges and accomodation. Kenegie Manor is the best value I have found so far. Ok, it's not all singing, all dancing like some of the other parks but hey, the properties aren't nearly as expensive. I do find it surprising that on some of the other reviews the holidaymakers go in the school holidays when they don't have school age children!
The staff were genuinely friendly and helpful.
If you fancy a nice pub/restaurant, the Coldstreamer is within walking distance.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Tony B
Patrick_Jennings, Guest Relations Manager at Kenegie Manor Holiday Park, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
What a wonderful review, thank you, we really appreciate it.

Your praise will mean so much to the management and staff at the park. They all work extremely hard to make everyone’s stay enjoyable.

We hope to welcome you again very soon.
Okehampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Having read other reviews on here I am wondering what people expected. Lots of comments that the place needs updating when, unless something is broken, why update it? I guess it depends upon what you look for in a holiday.

There are plenty of family parks that offer more. Spa facilities, hairdressers, entertainement. This lovely little place however offers a friendly, efficient place to stay where you can chill and do what you want rather than have the hustle and bustle of somewhere bigger. Perfect for my family.

On arrival we turned into the driveway and saw the bungalows. They are not posh triangle lodges but the ones we saw were clean-looking, had nice outdoor furniture and lots of windows. I gather that a bungalow is actually shared into two seperate properties so do not be misled to thinking by Hoseasons that you get a building to yourself.

Further passed the bungalows we saw the cottages, to be honest they are in a terrace and if I had the choice i'd go for the bungalows with more open space. Still perfectly nice though.

Straight ahead is the main reception which is also the bar. It was a relaxed atmosphere, dated but clean and homely decor and lovely smiling welcome. We had an issue with our booking and had been transferred to this site from another and at first I was mortified. I paid for a lovely lodge and got put into a bungalow. For my honeymoon, this was not impressive but was not the site's fault as they had not been told anything other than it was a last minute booking from a third party.

The staff were wonderful. Even before the issue came to light they were lovely and even moreso afterwards. I spoke to a man who had been at the site for a few days while waiting and he commented that lots of them come back year after year because the staff are so great. They really are.

We were put into one of the lovely apartments and it was fab. Everything you could want for. Clean, practical and simple decor but all the kitchen equipement you have at home. A large fridge freezer, washer, dishwasher and bathroom smellies. Clean towels and really nice bedding. Decent mattresses which makes a big difference.

The swimming pool is old but clean and works, Would be hard not to. A lifeguard provided and open 10-2 and 3-6 if I remember correctly. You get a pass from the bar and it covers you for your entire stay. It has a jet at one end which my son loved and there is a smaller pool just above the main one for toddlers and younger kids. The water was always clean and the shower area too.

The grounds are lovely and very well kept. My 18 month old son doted on the two cats he managed to lure towards him at every opportunity. Lovely views and a little playground for younger kids. We did not use the laundry as we had a washer in the apartment.

All accommodation is different so be sure to book what you will be happy with. Expect practical and simple but homely. We didn't eat there but apparently the fish and chips is lovely. Several people mentioned that.
To sum this place up: It was probably once one of the newest, poshest little sites in the area. Time passes. Some sites charge more and upgrade everything. This site prefers to look after and maintain what it has and provide brilliant service. It isn't there to compete with kids clubs and spas. It is a different type of site so don't expect it to be anything other than a lovely, well maintained family friendly relaxed site. Entertain your kids yourself. Get your hair done in town. Enjoy the chilled, friendly atmosphere.

Research your accommodation with whoever you book with. Any issues and the site take customer service seriously, they want you to be happy. Despite not being the posh honeymoon I had booked, I am really glad we stayed at Kenegie Manor. They went out of their way to make sure we had a great time and I will have no hesitation returning there with my whole family another time.

Room Tip: Call the site to ask for advice on properties, they are honest and helpful. Different types of prope...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank BeckyWillis
Patrick_Jennings, Guest Relations Manager at Kenegie Manor Holiday Park, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Thank you very much for leaving us such a fantastic 5 star review, we really appreciate it. Your comments have been passed to all departments.

We simply do not understand why some people choose to post negative reviews, when all the staff work really hard to make everyone feel welcome. However, we are all individuals and we can all have vastly different opinions on the same subject.

It appears from your comments that you had been misled by your booking agent and for that I apologise, after all, they are working on our behalf. I am delighted, however, that our staff recognised your distress and dealt with the matter immediately.

We really hope to see you again in the near future.
Liverpool
Reviewed June 5, 2013

We stayed at this complex between the 25th May and 2nd June 2013 and upon arrival we were a little sceptical. I was visiting Cornwall with my husband and our five month old son and also my parents.

Visually upon entering the complex we were not particularly wowed, we were a little concerned to see that the complex still had vacancies knowing full well how booked up local accommodations were. Concerns aside my dad and husband went to collect the keys from the reception and were advised that our accommodation had been changed from from a bungalow to a "house". We drove up to the "house" number 24 i believe and instantly i felt the properties looked like a cul de sac of council houses, not what we expected for almost £600 per week. My dad had booked family accommodation to cater for a baby and we were told we would receive this. We had no bath, a broken travel cot and musky accommodation which was outdated and old fashioned. It was quite evident that animals stay in the property as the smell of stale wet dog was creeping through and the giant labrador and Jack Russell perched outside our back was confirmation we wouldn't be sitting outside. Instantly i knew my son was not sleeping in that standard of accommodation!!

We returned to the reception and were told that we "didn't" specify family accommodation...... we were traveling with a five month old baby so I'm pretty sure that would be at the forefront of our mind. The lady was pretty blasé and kept stating that she didn't have that information in front of her, definitely not 10/10 on customer service skills there!! Reception/Management advised that the bungalow/houses are mostly privately owned and its down to the individual owners to update/renovate when necessary. Personally if your letting accommodation there should be a certain standard to meet. Adamant we were not returning to the original accommodation were asked to be moved, there was some discussion as to whether there was room (baring in mind there was a vacancy sign upon entrance which remained that way the entire week!!). Eventually we were told we could upgrade to a "better standard of accommodation" for a £120 excess charge!!!!!

NEW ACCOMMODATION:
I will predominantly base this review on the new accommodation we received, a large sprawling apartment across the top of the main manor house. In a word it was perfect, ticked all the original boxes. There was a large entrance hall, two large bedrooms (one en suite) and one consisting of a brand new wooden cot which was put up for us there an then, family bathroom (with a bath!) and a large living room/dinig room leading into a lovely new fitted kitchen with washing machine, dishwasher etc. Overall a real home from home experience and very comfortable, and might i add completely dog free!!!!

LOCATION: The complex is pretty secluded and a good mile off the main road, personally for us we were happy with this as it was quiet and peaceful of an evening. We were able to sit out on our balcony and not hear a pin drop. There is a local pub in a neighbouring village but its a good walk and not practical if you have small children. Close proximity to Penzance, Newlyn, Mousehole and Marazion, the A30 literally bypasses the road up to Gulval which is great, overall the location was perfect for us. There is a Tesco and Morrisons situated within 5/10 minutes along with other shops of choice.

FACILITIES: The complex is made up of bungalows and houses which in my opinion are are no no, the apartments are beautifully furnished and modern and house all necessities for your holiday. Inside the manor there is a bar which seconds up as reception, the room i assume is used as a social drinking space and is comparable to The British Legion or The Phoenix Club from Peter Kay's Phoenix Nights so for that reason we gave it a miss. I do believe your able to eat in there too, again i cannot pass comment of the edibility of the food as we didn't dine here. There is also an indoor swimming pool and outdoor play facility for children, we were tempted to use the pool but my observations of the clientele kicked in and we decided against the swimming pool with our little boy.

OVERALL: The upgraded accommodation was fab and we would possibly return to stay in this standard of accommodation. Definitely wouldn't pay £600 for a bungerlow/house. Loved the fact the site was close to everywhere and really accessible.

Room Tip: Avoid Bungalows - Pebble dashed, Old Fashioned, Dark and Gloomy.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your Tripadvisor comments - the second half of which reads like a 5 star review, we really appreciate it. Your comments have been passed to all departments.

