“Delicious!!”
Review of The George Inn

The George Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Croscombe
Cuisines: British, Pub, Healthy
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Special occasions, Kids, Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: The George is an award-winning, traditional, family-owned and operated 17th century village pub. We serve fresh food prepared from local ingredients, including game and foraged foods. We grow our own veg, herbs and fruit and make our own ice creams as well (try our damson ice cream with plums from the back garden). We love cooking fresh fish and seafood from the south coast and our locally produced meat is mouth-wateringly good. We have two craft beers produced exclusively for us, three other guest ales and eight local ciders. With a lovely beer garden for the summer and a log fire in the winter, families and dog-walkers are always welcome. We have four en-suite bedrooms for b&b and a multi-purpose self-contained function room and skittles alley. But most of all there is "... ALWAYS A FRIENDLY WELCOME."
Derby, United Kingdom
“Delicious!!”
Reviewed November 6, 2013

We stayed in Croscombe for our honeymoon and ate at the George 3 times (it was THAT good!). The service was quick and very friendly. The waiting staff were attentive but not over-bearing. The food was to die for- simple food done oh so very well.
Steak night on Thursday (2 steaks for about £22) and Curry Buffet on Thursday (£11 if you booked, £15 if you didn't) were fab- curry night was packed.
Excellent beer and cider selections, and some very tasty wine.
A lovely welcome from the staff and landlord. Highly reccomended!!

Visited October 2013
TheGeorge, Owner at The George Inn, responded to this review, November 17, 2013
Nicola L, I'm so pleased you liked it here. I hope you'll be back for one of your anniversaries!

Best regards,

Somerset
“Service unusually slow”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Use this pub restaurant regularly and have always been pleased with food and standard of service. However on our last visit we waited 25 minutes for our second course and eventually gave up and left without completing our meal. Suspect that as the owners were away standards had slipped somewhat.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank greenbank54
TheGeorge, Owner at The George Inn, responded to this review, November 17, 2013
Thank you for your feedback, Greenbank54. I'm sorry you had such a long wait and that we didn't catch it in time for you to be kept abreast of the progress of your meal. We were away and I understand we had some service problems that normally would not occur.

We're constantly trying to strengthen our staff capacity and we have been making changes to our service methods. We've still got room to improve and I hope we'll do better for you next time. Please mention your experience to me the next time you are in.

Yours sincerely,
Caldicot, Wales, United Kingdom
“Like going round to a friends house for dinner”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

This pub is a lovely place to eat! A family run pub and the owners were so friendly and made us really welcome. I would categorise the food as traditional pub grub and it was delicious. The only reason I gave it four and not five stars was that my steak was a bit more cooked than I would have liked. But it was a lovely steak nonetheless. The syrup sponge pudding was heaven! I would highly recommend this pub for anybody looking for good traditional comfort food in a pub steeped in history with a warm welcome from the staff. Will definitely be returning even though we live over an hour away!!

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Abbie S
TheGeorge, Owner at The George Inn, responded to this review, November 17, 2013
Abbie S, thank you for your review. We do try to make great food served in a friendly way and I'm pleased you felt very comfortable here. We'll look forward to seeing you again.

Yours sincerely,
wiltshire
“Bad experience”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

We have visited the George several times in the past and had a good experience. However, our experience on a Saturday lunchtime visit recently was very disappointing and we will not be returning. Firstly, my Son found a large insect in his fried egg (probably a crane fly). It was very visible to us all. On complaining, the plate was taken away and the egg replaced. Someone came and sort of apologised, but I would have expected some sort of gesture such as a free drink or something, or even a really big apology, but nothing! Then we foolishly ordered 3 puddings, only 2 arrived - again my poor son missed out (perhaps a misunderstanding, but you would think that if 3 people order 2 deserts it might be worth asking if we only want 2). Anyway, we paid up and left, but unfortunately we will not be visiting again. Very poor service and attitude.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank trombonelady
TheGeorge, Owner at The George Inn, responded to this review, November 17, 2013
Thank you, trombone lady, for your feedback. We're disappointed that the cranefly slipped in somehow and I'm disappointed our apologies were not adequate. I'm sorry the pudding was missed too, but we often do have a different number of puddings than customers at a table.

I've reviewed the situation with my wife, who enquired with you before you left, and she had thought it was not a big issue. However, we will be clearer about responding to accidents and complaints in the future and will try to have the chef come directly out to apologise. I'm sorry we were not clear with you but if you do choose to give us a chance again I'd be happy to provide you both a free drink and a free pudding.
Sincerely yours, Peter Graham
England, United Kingdom
“Outstanding Sunday Best”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

We visited the George this Sunday for Sunday Best, and were not dis-appointed.

The proprietors were warm, welcoming and friendly, the staff excellent and the food was literally outstanding.

We all had Sunday roast - the vegetable 'mountain' was a perfect selection of seasonal goodies, not over cooked and well presented, the roasties were a strong 9.7/10 and the yorkies....well, the dilemma was whether to smother is the delicious gravy or not.

Desert time came and as a non-pudding eater I was instantly drawn to the homemade crumble (being a safe option and not too sweet) - this was fine until I discovered they make their own ice-cream!! Wow - Damsel icecream and crumble, I even had a cheeky jug of custard swell.. .

Great ales on tap, games for the children and a friendly group of locals catching up with their weekly tales.

All in all, a perfect way to spend 2 or three hours over Sunday roast - we will definitely be returning - the rumours regarding the George are not incorrect.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank AView4U
TheGeorge, Owner at The George Inn, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Thank you for your comments, Peter G. I know we serve a roast I would like to eat if I was going out, and I'm pleased you like it here. Looking forward to seeingy ou agian.
Best regards,