“Couldn't wait to get back here”
Review of Cafe Campestre

Cafe Campestre
Ranked #1 of 5 Restaurants in Balgue
Cuisines: Asian, Cafe
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Cafe Campestre prepares fresh food daily using organic ingredients many of which are from our farm. We are passionate about food and have created a varied and interesting menu featuring local and international cuisines. We have great local coffee, a relaxed environment, Wifi and some of the most interesting and innovative English language tours on Ometepe.
Reviewed August 11, 2012

After last time, this was the most important place to get to after reaching Ometepe again. And we were certainly not disappointed. What fabulous food, and so much choice! All served with attention to detail and friendly service. I think it's even healthy too, but just tastes fantastic anyway. It's a nice place to hang out - go for tea and cake and just carry on until you want dinner, company and booze. Don't miss this gem.

1  Thank IguanaPhile
There are newer reviews for Cafe Campestre

Reviewed June 24, 2012

We ate here a couple of times while on Ometepe. It was great! I am a vegetarian and there were lots of options - not your normal rice and beans.

the menu had a wide range of food and they even had cake and ice cream!

the staff was great too! Highly recommended

2  Thank Alyssa L
Reviewed May 5, 2012

During a recent stay on Nicaragua's Isla de Ometepe, my wife and I decided to make the approximately 2 mile walk from Santa Cruz to Balgue to try Cafe Campestre - we'd heard great things! We donned our headlamps, and ventured out on to the dirt roads on a Saturday night. The walk, in itself, was an adventure: besides the light of the moon, the walk is mostly pitch black. Since it was a Saturday night, the locals were out socializing and having fun. The island was full of energy.

We arrived to Cafe Campestre after a 30 minute walk and quickly realized this wasn't your traditional Nicaraguan eatery. The menu included homemade breads, pastas, and curries. I ordered the chicken curry, and it was some of the best I'd ever eaten. The spices were just right, and the chicken was perfectly cooked and tender. My wife ordered homemade linguini with chili oil and tomatoes. Her meal was good, but couldn't hold a candle to the curry. After dinner we tried their homemade chocolate cake with ice cream. The cake was dense, moist, and delicious. The cake was washed down with some great coffee - perhaps the best we'd had in Nicaragua up until that point, even in the 90 degree heat of the early evening.

Over dinner we had the opportunity to talk with two other parties of travelers, who all had equally positive thoughts about their meals.

Because of our great experience, we went for dinner a second time during our short stay on Ometepe and found the experience to be just as enjoyable and delicious. If I ever have a chance to visit Ometepe again, I'll be heading quickly to Cafe Campestre for some more of that delicious curry.

4  Thank David B
Reviewed April 27, 2010

Though I didn't actually sleep at the hotel, I was able to enjoy the restaurant. Nearly every ingredient is home grown and/or made from scratch. The food flavors were absolutely amazing. Ben, the owner of Casa Campestre was extremely hospitable and friendly. The next time I am in this part of the world, I will plan on eating from this delicious menu. I highly recommend Casa Campestre.

1  Thank ndpietsch
Reviewed March 19, 2010

Although I confess that we didn't in fact stay at Casa Campestre on La Isla de Ometepe we took every opportunity to eat at their delightful restaurant. We would arrive after touring the island for the day (on motorbike - highly recommend doing this) or climbing a volcano and spend the evening chatting with Ben, the perfect host (knowledgeable, attentive and a darn good cook) and drinking a few beers before tucking into homemade pasta with garden greens (no iceberg here) and garlic tortillas (also homemade).

Ben also runs fishing tours and their finca looks delightful - I wish I had found out about it before arriving on the island (we had already booked somewhere to stay).

When back on La Isla I'll be at Casa Campestre. I can almost taste the fresh pasta now!!