“YHA at its best in Penzance”
Review of YHA Penzance

YHA Penzance
“YHA at its best in Penzance”
Reviewed September 30, 2011

Impeccably clean, large, updated bunk rooms, very friendly staff, great food. Delightful place to stay during your adventures through Penzance and surrounding areas. If on foot, it's about 20 min walk from train station.

• Stayed August 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Polish first
England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 18, 2011

I stayed for two nights. The hostel was at full capacity but it didn’t seem overcrowded. The room was comfortable and spotlessly clean. The staff were friendly and helpful. I had dinner on one evening which I felt was a little overpriced. My breakfast was better value. The bar/restaurant is airy and pleasant. The hostel was quiet at night and I slept well. I only used the self catering facilities to store some food for lunch. The fridges were very full and the self catering kitchen was really busy at breakfast.

The hostel is slightly out of town. It is about a 20mins walk or a short ride on the number 5 or 6 bus. There is a lot of do in the local area. I would recommend the Wayside museum in Zennor (bus 508). St Michael’s Mount at Marazion (Bus 2). St Ives (bus 300 or the really scenic train line). Mousehole and walking on the coast path to Lamora Cove (bus 6). If you area planning on taking buses then ask for a day ticket (£7.50 for First buses only or £10 for all bus companies and the trains in Cornwall).

I intend to return to Penzanace YHA next year. Overall a good place to stay.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank JLH22
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 15, 2011

Stayed at Penzance Youth hostel in July for a weekend with my husband and 4 children. The hostel had I think recently been refurbished. It was very well decorated and the restaurant bar area was very nice. The family room was ok for the six of us (3 bunk beds) for 2 nights. There was a TV and games room so there was entertainment on site. The £10 meal for a family of 4 was a good idea but quite small portions, we had to order two for our family of six but 3 would have been more filling, but it was very tasty. Luckily we hired a car when we got to Cornwall you cannot see the hostel from the road so it was a bit difficult to find especially with no sat nav! Would stay again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
torquay
Reviewed February 21, 2011

Have stayed a couple of times now and enjoyed both stays. Very peaceful, clean, warm and furnished superbly. We R a family of 4. Kitchen has everything u need to prepare and cook a family meal. On site restaurant is ideal and caters for families perfectly. Breakfast is also worth the money if u don't want to cook. Bar is stocked with local beer, cider etc and is all reasonably priced. All the staff that work, clean and cook were lovely, friendly people. Will be coming back again.

• Stayed February 2011
yorkshire
Reviewed August 16, 2010

A warm welcome; very comfortable and so many things to see in the area.
We felt very relaxed here and did not want to leave.
The boys - 3 and 5 yrs - loved the table football and the self catering eating area..
We hope to go again same time next year.
Anon

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Yorkshire, England
Reviewed May 24, 2010

Having arrived fairly late I was greeted by the reception staff member who was very pleasant, helpful and explained what I needed to know including how I could get out early the next morning. The person who served me at the bar was also pleasant and friendly. An example of a good youth hostel, the only slight downside was the distance from the centre which I did know beforehand.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
st.paul,mn
Reviewed August 21, 2009

I stayed at the Penzance YHA June 5-7, 2009 and got room #16. The hostel is about a 20-25 min. walk out of town from the train station. I did it with my 40lb backpack in 25min. but you can take one of the city buses that will drop you off with in about 5-10min. walking distance, depending on how fast you walk. If you have a car it is quite a bit easier to get to the YHA but you're never walking through any bad areas except for having to cross a busy road near the end.
The hostel was just finishing its rennovation when I was there. The bedroom was comfortable, fairly large sized witha disused fireplace. The beds were comfortable with a reading light and the lockers were fairly large. If I needed to shove my backpack in I could have. The shower down the hall was good sized with enough room to comfortably dress in and had good water pressure.
The only problem I had with the hostel was I was not able to do my laundry there since they had not finished their laundry room. I could wash my clothes but not dry them since there was no way to vent the hot air from the dryer. Both machines were in the basement in a cement room with no windows. The games room also while I was there had no games at all in it.
Otherwise things were fairly good. The lounge room was adequate but with only 4 channels of television to chose from. The free internet computer was down my entire stay but the kitchen was very well kept with three stoves, a microwave and two refridgerators. You can have breakfast and dinner in the cafeteria if you pay for them which I didn't do so I can't comment on that.
I would definitly stay at the YHA Penzance again in the future. The rennovated Georgian mannor was great as was the location which offered lots of privacy and quiet nights.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
#3 of 7 in St Just
Trereife House
Trereife House
#5 of 81 in Penzance

Been to YHA Penzance? Share your experiences!