All reviewsmodern hotella riojarioja regionwine barsmall villageroof terracehotel restauranttapastasting menuhelpful staffcomfortable roomsstandard roomtucked awaypolished concretewine tourreasonable priceloved this hotel
Reviewed September 15, 2011

We stayed there in May 2011--I found out about this hotel through some website of boutique hotels, and we stayed there for one night only. The hotel is ultra-modern in terms of design, both inside and outside. I asked beforehand for a room overlooking the 16th century church (a mixture of renaissance and baroque styles) and they were extremely kind about my request. The hotel is so ultra-modern that it would easily beat most of the trendy hotels in New York, and again you are surrounded by centuries of history, it's an amazing experience. We arrived late (got lost) but still they were kind enough to serve us dinner outside in the terrace. The rooms are extremely spacious with a heavenly shower whose floor is made of pebbles! Breakfast is absolutely first class and the service impeccable throughout. We are hoping to return there next time we are in the area, for sure!

One thing that you can do while there is to :

(i) visit the neighboring town of La Guardia (8 Km away) AT NIGHT--an experience you will not forget (it's a World heritage site)

(ii) during the day you can visit one of the winemakers in the region (I think the one we visited was Marques de Riscal)--for a small fee you get a tour of the facilities, an explanation of how wine is made and a wine tasting experience.

p.s. they don't have a swimming pool but there is a small fitness room. You can also jog around the small town and vineyards.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank medano111
Reviewed September 14, 2011

Lovely hotel- a bit of a quirky layout. Interesting design.
Staff are top notch, very professional and still friendly.
Great location for wine touring
Very quiet (great for me) but can lack atmosphere.
There is nothing in the village so you need a car.
Breakfast could be better
Room service was good, didn't try the restaurant because it opened too late (usual for Spain).
Village is tiny, but hotel can be a challenge to find amongst the winding narrow streets

Room Tip: Ask for one with a balcony
Reviewed September 5, 2011

This is a really unusual hotel in a lovely small village in Rioja. The room was luxurious and the staff were really helpful, especially booking us two winery tours. We also had the taster menu in the restaurant which was delicious and good value for money. There is a cool rooftop terrace and use of a municpal pool adjacent. Excellent.

Reviewed August 31, 2011

I stayed here as part of an 8 day tour of La Rioja. Stayed in 4 Hotels across the region and this one definitely stood out- particularly for it's architecture/design, but the service was also great! I will upload photos as I think your taste in architecture will likely influence whether or not you love this hotel like we did.

The staff all seemed to speak enough English to get by, they offered to book winery tours, etc if we needed. The restaurant was beautiful but it wasn't open on Sunday or Monday, which unfortunately we weren't told. This was disappointing as we were looking forward to it as we were sure it would be amazing. Check out the roof terrace as the views are amazing, and I would recommend stretching for a suite if you can as they looked lovely and seemed to have their own private balcony or terrace.

A nice touch was returning to our room at night to find the room had a second little tidy, chocolates on the bed side table and a weather forecast for the next day!

We will definitely return and stay in a suite some day! I hope they maintain this new hotel as the architecture style will make it appear very tired quickly if not kept in good condition.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 19, 2011

The fantastic architecture goes almost without saying - I would guess that most people chose it for that reason (and it being substantially cheaper than Marquis de Riscal). The photos speak for themselves

In particular the restaurant is spectacular and has full size wine barrels hanging from the ceiling.

But as another reviewer has remarked, it is starting to show its age. And I found the headwaiter pretentious. He refused us a seat in the window when the restaurant was empty, on the grounds that they had all been booked by people who had eaten the night before. It was only when I rejected his offer of an interior table and turned to leave the restaurant that he suddenly found he could after all give me a window table.

The staff were not very hospitable. The roof top terrace was bare of tables, or enough chairs to sit at, or any umbrellas as sunshade.

Given that there is little alternative locally for eating, then you will need to eat in the hotel. In view of our problem, do not just book a table as we did, but actually go down to the restaurant in advance to chose the table you want.

As others have remarked, it is not easy to find, so make sure you have a good map of the village - it is there in the centre, but not obvious.