“Yummy breakfast in the inner west” 4 of 5 bubbles

Cornersmith Cafe
Ranked #5 of 126 Restaurants in Marrickville
Cuisines: Cafe, Australian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Cornersmith02 8065 0844Great Food, they make their own pickles/jams and have bee hives on the rood for their own honey.
Sydney, Australia
“Yummy breakfast in the inner west”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

Excellent coffee, combined with a delicious breakfast of soft poached eggs, roma tomoatoes & basil in vin cotto. House made chilli tomoato relish fantastic! We had to wait, but not for long and they took a coffee whilst we waitied whih helped a lot.

• Visited February 2013

• Korean first
“Boiler room”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

Went with my partner for breakfast, arrived with a Line up outside which was no problem, we ordered a coffee while waiting, the coffee was prob the worst I've had in Sydney, the brand Mecca coffee is crap. We where seated inside in front of the kitchen, the food look really good so I was anxious to try, while waiting for our food flys where buzzing around in the cake display compartment, the dinning room was so bloody hot I couldn't stop sweating, ( helps to invest in an AC guys) the food was served To us we didn't wait to long, I must say it looked very nice until we started to eat it. Poached eggs were over cooked and the food was so bland, I was so disappointed I couldn't wait to leave.
Sorry fellas doesn't live up to the hype!

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nothing special about this place that sets it apart from the rest except the lack of hospitality”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

I follow the philosophy that if you don’t have something good to say, don’t say anything. For that reason, and also because it takes time and effort to write reviews, I don’t usually write reviews -specially not bad ones. However, I was so unimpressed by Cornersmith that I thought I would say something so that customers, like myself who go there based on on-line reviews, don’t have unreasonable expectations – as I did.

It is the only cafe that I have been told to move on from because there were people waiting outside. I understand that it is annoying for cafe owners when you have people who buy a coffee and occupy a, income producing, table all day. For that reason on this particular Saturday (16 February 2013), although we had been offered a table, we chose to sit at the bench and not occupy a table because we were waiting for a friend who was coming from afar. While we waited we ordered drinks. Our friend, after catching 2 trains and a bus, finally arrived (30 minutes late) and also ordered a coffee. We sat and chatted with her while she drank her coffee. All three of us were seated at the bench. Our friend was half way through her coffee when the barista (Jimmy I think?), possible the owner, reached over and told us to move on because “guys there are people waiting”. I apologised and said that she (pointing to our friend) came late and was finishing her coffee. Nonetheless, we promptly, politely vacated our seats. Our friend left her half-drunk coffee. I was embarrassed, especially as I had advocated that we all travel out to Marrickville because I had read great reviews of this place - Cornersmith.

So… constructive feedback for Cornersmith… be transparent with customers eg put a sign outside the café that patrons are expected to vacate their seats within xx minutes/hours (a set time limit). This is not unreasonable for a café to ask. However, it allows a customer to make a decision whether to come in or go elsewhere. If it is the case, tell customers that if they spend above $XX they will get preferential treatment. Accept that your business is in the hospitality industry and that ‘hospitality’ is about making a customer feel valued irrespective of whether he/she spends $2 or $102. It is not the customers fault that your premises do not cater for the volume of business the café is attracting. Learn diplomacy – there are many ways of communicating a message. Check that a customer has finished his/her drink before you start hinting that maybe they should consider getting on with the rest of their day. Possibly consider the natural balance that occurs as you get a variety of customers coming through on a daily basis ie as one customer spends longer sipping their coffee, you get another who spends $70 on breakfast and is out of there within 20 minutes.

My coffee was great but it is Mecca coffee – I would not expect anything less from Mecca. I can go to Mecca (67 King St, Sydney CBD – 2 kms from home) and get the same coffee (if not better because I prefer BonSoy whereas Conersmith use original VitaSoy). There are so many amazing cafes around that do fantastic, reasonably priced, food using fresh ingredients. Equally, there are so many cafes with amazing décor. ‘Hospitality” and “Service” sets one café apart from another. Without hospitality and service, there is nothing special about this café. I would not go back. I will go elsewhere for good food and good coffee.

• Visited February 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MaddyJones
Toronto
“YUM”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

I didn't know worsteshire could taste so good. Still dealing with the cravings. They make a perfect coffee too. Great vibe, so busy but they all seemed to manage it so well.

Sydney, Australia
“Best cafe in Marrickville”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

Great coffee and fantastic food using excellent quality produce - local seasonal and delicious. Only drawback is it's tiny and always packed so good luck getting in!

Visited December 2012