With regard to the original accommodation, this was booked through an agency, namely Hoseasons. I am not trying to "pass the buck" but we can only operate on the information they give us. I have made a thorough investigation into your booking and I have found that they booked you in to a Dormer/Traditional Cottage not a bungalow and their brochure and website both state that these units have showers not baths. I am not sure how the misunderstandings came about but it may be worth your while making further enquiries with your agency.

However, I am delighted that the staff at the park were able to look after you and that you eventually had a great holiday. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.
Chulmleigh, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Just came back from a week during Whitsun with my husband and 7 year old daughter. Loved the location and nice and green, but it's more than clear that this place hasn't been updated for at least 25 years. We paid £600 for the privilege! Very old hot water tank..looked like it was on its way out, no central heating, just a few heaters spread around the property, and my husband thought everything was done as cheaply as possible. And as for the children's "play" area, you just as well not have one at all! Not even a slide! Just a couple of little house type things that the kids could climb in..my daughter took one look at it and never bothered again! Surely you can do better than that for your younger holiday makers? So instead of me maybe being able to take a stroll with her outside in the evenings so she could play in the play area, the run up to bed time she was in fairly bored and after us being out all day, mum and dad by then had run out of steam to feel like entertaining her much more. I know this is a quieter holiday park, but please invest a little more in making things a bit more attractive for your guests! People save all year and look forward to their holiday, and although your park is only a base, we feel we deserve just that little bit more. I love the location, but not sure, unfortuantely whether I would feel like coming back here a second time. Just a bit extra effort to enhance a few things would make all the difference to your park, I am sure, and you would have more repeat visitors!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Rebecca M
Patrick_Jennings, Guest Relations Manager at Kenegie Manor Holiday Park, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience at our holiday park. We certainly do not ignore any constructive criticism and perhaps there are some areas that could be improved in the interest of future guests.

Your comments have been passed on to all departments and we really hope that you will visit us again in the near future
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 7, 2013

4 adults mid-twenties, 2 small dogs and a baby (8 months).
I was fairly disappointed with the property and it's location.
The property had no central heating (electric heaters are there but they're no good on a cold morning, they take all day to warm the place up) no hot water (there's a water heater but it's useless, doesn't even fill the kitchen sink with hot water for washing up, had to use kettle) and no wifi (low phone signal and no wifi means your phone is practically useless here).
The location is also not great, yes it's close to a pub and just outside the town of penzance, but it's not walkable, the narrow hilly country lanes make it pretty impossible to walk with dogs and a pushchair, so we had to drive everywhere and virtually all carparks are pay and display.
The site is also run-down and in need of improvement. There is a swimming pool and sauna, which are OK, and a pub, but that's it really, not enough to keep any kids entertained for a week... I wouldn't call it a holiday park, ive seen campsites with more facilities.

Other info:

There was no hot water from the hot tap and if you were lucky enough to get any, it was very intermittent, so you couldn't fill the sink to wash up you had to keep boiling the leaky kettle.
The property needs central heating, there are only convector heaters which are no good on a cold morning.
The property requires wifi, there is limited phone signal anyway so having no wifi just made it worse.
Condensation drips onto the main bed from the ceiling window during the night, which is nice.
The bathroom door is a sliding door, it's the loudest door ever and it jams sometimes, locking you inside. There's also a big gap right in line with the toilet which is in line with the stairs, so there's not much privacy either.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank css_12345
warwickshire
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Just returned from a week's holiday in this privately owned apartment. This apartment is in the main Manor House . As it was privately owned it was well maintained. It was very comfortable and spacious. We did use the pool which is run by John Fowler holidays and the tennis court. The pool is ok but is really in need of refurbishment, the changing rooms definitely do. The tennis court has a very uneven surface and really dangerous to play on. Net was ok but needs resurfacing and remarking.
the grounds are nice and it is very quiet. Great location for sightseeing.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank WarwickshireReviewer
Patrick_Jennings, Guest Relations Manager at Kenegie Manor Holiday Park, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience at our holiday park. We certainly do not ignore any constructive criticism and the points you have raised will be passed on to the park managers.

Your 4 star review indicates that you observations did not spoil your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you to our park again in the near future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gulval
Hotel Penzance
#1 of 19 in Penzance
St. Ives Holiday Village
St. Ives Holiday Village
#19 of 21 in St Ives

Been to Kenegie Manor Holiday Park? Share your experiences!