“Horrible cold coffee and. Horrid pushy waiter such a shame”
Review of The Sugar Deli - CLOSED

The Sugar Deli
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Melbourne, Australia
“Horrible cold coffee and. Horrid pushy waiter such a shame”
Reviewed February 4, 2014

We have been going here for years and the day before yesterday had lovely coffee, cakes to take home, and Delightfull ladies / waitresses who were charming.Yesterday we came across a very pushy waiter who was obviously to,d to tout for business, he was only interested in showing us the menu and booking a table to go back and eat, which was. Dry off putting. My coffee was Luke warm in a horrid pot cup, the lovely china is only for the tea drinkers I was informed, wierd as coffee is delicious when served in a china cup, which I give to all my visitors. My horrid coffee was I drinkable as. Only just Luke warm, ,the pushy waiter took the whole cup of coffee away without asking if there was a problem with it, something which is normal customer service....I was inside buying expensive biscuits to take away.and watched him our the horrid cold coffee down the sink with glee, he didnt know I was watching him,we have been going there for years, and my friens who live nearby were truly horrified , we all declared we won't go back there again. The way the pushy waiter was strutting his stuff I presumed he was theManager, I asked one the charming ladies if he was..No was the reply, he obviously needs to go on a customer cafe course, does the boss know about this we all wondered, such a shame as we did enjoy it there the day before

• Visited February 2014
3 Thank jan s

Brisbane, Australia
“Charming but slow service.”
Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

First visit after reading reviews in the local papers. Charming and interesting decor. The fruit toast with fig and macadamia is amazing. Two huge slices which I ended up sharing as far too much but really tasty. Unfortunately coffee was so slow we had finished our toast for a good ten minutes before it arrived and they weren't overly busy. They seem to struggle trying to juggle the takeaway orders at the expense of the diners.

Visited January 2014
Sunshine Coast, Australia
“Awful lunch, pushy waiter, far too expensive.”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Came here for lunch with my partner on monday 6/12/14, had a look at the displayed menu , but was not impressed with the overpriced entrees and mains.

Thought about moving on , but my wife suggested to try the "Lunchtime Special" of panfried crumbed whiting hamburger with salad and home made aoli, served with fried chips. Price 17 bucks each. Went and ordered this and paid at the same time, big mistake !
the waiter (owner ??) tried to push drinks , eg wine or beer, several times and after we refused reluctantly supplied us with cold water.

Lunch arrived after about 15 min. and consisted of a toasted bun, 3 miniscule fried to death bits of "whiting" ??, 1 lettuce leaf on the bun and probably half a teaspoon of aoli, the chips were served in a coffee cup and also fried to death. All was pretty awful. we eat most of it, because for $34.00 we had couldn't just leave it. Unfortunately I had already paid , or would have sent it straight back and left. This place obviously trades on the previous owners reputation.

Give it a miss. I should have checked Trip Advisor 1st, as the last ratings are mostly in the negative. Just Awful.

• Visited January 2014
3 Thank LazingAbout
“Dissapointing”
Reviewed December 14, 2013

Ordered coffees to take away with the waitress, waited 15mins before the only staff member making coffee realised the order was there to make, claiming no one told him the order was there. ...5mins on I'm informed they have no power to the coffee machine. 20mins for nothing! Dissapointing

Visited December 2013
1 Thank Rocca14
Brisbane, Australia
“More than a coffee shop - good food and service”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Recently had brunch at the Sugar Deli - great location sitting out on the footpath looking out over the water, getting the breeze, watching the world (slowly) go by.

Staff couldn't have been more helpful and attentive - and my wife particularly enjoyed getting a "proper" teapot, milk jug etc.

The eggs and bacon were really good - and the decor was quirky but embracing.

We enjoyed the experience sufficiently to already have plans to make another trip from Brisbane (45min).

• Visited October 2013