“Deeply disappointing”
Review of The Gallivant

The Gallivant
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Camber
Reviewed May 3, 2009

Having read the reviews and heard that it was the Sunday Times budget hotel of the year I had high hopes for TPATB. Sadly, those hopes were dashed. My room had a terribly rusty towel rail and a very dirty light pull in the bathroom. Not a great start, and this raised issues in my mind about the cleanliness of the place. The shower was hopeless, with no power, and it refused to stay above head hight so I could rise my hair. Worse, there was a major lack of soundproofing between rooms, so you could hear everything that was going on in the next room. Since there were a lot of children staying this was not good (people like me, who dislike children, take note). Food was OK, but I thought it was expensive. Bedroom itself was OK, if a bit basic. On checkout I complained and was told that they knew there was a problem about the soundproofing. If so, why don't they do something about it? They also said they would get someone to do something about the towel rail now it had been brought to their attention. Had they really not noticed it before? This was not a touch of rust here and there; the whole thing was covered in rust.

Seriously, if the man from the Sunday Times thinks this place is so good he really should get out more. Alternatively, give me his job and I'll find some decent hotels to recommend.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank DameMeditation
HotelManagercamber, Manager at The Gallivant, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2009

We have had such a busy past 3 months, and I'd first like to thank you for your feedback on your stay at the Place at the Beach.

We really take your comments on board.
It would be fair to say that in these past months we have needed to address a number of internal issues which have affected our operating performance and our service delivery. I've worked in hotels for more than 10 years and this has been the most testing period of my career.
Today (27th July) we inaugurated the new towel rails and a small cheer from everyone was given as they departed stage left!!

By the end of this week, the following changes will be made:
- Window reveals sanded and painted
- Bath panels re-painted
- Corridors re-painted
- Bath tub surrounds re-mastic
- Towels rails
- Window surrounds refurbished
It's the great outdoors that attracts our guests and last week we opened our kite surfing centre and built an outdoor BBQ area so guests can enjoy food on the beach with the sea air in your face. The Great British outdoors.
As a hotel manager, my career has been heavily involved with with turning places around, and I'd be happy to let you know how I've managed to do this. It's what we are doing at The Place at the Beach and the Sunday Times saw the potential and the drive we have, and that's one of the reasons why I believe we received the award.
I know that we did not deliver on your last visit, but come back to us and you'll see that there's a change going on.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,420)

Reviewed April 7, 2009

I was lucky enough to book this hotel for an important family celebration last weekend and have to say how utterly fantastic every detail was - but it's not just the little touches of brilliance that make this hotel superb or it's position opposite the most amazing 2 and 1/2 mile long sand beach - nothing was too much trouble for all the staff who all went over and above the call of duty to make all fourteen (sixteen including dogs!) of our party's stay the best it could be. Loved the fact it is grown up luxury that is child, dog and disabled friendly. All in all a real gem of a find!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family

Just a note from the General Manager to say how pleased I was to read that your stay was such a success. We want all our guests to be able to enjoy the great holiday experience we are offering...and since we started accepting dogs, the word seems to be spreading and having the beach on our doorsteps is a doggy paradise!
Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed April 1, 2009

W e have just returned from a wonderful two night break at this lovely little hotel that is reminiscient of an American motel which has been given a NewEngland boutique style makeover!!! The decor and art work was fun and sea sidey!
. We were four middle aged ladies who had not ben on bikes for many years but decidedon a whim to go on a special cycling break as advertised on travelzoo back in early january for £85 a person .
We found the rooms ,staff(especially Dee, Katie,Jack and Tudor!) and food to be super! We had opted for the for the dinner as an added extra each night at £20 and we were not disappointed as the quality of food was excellent.
The bikes were fine but perhaps a word of advice to future 'bikers' would be to take a gel saddle and ask for a basket or pannier to carry your bits and pieces especially shopping from lovely shops in Rye.
We would have liked a little more help on the routes the first day as the road to Lydd was very busy and with prior knowledge we would have used the concrete promenade out of Camber rather than dicing with death with the gravel lorries!!!
It was a great break and huge fun and I thoroughly recommend it!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 25, 2009

Just returned from our third visit to this hotel - hugely disappointed that it will be our last to what was previously one of our favourites. Previously it was charming and quirky - now it's just ramshackle and (in places) laughable. Some of this is down to the fact that the staff (though mostly charming, as always) are almost all poorly trained and some are actively incompetent (the exception is the daytime receptionist who is extremely competent).
It is also clear that there have been substantial attempts to cut costs on overheads - not surprising in this present climate. Pricewise, we certainly got a good deal, but I assume the various deals that are active at present are to attract new customers in. They're not going to work well as 'loss leaders' if the result is to put people off as we were - not just from going again, but also from recommending it to others which we had done in the past.
Good points - location (of course); good beds, bedlinen and toiletries; good cooked breakfast (though the home-made bread, croissants, muesli and free range eggs of the past have been replaced by rice krispies, stale sliced bread from a packet and what tasted suspiciously like perfectly cooked battery eggs).
Bad points - little choice on the menu and what there was was very far from deserving the 'foodie' status ascribed to it in advertising (note to whoever plans the food - placing 'mixed salad leaves' on the side of every plate does not make very ordinary food 'gourmet'); we were overcharged on our dinner bill; of the four white wines available by the glass, one was not available - I was offered another and finally given a third, in a smaller glass than I'd ordered; we had to ask three times for the olives we'd ordered to nibble on while we waited and they were still long finished by the time our food arrived; our advertised packed lunches (we were on a cycling break) were 'forgotten' - it took over half an hour to put together a replacement and instead of the advertised 'flask of soup, game pie, scotch eggs and sandwiches on home-made bread', we got sandwiches on pre-sliced bread, a mini pork pie from a multi-pack and a Mars Bar (which would have fine okay if it hadn't totally contradicted what was advertised); the 'driftwood' refurbishment of brasserie and rooms was basically the fixing of scaffolding planks, painted white and sanded, onto anything that stood still (including drawers in our room on which I snagged clothes) - I assume someone remembered an early episode of Changing Rooms; I accept the thinness of the walls which were clearly inherited, but not the absence of a blind at the bathroom window which looked out onto the car park at the front of the hotel; the positioning of electrical sockets meant that the only way to plug in the kettle was to put it on the floor or perch it on the furniture - surely this is especially stupid in a family room?
I would strongly suggest that the owners, investors and particularly the manager try staying in one of their family rooms, and sending a friend to eat in the brasserie so that they can see the problems for themselves. We're not returning regardless, but it would be a real shame for employment in the area if this carelessness led to The Place's demise.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank amazonia117
Reviewed March 11, 2009

We've just got back from our weekend break and feel we must give this hotel a pat on the back for its excellent service. The room was clean & comfortable and the food great(especially breakfast). But by far their greatest asset is the smiley and helpful staff - friendly and professional without being too formal. The special three night deal was exceptionally good value and we recommend you give it a try. We will certainly be going back
Steve & Maggie Ralph

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 26, 2009

I heard about this hotel from a colleague at work, who'd discovered that they were offering a hotel room for the night for a quid if you & partner have a 2 course meal each. I was a bit skeptical at first, thinking there had to be a catch - like paying at least £50 each for a meal.
We stayed there on 22nd Feb. Was pleasantly surprised, nice place and nice room too. Bar & restaurant small, although I think the outside area would make the place popular in summer.
Checked in about 3pm. Went for a walk and a drink or too in the Green Owl pub nearby (worth a visit - they have some good real ale there) and came back for dinner around 6pm. Ordered the Roast Beef dinner - excellent choice and followed it up with treacle pudding - also great.
Really enjoyed the food, had a great meal. They have Spitfire ob draught too !! Service very good and bed very comfortable, and the breakfast was also good - cooked to order.
The £1 a room deal was obviously working as quite a few people stayed over.
All in all enjoyed the stay. Not sure I'd go back & pay normal rates as it's about £80 for a double room - but would certainly go back if they had another promo deal on.

Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 12, 2009

Just returned from a lovely weekend at the Place at the Beach. This was booked for me by a friend of mine who knows we go away for the weekend regularly. She saw a deal on the local tv news channel whereby the Place at the beach was offering 1 and night deals for their rooms during January and February. We turned up a little skeptical that the hotel would be any good, but we needn't have worried. The hotel is very nice with a boutique feel about it. The deluxe room we were given was finished nicely, with heavy cotton covers on the very comfortable king size bed. The tv and DVD player in the room worked, the DVD library is a nice touch I've only ever seen in 1 other hotel.

We ate twice in the restaurant,which we found to be very reasonably priced (if you dont go for the expensive wine). The food we had was very good indeed. The mussels starter is especially recommended. I'd agree with the previous review regarding the hiccups experienced by the staff (all english which is a rarety these days) , but we found them to be courteous and helpful at all times.

The only negative comment regarding the food is that I felt the breakfast was overpriced at 7.50- I had 2 boiled eggs with a distinct lack of toast for this! I did ask for eggs benedict which is on the menu, but a rather bemused waitress came back to tell me the chef had run out of hollandaise sauce which made me chuckle.

The hotel is quite a way out of Rye, too far to walk. but the beach is just across the road, and there's also a pub about 2 minutes walk along the beach road which was very cosy with its big open fireplace.

So to sum up, we had a lovely time at the place at the beach, well done the owner for offering the pound a night deal to get people to fill the hotel and use the restaurant. The staff could do with some more experience to deal with a full restaurant but they were very accomodating and will come good in the end. I would definately stay here again- not for 95 pound a night which I think is the usual cost and which I think is pushing it, but for a good deal of say 50 pound a night, absolutely.

I was going to give a 5 star rating because of the price, but felt that with the problems with the restaurant it doesnt warrant higher than the 4 for anyone staying here for the normal price

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Camber
The George in Rye
The Mermaid Inn
The Hope Anchor Hotel
Rye Lodge Hotel
Rye Lodge Hotel
#5 of 9 in Rye
The Flackley Ash Country House Hotel
River Haven Hotel

Been to The Gallivant? Share your experiences!