The Gallivant
$77
  • Pool
$94
  • Pool
Rye Lodge Hotel(Rye)(Great Value!)
$117
$139
  • Breakfast included
The Hope Anchor Hotel(Rye)(Great Value!)
$103
$93
$223
$106
The Regent Motel & Bar(Rye)(Great Value!)
$114
The Lodge at Winchelsea(Winchelsea)(Great Value!)
$100
TripAdvisor
1,496 results
All reviewsrestaurant with roomsdeck roomcamber sandsbeach hutsand dunesenglish wineslambdungenessopposite the beachwine listsmall roomboutique hotellocal producetea and cakesouth coastgranolacomfy bed
Reviewed February 26, 2009

I heard about this hotel from a colleague at work, who'd discovered that they were offering a hotel room for the night for a quid if you & partner have a 2 course meal each. I was a bit skeptical at first, thinking there had to be a catch - like paying at least £50 each for a meal.
We stayed there on 22nd Feb. Was pleasantly surprised, nice place and nice room too. Bar & restaurant small, although I think the outside area would make the place popular in summer.
Checked in about 3pm. Went for a walk and a drink or too in the Green Owl pub nearby (worth a visit - they have some good real ale there) and came back for dinner around 6pm. Ordered the Roast Beef dinner - excellent choice and followed it up with treacle pudding - also great.
Really enjoyed the food, had a great meal. They have Spitfire ob draught too !! Service very good and bed very comfortable, and the breakfast was also good - cooked to order.
The £1 a room deal was obviously working as quite a few people stayed over.
All in all enjoyed the stay. Not sure I'd go back & pay normal rates as it's about £80 for a double room - but would certainly go back if they had another promo deal on.

Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 12, 2009

Just returned from a lovely weekend at the Place at the Beach. This was booked for me by a friend of mine who knows we go away for the weekend regularly. She saw a deal on the local tv news channel whereby the Place at the beach was offering 1 and night deals for their rooms during January and February. We turned up a little skeptical that the hotel would be any good, but we needn't have worried. The hotel is very nice with a boutique feel about it. The deluxe room we were given was finished nicely, with heavy cotton covers on the very comfortable king size bed. The tv and DVD player in the room worked, the DVD library is a nice touch I've only ever seen in 1 other hotel.

We ate twice in the restaurant,which we found to be very reasonably priced (if you dont go for the expensive wine). The food we had was very good indeed. The mussels starter is especially recommended. I'd agree with the previous review regarding the hiccups experienced by the staff (all english which is a rarety these days) , but we found them to be courteous and helpful at all times.

The only negative comment regarding the food is that I felt the breakfast was overpriced at 7.50- I had 2 boiled eggs with a distinct lack of toast for this! I did ask for eggs benedict which is on the menu, but a rather bemused waitress came back to tell me the chef had run out of hollandaise sauce which made me chuckle.

The hotel is quite a way out of Rye, too far to walk. but the beach is just across the road, and there's also a pub about 2 minutes walk along the beach road which was very cosy with its big open fireplace.

So to sum up, we had a lovely time at the place at the beach, well done the owner for offering the pound a night deal to get people to fill the hotel and use the restaurant. The staff could do with some more experience to deal with a full restaurant but they were very accomodating and will come good in the end. I would definately stay here again- not for 95 pound a night which I think is the usual cost and which I think is pushing it, but for a good deal of say 50 pound a night, absolutely.

I was going to give a 5 star rating because of the price, but felt that with the problems with the restaurant it doesnt warrant higher than the 4 for anyone staying here for the normal price

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 7, 2009

we have just returned from three nights at the Place at the Beach. Overall we had a good break. the rooms were very clean, crisp white bedding etc and the staff were very pleasant. the room was warm (in fact we had to turn the radiator off). the location is great opposite the beach and a short drive into beautiful Rye. i would go back for a short break with the children.

however my husband wouldn't for the following reasons: the service in the restaurant is poor. the staff are nice but on the first evening we waited for over an hour from ordering for food to arrive. the staff were well practiced in apologising and removing cost from the bill suggesting this was not a rare occurance. the food was good when it did arrive but we could see little excuse for the delay as none of it was complicated. we did not eat there in the evening again but had breakfast each morning and always found items requested didn't show up (water, toast, milk etc etc). the food we did get was good but we did overhear complaints that sausages were still frozen in the middle from other diners.

the sound proofing in the bedrooms was terrible. luckily for us we had quiet neighbours except for the crying baby on night one. if there had been a repeat of the noise on the second night we might have had to have left early as it woke all of us. it sounded as though the other family were in the room with us.

please sort the sound proofing and restaurant service out and we will come back.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed December 29, 2008

As part of our package we had a dinner included. The restaurant had very few things on the menu available (we arrived at 7.30pm, hardly late) and those that were available required a supplementary payment. It advertises fresh local ingredients. The fish starter was not fresh and overcooked. I was served bad plaice as a main that had skin so dry and grey calcifying flesh so that any chef worth their salt would have realised it was off. I was offered a free drink as compensation! The rooms are small and our DVD did not work. There are far more charming places in the town of Rye with lots of good restaurants. I wouldn't come back.

• Stayed: December 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank nuriaMelbourne
Reviewed October 17, 2008

It was the first time I had eaten at The Place, but it came highly recommended from previous regular, satisfied customers, and they did not dissapoint!

We had a party of 8, and had booked one of the private rooms;
. . . not only was the food great, but the staff were FANTASTIC, they managed to pander to all our needs, including private screening of the x-factor, and drunken pictionary.

Food great, venue fab, staff & service superb.

Not only would I recommend this place, but we are re-booking for next time we are in the area.

Stayed: October 2008