“Great views and service, amazing food... Shame about the accommodation”
Review of Totoco Eco-Lodge

and 1 more site!
Totoco Eco-Lodge
Ranked #1 of 7 Balgue B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Pros -
1) service - Erik and Maria are extremely helpfull and made our stay as comfortable and stress free as possible.
2) the food is amazing... Simple breakfast and dinner options but tasted good.
3) location - the views are just to die for.. Something you will remember for the rest of your life.

Cons -
1) the rooms - even as an Eco-lodge I expect the basics - clean and comfort.. Neither were met... At first glance the room looks good... It's only once you start using it do you realise it's pitfalls.. The composting toilet - great idea but it stinks... If I wanted to be camping I could of gone to a campsite...
The bed- mattress was completely set in, told the owner after the first night he said thanks and would look into it, nothing was done... Mosquito net- had so many holes in it... We are in the forest, even the locals have proper ones... I got 27 bites in one night... My wife got more..
Room cleaning - lets just say the bed is made for you... Floors are not even sweeped and wiped and bathroom is not even washed down.

Conclusion - great location and service by the staff and greAt food. But in terms of a basic accommodation, many hostels would be better nigh sleep...

My personal conclusion is that the owner has the right concept in an Eco lodge, but that doesn't mean he can call it top end accommodation, and provide below the bare minimum just because its an 'Eco-lodge'. Basics of hygiene, descent mattress and insect protection are not to much to ask for.

Would not recommend this place at the currents rates.

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank Frank_Tank_10
TOTOCO_Management, General Manager at Totoco Eco-Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

Dear Frank_Tank_10, I'm very sorry to hear that the room didn't live up to your expectations. I assure you I had the mattress replaced by a new one the same day you mentioned that it was set in! I'm sorry if I didn't let you know. Also, our staff should be sweeping and wiping down the the entire lodge on a daily basis so I will be discussing your feedback internally.

Our compost toilet system is an essential aspect of our commitment to responsible and ecologically sustainable practices and although it can still be improved it is clean, hygienic and virtually odourless when working properly. I'm also surprised to hear you suffered bug bites during the night which hasn't ever happened before seeing as the lodges are fully gazed and the mosquito nets are very effective despite the small tears that inevitably develop.

Suffice it to say we will take your comments on board as we seek to continually improve our quality. Sincerely, Martijn Priester

There are newer reviews for Totoco Eco-Lodge

Reviewed November 8, 2012

I was completely wowed by Totoco - from the staff, to the authentic and amazing food, the seriously charming room we had - every tiny thing exceeded my expectations. The toilet system might take a little getting used to - it's a mulch system (or at least it was when I was there) but truly that's about the only thing I can muster to even mention that isn't 100% glowing.

Also worth mentioning - bring back as much of the coffee that grows on the slopes of Maderas Volcano as you can. I was so sad when I ran out.

One word of warning: if you're planning to scale Maderas volanco - heed the warnings. If you're not in good shape, it's a monster of a trip - I've run 10k's and half marathons and it was tough. Not for everyone.

Hope to be back sometime! If I'm ever near Nicaragua again, Ometepe and Totoco Eco Lodge are on my list for sure.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 1, 2012

My husband and I spent two nights at Totoco in September 2012 and had a wonderful experience. The way that they have incorporated their lodge into the natural landscape is simply amazing. It is so quiet and peaceful. We stayed in the bamboo suite and fell in love with its outdoor shower. The staff at Totoco provides top quality personalized service without being intrusive. The food is out of this world and the view of the volcano from our suite and the infinity edge pool in unmatched! Before arriving at Totoco I was highly concerned about the composting toilets. Let me reassure you that there is nothing to worry about. Its so much cleaner that I ever could have imagined and no smell at all. The only downfall to Totoco is the road that you must take to get to it for the last 10 minutes or so of your drive. Its quite simply the worst road in Nicaragua so don't plan to travel it multiple times a day.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 8, 2012

It's quite a journey to reach but once you do, you are rewarded with a great view of the volcano and the lake.

The hotel is very charming and rustic, the communal areas are very nice, the pool refreshing and the food very good.

The bungalow is well built and comfortable with a nice hammock. It also comes with an interesting composting toilet!. If you don't like bugs, beware as there a lots, including a scorpion in the room but it added to the fun. Bring a torch as it is very dark at night after dinner getting back to your room.

Martjin and the Tococo staff are very friendly and helpful and made us feel very welcome.

I would highly recommend staying there!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JamesOwen
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Totoco is a wonderful eco-lodge in an amazing location. The staff is friendly, the food delicious, and the sunsets are stunning. The hotel makes it easy to figure out all there is to do in Ometepe, and one can choose to have adventures every day or just stay and relax by the amazing hotel infinity pool. We did the hike to the coffee finca and petroglyphs, where we saw many howler monkeys and different types of birds along the way. It was arranged by the hotel, and we had a great guide. It was not too strenuous and we had plenty of time to relax by the pool afterward. I wish we could have stayed longer and gone to the San Ramon waterfalls. As far as our room, it was clean, the bed was comfortable, and we had hot water.

Room Tip: We stayed in Ometepl. It has hot water and a power source for charging your electronic devices.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 5, 2012

We really enjoyed our stay. Friendly staff, peaceful atmosphere, cute cabanas, lots to do or spend quality time at the pool (like we did). Real feeling of living with nature, owl, monkey and eagle seen on the property in just a 2 night stay. Pet friendly, fair drink/lunch prices.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 2, 2012 via mobile

My travel companion and I had the pleasure of turning a one-night stay into three at this beautifully laid-out and peaceful lodge. It has everything you want and then some - sweeping views, charming accommodation options, friendly staff, infinity pool, bar and restaurant, jungle, and....monkeys. Yes, you'll need to learn to adapt to a compost toilet, some creepy crawlers and bug bites...but a mini owl flew into the dining room during evening drinks and hung out with us. Yeah, I mean seriously rare and cool. We particularily enjoyed the plunge pool on top of the house, conversation and laughs with Martijn, Marlon's coffee plantation tour, Lydia's divine massages, and our friendly driver Adolfo. Do yourself a favour and get here before you can't afford it anymore!

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Goofers_Bubby
Also consider these accommodations in or near Balgue
Hotel Villa Paraiso
#3 of 7 in Balgue
El Zopilote
El Zopilote
#1 of 7 in Santa Cruz

Been to Totoco Eco-Lodge? Share your experiences!