“Amazing and so tranquil”
Review of Gilpin Mill

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Crook
Gilpin Mill
Ranked #1 of 1 Crook B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 23, 2012

We have just spent two nights at gilpin mill. We were blessed with excellent weather and as we turned into the driveway adjacent to gilpin millpond we were delighted with the house.....a warm welcome from jo and Steve awaited us with tea and scrummy home made cake and biscuits. We stayed in room one which was large with a huge bed. The bathroom was lovely with separate bath and huge walk in shower with delightful bath house toiletries. The underfloor heating was very welcome after a days walking! The breakfast was amazing........best ever scrambled egg........delicious. We will definitely recommend and we will be back! Just one more thing.........it is so peaceful.......wonderful........

Room Tip: Room one is the largest but we sneaked a peek at the other rooms and they were slightly smaller but...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 17, 2012

Great welcome, lovely bedroom, superb en suite shower room, and one of the best B&B breakfasts. Do hope we can find a reason to return! Off the beaten track - so takes a little finding, but well worth going 'off piste' to get away from the masses down by the lakes for real peace and solitude .

Room Tip: Choice of three rooms. We were in the middle priced one which was slightly on the small size, but ve...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MrRoutemaster
Reviewed August 15, 2012

This is such a lovely place to stay - I would highly recommend it. The location is perfect, hidden away in the hills but close to the town and lakes.

The house is beautiful and our room (no2) is small but perfect. The beds were really comfortable and all the bedding as ironed and fresh. Plus the bathroom is incredible with a brilliant power shower! Jo and Steve were really helpful with giving us directions to walks and local pubs. We even had a new OS map in our room to use while we there, a lovely little extra.

We had food at the Brown Horse which was really good and not badly priced considering the standard of food (see website for 10% discount on food).

The breakfast was also great with a good selection. All the guests sit around a large table together which is sweet and you get to chat to the other guests.

The whole experience was very relaxing and all you can hear is silence and running water through the mill - idyllic.

Room Tip: Room 2 is small but fine for a few nights. All rooms face out towards the lake.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kim H
Reviewed August 14, 2012

What a lovely place, so peaceful and not too far if you want the hussle and bussle of shops and people. Jo and Steve are a lovely couple , very welcoming. The room we had was excellent with beautiful views and as for the food I don't think I've had a nicer breakfast. Jo very kindly booked us into the Brown Horse for an evening meal on Saturday so we had no worries about finding somehwere after our drive up. The Mill is a lovely place, decorated and loved to a high standard, I was taken there as a surprise for my birthday and it couldn't have been better.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 20Liz11
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Can't say enough about how nice our stay at Gilpin Mill was. Quiet and off the beaten path, a very pleasant retreat from the more commercial / touristy towns in the Lake District. Steve and Jo were very welcoming and kind, couldn't have been nicer.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Sarah T
Reviewed July 30, 2012

I booked Gilpin Mill as a short break. I had read reviews on this site and found everyone rating it as excellent. Too good to be true, I think but NO! There is nothing I can add to the other reviews as our stay was excellent! Jo and Steve welcomed us with tea and biscuits when we arrived and made sure we knew where everything was. The bottled water and fresh milk in the fridge was a bonus as I'm not too keen on little pots of plastic milk. The bed was massive and comfy which was great for myself and my husband. Breakfast was 'local' and lots of it! Proper fresh fruit for brekkie is great for setting you up for the full english. At least it made one of my 5 a day!
Good customer service is leaving another set of keys for us when we had forgotten ours and not blaming us for shorting the fuse for the upstairs lights!

I would go back and have recommended Steve and Jo's B&B to everyone that asked about our little trip away. I've even posted the pics on Facebook for all my friends to see where they can come to relax and enjoy Cumbrian hospitality.

One more thing........it's nice to go somewhere where the bath towels provided are for normal people and not designed for skinnies......and John Lewis as well!

Room Tip: We were in room three but I think all the rooms will have the same quality. The showers are hard to...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Dunedinhen
Reviewed June 22, 2012

Where does one even begin? The warm and friendly hosts, the fresh breakfast, the plush rooms, the location. Pretty much as good as it gets! Highly recommended.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Gilpin Mill? Share your experiences!