All reviewsmodern hotella riojarioja regionwine barsmall villageroof terracehotel restauranttapastasting menuhelpful staffcomfortable roomsstandard roomtucked awaypolished concretewine tourreasonable priceloved this hotel
Reviewed May 8, 2012

we stayed one night as everyone seems to do, we also stayed down the rd, in Egarte uguren, and wished we'd done 2 nights here. the hotel is so peaaceful and the village is quiet you only hear the church clock chiming.
the breakfast is brilliant cant fault it at all, so much choice and you could keep ordering too.
the bar is peaceful and very cheap and their is also an onsite shop where you can buy the wineyou have drank in the bar.

the resturant was nice, but the food pleasent but too overseasoned for my liking, the cod i had was far too salty!!

a Must visit hotel, tucked away!!! lovely rooftop gardens too!!

Room Tip: prob one overlooking the car park or away from the church bells!!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 29, 2012

We were placed in this hotel by our Spanish travel agency, and were unprepared for what we found. An amazing design, post-modern, but somehow, from every angle, this hotel blended into a tiny village in the heart of the Rioja wine region. Others have commented on this hotel, and everything positive they have said, is true. We had no problem with the bathroom's integration into the large, spacious room, and found that the frosted glass separation provided was both adequate, and in keeping with the design of the building. The wonderful gardens on the roof, have delightful views of the village, the church, the distant vineyards, and the snow-capped mountains, and the breakfast service was not only perfect, with excellent and ample choices of food, but the view out to the surrounding courtyards, perfect. We could stay here for a week, and still be happy. And our server, a delightful and attentive woman from Holland, made our stay all the more perfect. This is one hotel you need to experience if you enjoy contemporary architecture. Hats off to SpainTop, our travel agency for choosing this one.

Room Tip: Ask for the views of the church or the village. And rooms at any price, assuming one of those views, will be certain to please.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank iluvtnb
Reviewed April 7, 2012

Found this hotel through the Small Luxory Hotels of the World website. We were traveling from the Bilbao to Zaragoza and wanted to try something different.

It was hard to find the hotel in the village. You don't see it until you're actually in front of it - despite it's design. It was harder than normal to find the hotel, since the main road were under reconstruction. We had to take an alternative route through the village instead. Luckily, we had GPS.

Upon arrival, we were greeted by lovely staff that was very enthusiastic about our visit to their hotel, and above all, to this part of the country. The hotel is extremely modern and charming, if you're into concrete and ultra modern design. It works really well!

We got a room on the first floor. The decor was very tasteful. I just love the combination of grey concrete with rustique wood tables. The bathroom is inventively integrated with the room, but you should not be scared of making toilet noises with your traveling partner when staying at this hotel. Although there is a glass door dividing you from the rest of the room, it's not soundproof -if at all. I don't have problems with that, but some people do.

The only drawback I had was the lounge music playing in the lobby. I heard it in our room. Yes, it was quite faint, but I'm easily extremely annoyed by sounds that I do not have control over. The music didn't stop until midnight and commenced again around 6 AM. I had to sleep with ear plugs. Luckily, I always travel with that. Next time, I'll ask for a room on the second or third floor, but I would absolutely like to come back.

The restaurant is great, with nice staff, good food, lovely wine and a cosy atmosphere.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Daniel H
Reviewed March 19, 2012

Modern design hotel, very comfortable. We have spent there 2 nights on our travel around Basque country and this was very good experience.
ROOM
large, comfortable room. Modern design, concrete walls, huge window. Potentially some privacy issue - there are no door to the toilet what makes use of it quite uncomfortable, Good soundproofing which is always important for me.
RESTAURANT
very good - nouvelle cusine what here means - small but very good portions. Good selection of local wines. Very good breakfast.
RECEPTION SERVICE
Just perfect.
LOCATION
In the middle of nowhere. You need a car to go out of hotel. Very good base for the travelling around Rioja nad Basque country. Lot of good bodegas to visit within 20 minutes drive. But if you like to have a nice and long walk in the evening - this is nit the right place. We have spent there 2 nights and considered this place as a base for travelling. But I honestly believe that 2 nights is just a maximum for a comfortable stay.
If you are looking for a comfortable base for a travelling around La Rioja and Basque country - this place is clearly recommendable.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 22, 2012

Amazing architecture but not only because the building is unique but because albeit being so contemporary it seems to fit in perfectly with the quiet village of Villabuena.
Rooms are spacious and have charming views of the village. It was too cold to use the rooftop terrace but the views are spectacular.
Dinner on our first night was good but a bit slow. However service on the second night was great, friendly and with wine barrels hanging over your head....an esthetic experience !

Room Tip: If you can afford it, book a suite. We had 302 and our friends had 304. Both were corner suites with great views although if I had to choose I would go for 302.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends