“Quaint and artistic. Great owners.”
Review of Rio Vista Hotel

Rio Vista Hotel
Reviewed April 29, 2014

We stayed in this hotel both before and after our great trip to Copper Canyon on the Chepe train. We had three rooms for six of us. It's a unique property, filled with folk art and artifacts. Each room is unique, hand-painted, spacious and cute. Nearly all of them have a river view. This place would be particularly attractive to artistic types who would enjoy the hand painting. The owner, Chal, told me this was his father's farm, and he and his brothers started with one room 28 years ago, gradually adding onto the place until the current funky charm. It is not without problems--the tiny swimmng pool is murky and unappealing. And there are piles of unfinished projects lying around. It's not the Radisson. If that sort of thing bothers you, then don't stay here. The beds ARE hard, as are many in Mexico, but personally it doesn't bother me. I slept great. Chal's brother Felipe took us on an amazing bird watching trip on the river where we saw literally dozens of different species of birds. Very cool. Also petroglyphs. Bring BUG SPRAY. Preferably Deep Woods Off. Its location over the river means lots of bugs. There are also stairs, since your rooms are hanging over the river. The best thing about this place is Chal, aka Eleazar Gamez, who's the nicest guy ever and who would do anything for you. He even took us to the train station and, without asking, ordered a taxi for us to pick us up from the train so we didn't have to scramble. They also have a little restaurant there, we onlly ate breakfast, but it was good and only 80 pesos, around $6 for a full breakfast. We paid $45 U.S. a night for a spacious, clean room decorated really cute. No wi-fi though, had to go out to the lobby area for that. There was a TV with one English channel. I wouldn't think of staying anywhere else.

Room Tip: Room 15 has an amazing view of the river and cool decorations too, but all the rooms I saw were pret...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank marlajfish

Reviewed April 25, 2014

Great staff, very friendly, very helpful. The views are fantastic, the breakfast is lovely, and the hotel is very unusual. It does need a bit of work, but the rooms are a good size, and the prices are more than reasonable. It is very eclectic as others have said, the views from room 22,23 and 24 are fantastic. We had breakfast outside our room and we loved it. The breakfast is huge and a very good price. They have lots of feeders and fruit out for hummingbirds, there was one right outside our room. It was very busy and I have many great photos and videos. Stay here for more than one night, el fuerte is lovely. Plenty to see with great people, food and of course weather. It's not just a starting or finishing point the el chepe train.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 14, 2014

Chal and his brothers run one of those little gems of a place that appeals to experienced travelers who seek out reasonable comfort but with a large dose of CHARACTER. The Rio Vista delivers. The rooms and hallways are covered in folk art...so fun and so colorful. The rooms and beds are comfortable if sometimes just a little funky... Get over it. The location high above the river is super, especially if you're a bird watcher. But it is Chal and his brothers that make the place even more special. Chal is a real character and avid bird watcher himself. Get him to take you on a morning bird watching excursion. They can arrange guided trips or just provide instructions for self-guide walks. Don't miss a walk along the river or a hike to the nearby petroglyphs, a trip out to Chal's Tarahumara Indian friends and private dance performance...evenings in the town plaza. Just delightful and very reasonable. We planned to stay one night on the way up to Creel. We stay three and then returned for another two nights!

Room Tip: All the rooms have their own charm... ones with river views are nice but not necessary since you can...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 23, 2014

The hotel is conveniently located. The building is sprawling and fairly rustic.We stayed one night before catching El Chepe. There were very few guests, probably because of the season. There was a heavy rainfall which caused a leak in our room that the staff dealt with calmly. Our room was comfortable with interesting decor and a great view. The restaurant was closed but a table was set up for us and a good dinner provided. The owners and staff were fantastic, really friendly and helpful. This is a great place to stay if you want a genuine Mexican experience.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a view of the river.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 14, 2014

Best service we've ever had at an hotel. Run by three brothers it has a family feel. One brother Chal made a special effort to recover our lost case, another Phillipe took us on a wonderful river boat bird watching tour and Nacho prepared us a great breakfast.
So often you can feel people just want your cash but these three gentlemen restore your faith in good service and want you to have a great time

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the river and a room with wi-fi
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 30, 2013

Maybe not so chic... no, really, I loved it at first sight, but first impressions can be deceiving when you dig a little deeper. 3 stars doesn't really describe it. 3 stars is average, or "just ok." No, chain motels are "just ok." What was good about this place was really good, but what was gross was really gross.

