All reviews howler monkeys concepcion volcano local community breathtaking views outdoor shower lake nicaragua solar power cloud forest compost toilets hot water breakfast and dinner off grid beautiful experience close to nature remote location magical place bring a flashlight
Reviewed July 18, 2011

We spent 2 nights on our honeymoon here. What a fantastic place!

Food was AMAZING! The very reasonably priced meal package gets you a variety of wonderful breakfast fare in the morning and a full 3 course meal/sides and dessert in the evening. I had, quite possibly, the best chicken dish I ever ate in my life while I was there, and I never in my life had a beef stew that delicious- I was licking the plates every night. By the time the mouth watering desserts (can you say from scratch banana foster cake??!) were delivered, we were so full that we could hardly eat- but the fullness was well worth it! For lunch they have a very reasonable menu, including $4.50 sandwiches that were hearty and completely from scratch- even house made whole wheat bread. Highly recommend the tostones for a lunch dish to share before a sandwich!

The service was truly outstanding. Jonathan and Martin are fantastic hosts, making each guest feel completely welcome and at home. Once you are there, they are more than happy to go out of their way to make sure you have a one-of-a-kind experience at their lodge they have created. The wait staff was also stellar. One night, the waitress brought us out candles before dinner to create an even more romantic environment; its little details like that that make this place truly exceptional.

The views are completely gorgeous. From our porch you had a fantastic view of the volcano. Lots of activities to do, from kayaking to volcano climbing to coffee plantation tours- or a great place to lounge around and do absolutely nothing in paradise, soaking up the stellar views of both Omotepe's volcanoes. We took a 2-hour horse back ride through the jungle, seeing monkeys, crossing by coffee plantations, learning a thing or two about the local wildlife and ecosystem- it was amazing!

The place is completely green and eco-friendly, drawing upon the local resources for almost everything, runs almost completely on solar power, recycles/composts everything (even bathroom waste gets turned into nutrient rich fertilizer!), and is quite the epitome of what an eco-tourism experience should be.

I can not put into words what an amazing place this is- we'll definitely be back sometime to hike to the volcanic pool and waterfalls!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TedPixley
Reviewed July 14, 2011

Had a great time at Totoco. Everyone was super friendly and helpful and the views were incredible! The compost toliet was a little hard to get used to but that was the only blip on an otherwise wonderful stay. The room was comfortable, the water was hot and again, the view was breath-taking. The food was also really, really good - thank goodness since the nearest restaurant is quite a hike. Don't forget to bring a flashlight and bug spray!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 10, 2011

Our experience at Tocoto EcoLodge was everything the rave reviews we had read prior to our trip had said--and more! The view of the volcano was stunning and the surrounding flora and fauna are absolutely beautiful. The meals included in the half board option were delicious and interesting. I'm so impressed with the owners, Jonathan and Martin who had the vision of an eco-sustainable and at the same time elegant property and have managed to bring it to fruition. By all means go, but stay longer. Two days was definitely not enough time to enjoy this little piece of paradise.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 6, 2011

Totoco Ecolodge was by far the highlight of our trip to Omotepe. The hour long ride there from the Omotepe ferry, arranged by our hosts at Totoco, was so worth it. I went there with a group of eight friends and my son, and we were treated wonderfully from the moment we were picked up to the moment we were dropped of at the Ferry two days later. Our host Martin was so friendly and helpful. The scenery is just amazing. We arrived and were immediately treated to cold glasses of tropical juice which we drank on the veranda/lounge looking out over the breathtaking view of a tropical vista with a smoking volcano and sparkling lake in the background. Hummingbirds buzzed in the flowering plants surrounding the garden just below the bar area. I just can't say enough about the view. I've never seen anything like it. After we drank our juice we were shown to our cabins. I was expecting something more rustic, but the rooms in the cabin were lovely beyond my expectations. Flowers decorated the bed, and it was very resort-like in decor and general feel. I loved finally getting a hot shower after eight days of cold showers. My son and I loved the front porch with a hammock and lounge chair. After we rested there for a while, we went down to the swimming pool, which overlooks the volcano, lake, and tropical vista. I was served another cold glass of juice and splashed around for a while with my friends. I felt like I was on a movie set, the scenery was just that amazing. After cooling down in the pool, we headed to the veranda and were served dinner at a table for ten overlooking the gorgeous vista described above. The vegetarian meal was a curry vegetable dish that was absolutely delicious. My son had the beef medallions and also loved it. All the food comes from organic, I believe mostly local sources. After dinner I had the most delicious flan I have ever had in my life, and I lived in Miami for seven years. I loved every meal I was served at Totoco.

I also loved the hiking trip we took the next days with our two guides. It was raining in the morning, so we couldn't take our six hour hike to the top of the closer ( non-smoking) volcano, but we went on the hike to the coffee farm and petrogliphs. We stopped at the organic coffee farm for a cup of fresh coffee, and ate lunch in Balque at a organic restaurant. I found the petrogliphs fascinating, and our guide was very knowledgeable about the local history. He also knew the names of many of the local birds and plants, and really knew how to entrance you with the way he wove to ether a story (we all mostly speak Spanish, but the other guide did speak English).

We just had such an amazing time that we are all planning to return next year. I will tell everyone I know of the place. it is a wonderful spot for vegetarians and environmentally conscious folks who want to spend their money in a place that gives back in a meaningful way to the local area (Totoco supports local educational and social projects in Balque, and also supports local organic farms). I fully recommend it without reservations!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 3, 2011

Totoco Eco-lodge is one of the most eco-progressive lodging projects anywhere in Central America. The base structure of their project consists of three parts; the eco-lodge, the organic permaculture farm and volunteer program, and a micro-funding community project. They are indeed one of a very small number of eco-tourism projects that tackles all three intrinsically important aspects - social, environmental and cultural, and they do so meticulously.

Apart from their strikingly obvious and magnificent eco-tourism achievements, which are no doubt painfully close to being more publicly recognized, they run a really great little boutique hotel. Ever ambitious to include inherent environmental stewardship in their everyday operations, they also offer a competitive level of luxury. A handcrafted main lodge and restaurant/bar area, an infinity pool with maginificent views of the daily sunset and the looming Vulcan Concepcion, beautiful native landscaping, a fully fledged organic permaculture farm which provides fresh produce to the lodge kitchen, uniquely crafted cabins with amazing views and privacy, great walking tours through the semi-farmed Vulcan Maderas, and the peace and tranquility is free of charge!

If you are looking for a place to recharge your modern, high-strung, everyday consumerist and busy lifestyle, then this place should be at the top of your list! Stay two to three nights to get the most out of your experience, and don't forget to have time for doing nothing so you can watch nature's miracles play out their little roles on the micro scale. This place, the remote surroundings and the feel good aspect of knowing you put your money toward a truly wonderful business ethic will inspire you to look at your own life a little differently from then on.

There is a sense of pride and good spirit among all the staff here, particularly with the amazing three founders. Do not hesitate to ask questions and converse with any of them, your understanding of this complex work of passion will enhance your stay and locate you at the forefront of the progressive eco-tourism industry.

Room Tip: Do not miss the eco-tour of the whole project!
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple