“A perfect retreat in a great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Ennys

Ennys
Ranked #1 of 3 St Hilary B&B and Inns
Herts
“A perfect retreat in a great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2009

We visited Ennys for my partner's birthday weekend. I wanted somewhere special to day and was lucky to find just that. The house and gardens are beautiful and so well kept. The peaceful atmostphere just washes over you and you are immediately in holiday mode. Our room was lovely, the bed was comfortable and the linen was fresh and crisp, the information folder was packed with useful local knowledge and both the restaurants that came recommended to us by Gill - The Victoria Inn nearby and Portminster Beach Restaurant in St Ives were excellent. The breakfast at the house was delicious too. If I had to be critical, the only fault was the toiletries - no soap at all and an inadequate supply of shower gel & shampoo for our stay, it would be nice if these were replenished daily. But that tiny moan aside, we highly recommended Ennys for a luxurious and peaceful stay in this lovely area of the country.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Worcester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2009

Wow what a wonderful find! This is one of my favourite guesthouses and after a lot of travelling that takes a lot to say!

Situated in the middle of the countryside down a secluded lane is the most perfect Georgian house you will find, with immaculate gardens and beautifully presented rooms you knew you were staying somewhere special. As soon as we arrived Gill welcomed us and we settled in with a scrumptious cream tea in the garden.

Our room situated in the house had a four-poster bed and a modern bathroom, the décor was stylish and the bedding so soft and comfortable, it was lovely to sit on the cushioned window seats and watch the wildlife in the garden. There is also a heated outdoor pool which my husband tried out.

Breakfasts were lovely and the atmosphere was very relaxed. It was great after a day of sight seeing to return to homemade cakes and tea in the afternoon. Gill was very helpful and made our stay very welcome, with only 15 minutes to reach St Ives and Penzance it's an ideal location for exploring Cornwall. The local beach of Praa sands is lovely and also only 5 minutes away. We will definitely stay again on our next trip.

Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Ludlow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2009

We've stayed at Ennys on three occassions and it really is the most beautiful, warm, friendly and chic home from home.

There's always a warm welcome from Gill (the owner) and a slice of home made cake and a pot of tea to settle you in. This time we took tea in the beautiful gardens that lead through to the outdoor pool and grass tennis courts.

Our room had been re-organised to offer a bigger en-suite bathroom but everything about the rooms is just so. Crisp bedding, fab art, glossy magazines and window seats that you could happily while away a morning on, looking out over the Cornish countryside.

The house itself is a treasure trove of objects and art that Gill has collected on her travels. The mellow sitting room with walls lined in books, games, CD's and you can dock your MP3 player.

Gill's on hand to offer advice on the best places to eat and visit and I'd never miss one of her fantatsic breakfasts. We love it and we'll be back again and again!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2009

I have travelled all over the world and have mostly stayed in mid to up-market hotels and generally not guesthouses. On a recent visit to Cornwall I decided that I would get a better feel for the place if I were to stay in a guesthouse and after much deliberation booked in at Ennys for a week. I was absolutely blown away and can only say that Ennys is up there with the best of them at a fraction of the price. I could not fault anything. Everything was superb, from the welcome, to the location, decor, cleanliness, bed linen, comfort of bed and pillows, great breakfasts, information, restaurant and sightseeing recommendations - I could go on and on. From the minute you drive down that country lane and arrive at this Oasis you enter holiday mode. It is so beautiful and peaceful and after a hectic day sightseeing, what a treat to arrive back to tea and cake or to lie by the pool and read a book. I cannot recommend Ennys highly enough and it's a must if you are visiting West Cornwall.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2009

Ennys is a lovely B&B hidden in the Cornish countryside, far away from the city's buzz. Our room was nicely decorated in a very personal and unique style. I would like to highlight as well that the rooms were also very functional and contained lots of useful features e.g.: a list of all nearby restaurants with brief descriptions, full list of tourist attractions with tides timetables, torch, plenty of storage....The breakfast was to die for: it consisted of varied quality locally sourced products all served in very generous portions. The owner is also extremely knowledgeable about the area and could answer pretty much any question. Only downside is the mattress which needs to be changed asap as we had the impression to sleep on a bag of rocks. It is a shame because I would have given a 5 otherwise.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank potemkine
north yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2008

stayed at ennys in august 07 and will be returning to ennys this year in july for a nother wonderful week. you are just looked after so fantasticly we stayed in the hayloft a 2 bed appartment in the grounds ideal for a family of 4 and the after noon tea and cakes were such a delight to return to each day

• Liked — just every thing
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2007

My daughter wanted to celebrate her graduation from Oxford with "a relaxing (non-city) trip, where she could photograph nature and see for herself a heath, a moor, and a cliff." Our three night stay at Ennys highlighted our visit to bucolic Cornwall. Off the main road that winds through the quaint town of St. Hillary lies a narrow and private quarter-mile driveway that requires keen eyes to spot. Mid-way on that driveway is a section of road that descends into tunnel-like darkness created by high hedges and overhanging greenery. We dubbed it the rabbit hole, because after emerging from it and at the other end of the driveway is the lush and beautifully tended property that is Ennys. Gardens, a lawn tennis court, and a large heated pool surround the main house and attached buildings -- all beautifully maintained.

Our initial arrival, at six thirty on a rainy evening after a very long drive from Oxford, was welcomed warmly by one of Gill's friendly staff who offered us our choice of tea and cake in the sitting room. Our double room on the second floor, immaculate and furnished with decorator taste, offered a view of the flowered driveway and a large field beyond. The large, modern bathroom appeared brand new -- with sparkling white porcelain tub and shower, more than ample hot water, heated towel rack, thick, snow-white towels, and all the normal toiletry conveniences one would expect from a large hotel. The two story main house is tastefully filled with Gill's art, collected from her travels around the world. The breakfast room is lovely, cheery and bright, with views to the gardens....all rooms have that. The breakfast menu offers a wide range of choices, from vegetarian to farmhouse sausages, English bacon, fruit, breads, teas, and delicious brewed coffee.

Gill is a busy woman...she has to be to run an efficient business and maintain such a beautiful home and grounds. But she is readily available for questions about the area, offers a range of suggestions, including walks and local restaurant recommendations written up in bound books in each guestroom along with a comprehensive packet of brochures from local sites. She knows her guests...she even knew to ask "Does your daughter walk?" A strange question to some, but for those who do have kids that are not "walkers" , her suggestions were insightful and welcomed. At the end of a day of sightseeing, from 4:30-6, guests can help themselves to tea and cake set up in the huge farmhouse kitchen. We liked to prepare our tray and sit out in the gardens.

One day, rather than drive off immediately to "see the sights" of Cornwall, we elected to stay and enjoy Ennys and its many offerings. After our very filling breakfast, we chose a recommended walk through the field behind the property -- over a stile, under some low trees, over a couple of ditches and onto a path that took us through farmland to a road where we picked wild blackberries (which we took back and enjoyed with breakfast the next morning. ) After returning to the house, my daughter ambled over to the pool while I set myself up in the sitting room, planted my body and my book in a sunny window seat that looked out to the flowered lawn and gardens, played Mozart selections on Gill's stereo set, and thought I'd died and gone to heaven.

Would I return? ...in a nano-second!

I don't have my photos as I write, but I hope I can insert them later. If I can't, do yourself a favor and check out the Ennys website. The photos accurately reflect the elegance and good taste of this gem of an inn.

• Liked — Everything.
  • Disliked — The pound to dollar exchange rate!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Pat88
#2 of 3 in St Hilary
St.Bernards Guesthouse
St.Bernards Guesthouse
#2 of 105 in Newquay

Been to Ennys? Share your experiences!