“Impressive”

and 1 more site!
Totoco Eco-Lodge
Ranked #1 of 7 Balgue B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Tourism in Ometepe seems to be developing at a fast pace and I found it hard to find reliable reviews of places to stay before I booked. I'm glad I went for Totoco. It is a genuine working Finca, set up to benefit the community and not just the owners. The staff here are all locally employed and are very friendly and helpful. In terms of activities the lodge offers a lot and you can do as much or as little as you like. The cabinas are very comfortable and built to the highest standard, with great views of Conception. The bar and dinner area is amazing and the food is delicious. I would recommend this place to anyone.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 26, 2012

I stayed at Totoco on the recommendation of a friend who told me that, of all his Nicaraguan recommendations, Totoco was the "must-do". Before going on my trip through Nicaragua, Costa Rica, and Panama, I contacted Martijn, one of the founders of Totoco, and he was fast and efficient in his replies and advice on travel, how to get to Totoco, activities, etc.

When I arrived, it was obvious that the staff was very efficient and helpful in planning activities, meals, and advice. They were also extremely friendly, which was a big part of my travelling experiences as I am learning the Spanish language. It was obvious that some of the characteristics I saw in the staff were probably a direct testament to Martijn's leadership at Totoco, as I had great conversation with him, as well. One thing to take into consideration is the cost of arriving at Totoco. The taxi organized through Totoco's website was easy, but also costly (~$35 one way). If you can figure out the bus system, and are up for a 40 minute hike up to Totoco with your luggage, it would be much easier on your wallet.

The views from Totoco are unreal. Concepcion Volcano at sunset parallels seeing Michaelangelo's "The David" or Rome's Trevi Fountain, except that Concepcion is a natural wonder. The feeling of tranquility and isolation were unexpected and enchanting, especially for someone like me who loves to be busy and surrounded by activity. This led me to extend my stay another day at Totoco.

As far as activities, one of the employees (Yuri [sp?]) helped me organize a hike to a lagoon in the crater of the Maderas Volcano that was pretty strenuous and very muddy, as advertised in Totoco's detailed activity guide book. I also spent a day ATVing around the island, which was a great way to see the dozens of villages and interact with locals, as well as getting the always unique views of the island.

The food at Totoco was delicious and fresh, with the chicken dinner in jalapeno sauce being my favorite. One caveat here: for budget travellers who are sticking to a fixed, low cost budget, the meals can get pretty expensive.

I stayed in the dorm area, which was awesome. The netting around the bed made it seem as if the insects, although you can hear them, weren't even there.

Overall, Totoco was arguably the highlight of my 4 week trek through Central America. The friendly and efficient staff and management, innumerable activities, and general uniqueness of the island make it a place that I will definitely recommend and attend to upon my return to Nicaragua.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 26, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Totoco for two nights while on our honeymoon and we loved it! The staff was very helpful in coordinating our hike to Concepcion; they set us up with a knowledgable guide, an early breakfast, and a lunch to go for the day. Upon return, we enjoyed kicking up our feet in the hammock on our patio while sipping a Tona and staring out at the volcano we just conquered. All of the food was so fresh and delicious and Martin and his staff were very friendly and accomodating. We plan on returning to Totoco for an anniversary trip in the future!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 16, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at Totoco for a week after a reccomendation from a friend. We were not sure what to expect, but needless to say, Totoco exceeded our expectations.
From the minute we arrived, we were innundated with a sense of relaxation due to the peaceful atmosphere of the surrounding nature, comfortable and romantic bungalows, and the ever-helpful staff. Waking up to the sounds of nature, and a view of Volcan Concepcion was magical. At sundown, the pool is the best place to be, with an unbeatable view of the sunset. As if it couldn't get any better, the food is absolutley delicious. Consequently, we were sad to leave, and are already planning our next trip back!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JennaLongoria
Reviewed July 10, 2012

What a fantastic experience. The facilities, staff, overriding philosophy and surroundings are perfect. There is so much to experience and the staff is extremely helpful in facilitating everything. The food was very fresh and tasty. Could not recommend it enough.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We had a lovely stay at the lodge and found the eco-travel aspect of the property inspiring. The composting toilets are not nearly as scary as you might think and it was eye opening to experience a bit of off-the-grid life in the wilderness... it is not as difficult or extreme as you may think and with a few small adjustments you will completely forget you are at a 100% solar powered location. The views were exceptional and the activities easy to schedule (we had great experiences kayaking and horseback riding). The food was very good as well and all of it is home made on premise (be sure to try the delicious bread). That being said, Totoco may not be for everyone and you should have a high degree of comfort with small creatures running around in your room (mostly lizards, big insects and spiders) as well as the lack of sustained hot water for showers. Personally, I would have liked our room to have been a little more closed off from the outside elements but we never had any problems falling asleep or with any night time creatures. The road to Totoco is as rough and steep as advertised so make sure you have a taxi that is willing to drive you to the top. One of the owners of the property (Martin) mentioned that they are looking to expand the number of cabanas on site which may allow for some more amenities and there was a great deal of road construction being done while we were there so perhaps things will be different in the future.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 24, 2012

stayed three nights and it was incredible. the view from the lounge is breathtaking and the cabanas blend perfectly into the beautiful garden. all members of staff were genuinely kind and welcoming. the food was truly delicous and the cabanas spacious, clean and comfortable. the only downer was when I took a kayak tour that was organised by the lodge. the owner of the kayak shop, a guy from Spain called Fernando, was rude to me and his staff and scammed me and my driver into buying lunch from his restaurant. basically, while I was kayaking he told the driver that I had said I'd pay for anything the driver would consume while waiting for me and upon my return I was presented with a hefty bill that was a multiple of what my lunch cost. my kayaking tour had been so amazing and the rudeness of this guy really pulled me down a lot. i told totoco lodge about the incident afterwards and they assured me they would make sure it doesn't happen again. I absolutely recommend totoco lodge and the kayak tour but truly hope they will choose a different kayak operator in the future as this Fernando guy really doesn't deserve any tourist's money.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Balgue
Hotel Villa Paraiso
Hotel Villa Paraiso
#1 of 4 in Isla de Ometepe
La Omaja Hotel and Restaurant
La Via Verde - Organic Farm and B&B
La Via Verde - Organic Farm and ...
#5 of 52 in Isla de Ometepe
#1 of 4 in Santa Cruz
Selvista Guesthouses
Selvista Guesthouses
#3 of 7 in Balgue

Been to Totoco Eco-Lodge? Share your experiences!