All reviewshowler monkeysconcepcion volcanolocal communitybreathtaking viewsoutdoor showerlake nicaraguasolar powercloud forestcompost toiletshot waterbreakfast and dinneroff gridbeautiful experienceclose to natureremote locationmagical placebring a flashlight
Reviewed July 26, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Totoco for two nights while on our honeymoon and we loved it! The staff was very helpful in coordinating our hike to Concepcion; they set us up with a knowledgable guide, an early breakfast, and a lunch to go for the day. Upon return, we enjoyed kicking up our feet in the hammock on our patio while sipping a Tona and staring out at the volcano we just conquered. All of the food was so fresh and delicious and Martin and his staff were very friendly and accomodating. We plan on returning to Totoco for an anniversary trip in the future!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 16, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at Totoco for a week after a reccomendation from a friend. We were not sure what to expect, but needless to say, Totoco exceeded our expectations.
From the minute we arrived, we were innundated with a sense of relaxation due to the peaceful atmosphere of the surrounding nature, comfortable and romantic bungalows, and the ever-helpful staff. Waking up to the sounds of nature, and a view of Volcan Concepcion was magical. At sundown, the pool is the best place to be, with an unbeatable view of the sunset. As if it couldn't get any better, the food is absolutley delicious. Consequently, we were sad to leave, and are already planning our next trip back!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JennaLongoria
Reviewed July 10, 2012

What a fantastic experience. The facilities, staff, overriding philosophy and surroundings are perfect. There is so much to experience and the staff is extremely helpful in facilitating everything. The food was very fresh and tasty. Could not recommend it enough.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We had a lovely stay at the lodge and found the eco-travel aspect of the property inspiring. The composting toilets are not nearly as scary as you might think and it was eye opening to experience a bit of off-the-grid life in the wilderness... it is not as difficult or extreme as you may think and with a few small adjustments you will completely forget you are at a 100% solar powered location. The views were exceptional and the activities easy to schedule (we had great experiences kayaking and horseback riding). The food was very good as well and all of it is home made on premise (be sure to try the delicious bread). That being said, Totoco may not be for everyone and you should have a high degree of comfort with small creatures running around in your room (mostly lizards, big insects and spiders) as well as the lack of sustained hot water for showers. Personally, I would have liked our room to have been a little more closed off from the outside elements but we never had any problems falling asleep or with any night time creatures. The road to Totoco is as rough and steep as advertised so make sure you have a taxi that is willing to drive you to the top. One of the owners of the property (Martin) mentioned that they are looking to expand the number of cabanas on site which may allow for some more amenities and there was a great deal of road construction being done while we were there so perhaps things will be different in the future.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 24, 2012

stayed three nights and it was incredible. the view from the lounge is breathtaking and the cabanas blend perfectly into the beautiful garden. all members of staff were genuinely kind and welcoming. the food was truly delicous and the cabanas spacious, clean and comfortable. the only downer was when I took a kayak tour that was organised by the lodge. the owner of the kayak shop, a guy from Spain called Fernando, was rude to me and his staff and scammed me and my driver into buying lunch from his restaurant. basically, while I was kayaking he told the driver that I had said I'd pay for anything the driver would consume while waiting for me and upon my return I was presented with a hefty bill that was a multiple of what my lunch cost. my kayaking tour had been so amazing and the rudeness of this guy really pulled me down a lot. i told totoco lodge about the incident afterwards and they assured me they would make sure it doesn't happen again. I absolutely recommend totoco lodge and the kayak tour but truly hope they will choose a different kayak operator in the future as this Fernando guy really doesn't deserve any tourist's money.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends