All reviewshowler monkeysconcepcion volcanolocal communitybreathtaking viewsoutdoor showerlake nicaraguasolar powercloud forestcompost toiletshot waterbreakfast and dinneroff gridbeautiful experienceclose to natureremote locationmagical placebring a flashlight
Reviewed July 14, 2011

Had a great time at Totoco. Everyone was super friendly and helpful and the views were incredible! The compost toliet was a little hard to get used to but that was the only blip on an otherwise wonderful stay. The room was comfortable, the water was hot and again, the view was breath-taking. The food was also really, really good - thank goodness since the nearest restaurant is quite a hike. Don't forget to bring a flashlight and bug spray!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 10, 2011

Our experience at Tocoto EcoLodge was everything the rave reviews we had read prior to our trip had said--and more! The view of the volcano was stunning and the surrounding flora and fauna are absolutely beautiful. The meals included in the half board option were delicious and interesting. I'm so impressed with the owners, Jonathan and Martin who had the vision of an eco-sustainable and at the same time elegant property and have managed to bring it to fruition. By all means go, but stay longer. Two days was definitely not enough time to enjoy this little piece of paradise.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 6, 2011

Totoco Ecolodge was by far the highlight of our trip to Omotepe. The hour long ride there from the Omotepe ferry, arranged by our hosts at Totoco, was so worth it. I went there with a group of eight friends and my son, and we were treated wonderfully from the moment we were picked up to the moment we were dropped of at the Ferry two days later. Our host Martin was so friendly and helpful. The scenery is just amazing. We arrived and were immediately treated to cold glasses of tropical juice which we drank on the veranda/lounge looking out over the breathtaking view of a tropical vista with a smoking volcano and sparkling lake in the background. Hummingbirds buzzed in the flowering plants surrounding the garden just below the bar area. I just can't say enough about the view. I've never seen anything like it. After we drank our juice we were shown to our cabins. I was expecting something more rustic, but the rooms in the cabin were lovely beyond my expectations. Flowers decorated the bed, and it was very resort-like in decor and general feel. I loved finally getting a hot shower after eight days of cold showers. My son and I loved the front porch with a hammock and lounge chair. After we rested there for a while, we went down to the swimming pool, which overlooks the volcano, lake, and tropical vista. I was served another cold glass of juice and splashed around for a while with my friends. I felt like I was on a movie set, the scenery was just that amazing. After cooling down in the pool, we headed to the veranda and were served dinner at a table for ten overlooking the gorgeous vista described above. The vegetarian meal was a curry vegetable dish that was absolutely delicious. My son had the beef medallions and also loved it. All the food comes from organic, I believe mostly local sources. After dinner I had the most delicious flan I have ever had in my life, and I lived in Miami for seven years. I loved every meal I was served at Totoco.

I also loved the hiking trip we took the next days with our two guides. It was raining in the morning, so we couldn't take our six hour hike to the top of the closer ( non-smoking) volcano, but we went on the hike to the coffee farm and petrogliphs. We stopped at the organic coffee farm for a cup of fresh coffee, and ate lunch in Balque at a organic restaurant. I found the petrogliphs fascinating, and our guide was very knowledgeable about the local history. He also knew the names of many of the local birds and plants, and really knew how to entrance you with the way he wove to ether a story (we all mostly speak Spanish, but the other guide did speak English).

We just had such an amazing time that we are all planning to return next year. I will tell everyone I know of the place. it is a wonderful spot for vegetarians and environmentally conscious folks who want to spend their money in a place that gives back in a meaningful way to the local area (Totoco supports local educational and social projects in Balque, and also supports local organic farms). I fully recommend it without reservations!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 3, 2011

Totoco Eco-lodge is one of the most eco-progressive lodging projects anywhere in Central America. The base structure of their project consists of three parts; the eco-lodge, the organic permaculture farm and volunteer program, and a micro-funding community project. They are indeed one of a very small number of eco-tourism projects that tackles all three intrinsically important aspects - social, environmental and cultural, and they do so meticulously.

Apart from their strikingly obvious and magnificent eco-tourism achievements, which are no doubt painfully close to being more publicly recognized, they run a really great little boutique hotel. Ever ambitious to include inherent environmental stewardship in their everyday operations, they also offer a competitive level of luxury. A handcrafted main lodge and restaurant/bar area, an infinity pool with maginificent views of the daily sunset and the looming Vulcan Concepcion, beautiful native landscaping, a fully fledged organic permaculture farm which provides fresh produce to the lodge kitchen, uniquely crafted cabins with amazing views and privacy, great walking tours through the semi-farmed Vulcan Maderas, and the peace and tranquility is free of charge!

If you are looking for a place to recharge your modern, high-strung, everyday consumerist and busy lifestyle, then this place should be at the top of your list! Stay two to three nights to get the most out of your experience, and don't forget to have time for doing nothing so you can watch nature's miracles play out their little roles on the micro scale. This place, the remote surroundings and the feel good aspect of knowing you put your money toward a truly wonderful business ethic will inspire you to look at your own life a little differently from then on.

There is a sense of pride and good spirit among all the staff here, particularly with the amazing three founders. Do not hesitate to ask questions and converse with any of them, your understanding of this complex work of passion will enhance your stay and locate you at the forefront of the progressive eco-tourism industry.

Room Tip: Do not miss the eco-tour of the whole project!
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 7, 2011

Sorry it took so long to get a review up! Amazing place with a great mission. We stayed in the Ometepe bungalow. Very nice and clean. The compostable toilets work great – surprisingly they never smelled. The bathroom itself was very nice. The food was terrific – and the coffee which is grown right next door is great. The staff, which is mostly local, are helpful with arranging adventures, taxis, or just making your relaxing time more relaxing! The view of the volcano from the pool is quite spectacular. We learned a little about the farming they are doing there and their goals for the future. Nice to see people trying to help with the future of this island and it’s people.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple