“Very nice hotel”

and 1 more site!
Hotel El Fuerte
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in El Fuerte
Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

Very pleasant hotel. Decor is amazing. Loaded with antiques and knick knacks but very tastefully done. All in price was about half posted price. Rooms were large,pleasant and clean. Door not eat here so can't comment on food. Staff is small and not very helpful if you need help. They were very nice to us however letting us park or motorcycles indoors for free while we too train to copper canyon. Would definitely return. Very good location also

• Stayed: April 2013

Reviewed February 10, 2013

I had booked ahead and was looking forward to the unusual style of hotel as mentioned in many reviews. When I arrived it was badly lit, there was one staff member on duty and there was no place to get anything to eat. I was told that breakfast started at 7 in the morning (not included but I knew I'd be hungry). The first room I was given had very little natural light so I changed to another one upstairs. This seemed better and I noted both rooms were very clean.

Unfortunately, I was kept awake most of the night by an intermittent noise coming from the bathroom. Every twenty/thirty minutes it stopped and started and made it impossible to rest. I decided to go for breakfast at seven the following morning, only to be told that there was no kitchen open and no food. Being advised that the jacuzzi (hot tub) was cold was the final straw. I packed up and left for another hotel up the road. In fairness, this hotel probably has a better atmosphere during busier seasons but I was very disappointed on this occasion.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Maybe the problem was room number 18, but I cannot recommend this hotel. When we entered the room, it smelled terrible, the stench coming from the bathroom. I reported the problem, so the woman at the desk came in to the bathroom to spray something. She said the smell would go away and said we could change rooms if it persisted. It did eventually go away sometime before 1 am. I know, because I was up at that hour drenched in perspiration. The AC was insufficient to cool off the room. I ended up taking the covers off the bed and lying on the floor in the flow of air. My wife did not sleep hardly at all, which did not make for a fresh start to our Copper Canyon trip. I wished I had spent more money for a better hotel.

Room Tip: Please, mister, please, don't stay in room 18.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Trottermex
Reviewed June 4, 2012

We stayed here 2 separate nights in different rooms, book-ending our trip to the Copper Canyon. The inside of the hotel is truly amazing, the decor, furniture and art make you feel like you have walked into the quintessential Mexican Hacienda. Others may have had issues with beds - we had NO such problems in either room we stayed in, both beds were very comfortable. Showers worked fine (we definitely had enough hot water) once you figured out how to work the electric water heater located at the shower head. (Does this freak you out? If so, maybe you should stick to 'all inclusives' and leave the 'real travelling' to hardier stock.) Hotel was quiet during our stay in March, we slept well. Wireless access was available in the lobby area, but not in our room, again, not a problem. They were also having problems with their credit card macine, so we needed to pay with pesos, there were bank machines in town so again, no problem.
One block from the square, we were enchanted with El Fuerte, it has earned its' Puebla Magica designation. Laid back small town, with plenty of local families strolling the square in the evenings, good restaurants etc.
We recommend staying in El Fuerte over Los Mochis, if you're taking El Chepe to Barrancas del Cobre (the train to the Copper Canyon). The drive up takes no longer than the train ride and El Fuerte is much nicer town to stay in. For the price we definitely recommend Hotel El Fuerte.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Drudell
Reviewed December 11, 2011

I loved staying at the family run Hotel El Fuerte. Walking into the hacienda every time is a treat as you can see art, and furniture that Silvia has collected for decades from all over Mexico. If you are an art lover, this will not disappoint. In fact, I found it much more interesting and high quality than the museum right next door.They even have a fascinating Pancho Villa room with all sorts of old photos that must be quite rare.
As a woman traveling alone, I also feel very comfortable with the safety aspect of the hacienda and court room set up.. the rooms are inside, not on the street and someone stays up all night to make sure if we need anything they are there.
Prices on the rooms were very reasonable, and I found the bed in my room(31) to be quite large and comfortable..
I was on my way to Copper Canyon during my visit, and was really touched when Silvia told me Mi Casa Su Casa.. I felt she really meant it and I was enclosed in the family fold.
If I go back to El Fuerte, I would not hesitate to return here.

Room Tip: I was happy with 31.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed September 2, 2011

Recommended by the 3 Amigos. Arrived late and tired. Welcome less than overwhelming. Shown to stiffling hot room on the top floor. No information in the rooms and no obvious chance of getting a cold drink in the hotel so we turned on the aircon and went for a walk in the town square. Finally came across a small bar/restaurant attached to La Choza hotel which also were decidedly unwelcoming, but had the necessary cold beer. Had a very uncomfortable first night at hotel despite being exhausted. Beds very hard, aircon really noisy and not very efficient. After a day out 'siteseeing' and exploring the area we spent the afternoon in the dipping pool at the hotel, before going out for supper. The hotel had obviously put us in a third rate room and offered to move us to a much better room on the first floor. As there was hardly anyone in the hotel we felt that the owners could have made a lot more effort. Not great to be honest and we would have given 2 stars all round if they hadn't moved us for the second night.

Room Tip: El Fuerte could learn some lessons from San Miguel de Allende on tourism
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank PhilandRuth
Reviewed February 7, 2011

This hotel is very beautiful and a great find in the area. However, the beds were officially the worst I have ever slept on while traveling. I was in room 17 with two double bed and slept on each one with no avail. I woke up constantly having to shift around because it was so uncomfortable. There are no heaters in the rooms and Feb had record low temps. The front desk was very nice in providing extra blankets. I would suggest bringing earplugs as the music from the town can penetrate the rooms easily because of the open courtyard. On a positive note the bass/shrimp combo with rice was the best meal I had the entire trip and even if I don't stay here again I will return for the meal.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
#2 of 8 in El Fuerte
Mansion Serrano Hotel
Mansion Serrano Hotel
#1 of 8 in El Fuerte

Been to Hotel El Fuerte? Share your experiences!