First, the good. While the decor is, shall we say, eclectic, and the restaurant looks defunct, the rooms look really nice. The fact that the advertised TV in my room was nonexistent didn't matter one bit, when the room had a wonderful view overlooking the river, complete with its own private balcony. I did want internet, and the owner graciously lent me his own computer and told me I could use it whenever and give it back in the morning. Truly above and beyond! I asked about transfer to the train station and he said that they'd take care of it in the morning. Great! Oh, and four (albeit small) bottles of water were provided. Actually it was nice to have pocket-size water bottles. Very handy.

Then I started noticing a few not so nice things. Some fixtures were in disrepair. They still worked, so I didn't care much. Just like the outside. The hotel seems to be a long-term work in progress in general. The floor did fill up with water around the sink and in the bathroom, which was somewhat annoying.

The beds... I was all set to book at Hotel El Fuerte until I read about the rock hard beds there. This is the primary reason I chose this place. My room had two beds, one comfortable, one where you could feel every bedspring. Easy choice, right? Well... the only problem was when I looked at the sheets of the comfortable one, I noticed several yellowish stains -yuck. It was probably too late to get anyone to change sheets, and I didn't want to bother with the hassle of changing rooms, so I just opted to sleep on a springy bed for one night. Bad choice for my back the next day.

Looking at the sheets more closely now, and especially the bed covers, I noticed a fair amount of creepy crawlies. Not overwhelming, but not just one or two either. A couple bugs here, a couple small ants there, a jumping bug (a flea perhaps) here. On the floor were more bugs. Again, not crawling with them, but not where I'd want to walk with bare feet. OK, I understand it's a tropical climate. What was inside the room was nothing compared to the entomologist's dream located just outside. And clearly some attempt was made to keep the bugs out. Windows seemed tight, door had a fixture to prevent bugs from coming in through the crack between the door and the floor. Good that they're trying, but they're obviously not succeeding.

I didn't get eaten alive, but the worst was perhaps yet to come. In the morning, I noticed that swimming in the little pool of water inside the sink around the drain, were tiny little worms -just wiggling around in their wormy way.

Breakfast did look appetizing, and was served in an atmospheric patio with a view, but I chose not to partake. I would hope they use purified water instead of larvae-infested water, but I really didn't want to take the chance. Besides, my appetite was kind of ruined now anyway.

And then there was that transfer... it was by taxi, and it was extra charge of course. 150 pesos divided by 3 people in the car wasn't that much I guess, but I presume it would've been more for me if I was alone.

So yeah... atmopshperic hotel, nice enough staff, but not the cleanest place.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 21, 2013

Hotel Rio Vista. November 2013. What a treat this little place was. A beautiful view of the river from the highest point around. The hotel is a quaint old building right next to the fort/museum. When I say close I mean that the back wall of the fort is the side wall of the hotel walkway. We were greeted by Eleazar spoke good English. He showed us a couple of rooms and we picked la beautiful corner room. The sitting room which was attached to the bedroom stuck out on the patio with a 180 degree view. They brought us 2 quarts of bottled water gratis. This building is not a plastic and steel Hilton. It is rustic colonial with many antiques around the outside and older fixtures inside.

We had a breakfast at 7 am before catching the 830 train to the Copper Canyon. (a 10 minute 100 peso cab ride). They came to our room door and told us that coffee was ready, just like the 1000 room Hiltons do :). Breakfast was several kinds of fruits, toast, eggs, coffee. Price was 75 pesos each. Our total bill was 800 pesos which included room, tax, meal, and a ride to the hotel.

To get to El Fuerte from Topolobampo , we took 15 minute bus ride to Los Mochis for 17 pesos each. Then walked 2 blocks to the bus station that took is to El Fuerte. This bus was a modern bus with a movie and air conditioning and cost 70 pesos each and took about 2 hours. When in El Fuerte we walked a few blocks to the Zocolo, which is the main square with the cathedral and municipal building. Very beautiful. Along the way we had passed a restaurant called Meson del General that looked good. so we went back a block and ate there. Excellent sea food. Air conditioned also. Beautiful colonial decor. Our bill for two was was 340 pesos including a pitcher of lemonade and a coffee.

We called the hotel from the Zocolo (thinking it was a distance away, turned out to be a couple of blocks) and they sent down a fun ride. A open trailer, painted multi colors, pulled by a truck. It is the same one they use to take people on Eco tours. They specialize in bird tours and petroglyphs toys. We did not do these. We would consider staying in this town an extra day if time permitted. This is authentic colonial Mexico.

Book this place... you will be pleased.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple