“So near and yet so far...” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Gallivant

The Gallivant
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Camber
London, United Kingdom
“So near and yet so far...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2011

We booked into The Gallivant on a 3 night "Eat and Sleep" deal for £140 per night. Having looked at the website and seen the Mr and Mrs Smith recommendation, I was excited about this and felt that it seemed good value for money. However, I wish that I had read the Tripadvisor reviews more carefully as our stay at the Gallivant was truly a cautionary tale of the perils of relying on the term "boutique".

We arrived at about 6.45pm on the evening of Thursday 1st December. Although we had been called by the hotel a few minutes earlier asking when we intended to arrive and had told them that we were 10 minutes away, when we were shown to our room it was freezing cold as the heating had not been switched on and the blind (which I'll come on to in a moment) had not been shut. Furthermore, the room smelled stale and not entirely clean. It was pouring rain and very cold when we arrived and the fact that the room was so unwelcoming was made even more surprising when we were told by the receptionist that we were the only guests at the hotel.

We were given virtually no information about the hotel by the receptionist who didn't even walk into the room with us or offer us any assistance whatsoever with our luggage. Not least the wifi code is not written down anywhere (including in the welcome pack) so do make sure you ask for this.

Once we had warmed up, we inspected the room (Room 17) a little closer. I had seen that the beds in thr double rooms were small so I paid a bit more for a deluxe room. While the room was a decent size and nicely laid out in that it had a sofa and large TV, it was quite bare in appearance. Rather than having the wooden shutters which appear on the website, it had a cheap Roman blind which was tricky to put up. The sofa was stained and weirdly the bed did not have a headboard - more student bedroom than boutique hotel. The bed was indeed very large (and comfortable) but the pillows were tiny, flat and smelt unpleasantly of other people. The sheets were ok but felt as if they'd been washed in someone's old washing machine and lacked the usual hotel crispness. I agree with another reviewer's description of the furniture as being "Homebase". That said, the room could be so much better with small improvements such as a headboard, a few lamps, decent cushions on the bed and sofa, some nice blinds, a few more pictures and a nice throw. It could also do with a good airing.

The problems with the bathroom however could not be addressed quite so easily. It was very cold and there were mildew spots all over the ceiling and on the blind. The grouting was stained and the shower was one of those attached to the bath with no pressure. There was a shower curtain which while it appeared to be clean is unhygenic in itself and should be replaced by a glass screen. As commented on by other reviewers, the toilet had an incredibly weak flush. The fan worked on a sensor which meant that it came on during trips to the loo during the night and did not switch off for some time which was very noisy.

We went over to the Bistro for dinner. It is a welcoming and cozy space and has been nicely done (although the Ikea dining chairs are not comfortable on the back). Our waitress was extremely professional and friendly (I believe she was called Judit). My partner ordered the fish soup to start and I ordered the vegetable tart. As we had had a late lunch we decided to have 2 starters. My partner had the vegetable tart and I ordered what was described as prawns in spicy tomato butter. The vegetable tart and the soup were fine (although not great). The prawns were absolutely disgusting (and I don't use that description lightly). I could smell them before they arrived. What was put down before me was a plate of prawns smothered in chopped tomato sauce with no discernible sign of butter or spiciness. After a taste it was clear that the prawns were off as they tasted a bit like blue cheese. My partner tasted them and agreed and I had no choice but to send them back. Judit took them away and offered to give me something else but at that stage my partner was halfway through her food. I genuinely believe that I would have been quite ill had I finished the plate of food.

Although Judit was apologetic there was no apology from the kitchen nor did the chef come out to say anything (even though he could not have been busy as there were only 2 other couples there that night). This is at odds with Tudor's comments that the chef takes complaints seriously.

The food on the 2nd and 3rd nights was fine but not great given how pricey the food is - comparable to my local London bistro but not as good. We were surprised that no bread is given before the meal. We were very hungry on Friday so asked for some bread only to be served ice cold, stale bread. We had to ask for butter as it was originally presented with nothing. The service on the whole was pretty good although the waitress on Friday was not great. She just poured the wine without asking us to taste it and we had to ask for things (eg the bread) a number of times.

The one stand out bright spot with the food was the raspberry and chocolate pudding which was absolutely delicious and I had on all 3 nights. If the rest of the food could be brought up to this level, the Gallivant would be doing very well.

Despite the fact that the Gallivant clearly caters for tourists and holiday makers as opposed to the business traveller (and the fact that we were the only guests on Thursday 1st December) we were told that breakfast was only available until 9.30am which is obviously very early. As a result we chose to miss it on 2nd December although we had it on the 3rd and 4th (it finishes at the still early time of 10am on weekends) and it was good as was the service. Despite being busy, our waitress was friendly and efficient. We liked the fact that we could make our own toast (although the settings were a little off on the toaster).

As other reviewers have mentioned, the bill was put in the pigeon hole outside on the Sunday morning before we checked out. To my immense irritation, I saw that although we had been on the Eat and Sleep deal, we had been charged for all the food. Although the prawns had been taken off the bill, no reduction was made meaning that this was meaningless as we had paid an inclusive price. I telephoned reception . The phone was answered by a surly and unhelpful woman and no apology whatsover despite overcharges of some £150!! When I finished breakfast I went to speak to reception as it had not been explained to me what would happen next. The lady I had spoken to on the phone did not bother to stand up and speak to me and instead went through her colleague who said that the items would be removed. (The distance from the small office behind reception to where I was standing is about 8 feet at most). I understood that I was to come back before we left to confirm the reissued bill. However, when I returned to reception 15 minutes later there was no one there. I sent an email early today to the Gallivant about this bill and have not yet had the courtesy of a response.

Some reviewers have commented negatively on the exterior of the hotel. I don't agree with this as I think the exterior is well maintained. It is not (despite the impression perhaps given by the website) overlooking Camber Sands which is about a 10 minute walk away and the hotel has no view of the beach.

In summary, it is easy to see what the Gallivant is trying to be and it can get there if money is spent on small changes to the rooms and refurbishing the bathrooms as well as improvements to the standards of the cooking.While some of the staff are excellent, a number of them are not with the result that the service is far too patchy for a hotel pitching itself at this level. As things stand, it appears to me that it is trading on its inexplicable Mr and Mrs Smith recommendation and its proximity to Camber Sands and Rye. There is far too big a disjoint between what it claims to be (and prices itself on)and what it actually is.

Would I go back to the Gallivant? No (although I do hope to get back to beautiful Camber Sands)
Would I recommend the Gallivant? No - not without significant changes being made.

I see from Tudor's comments elsewhere that he claims to welcome criticism and I hope that these comments will be taken in the constructive spirit with which they were intended.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Granuailo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2011

A lovely hotel, warm and friendly staff and beautiful inside. The outside of the hotel definitely lets it down and is a little bit off putting once inside though the rooms are all put together really nicely. We ate in the restaurant and the service was excellent although a number of us had the lamb dish which was very poor (undercooked and grisly!). A shame everything else was lovely. I would recommend to anyone with children as it is very family friendly.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Debbie S
thegallivant, Owner at The Gallivant, responded to this review, December 13, 2011
Hi Debbie
Thank you for your lovely review. The gardens to the front of the property in winter aren't looking great - it is mainly indigenous planting of grasses and similar and doesn't fair well in the winter months - although everything is being replanted in the Spring which we hope will tidy everything up dramatically.
The Romney salt marsh lamb neck fillet that you mention is probably our most popular dish. We have served hundreds of portions over the past couple of months and to be very candid we have had a handful of complaints regarding the chewiness of some of fillets we have served.
It's a bit of a quandary as the lamb is absolutely delicious and 99% of the time it's faultless...but like all meat occasionally some can be not quite right. Rather than taking it off the menu we have recently decided to carefully trim the neck end of each of these fillets to ensure there is no sinew in them, this should alleviate the problem. Sorry it put a bit of a downer on things but thanks for bringing it to our attention and glad to say we've now fixed the problem.
Swansea, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2011

My partner and I spent a Friday night at The Gallivant, having found the hotel through Mr & Mrs Smith. I paid a discounted rate as I booked at last minute and have to say I would have been extremely disappointed had I paid the full price.

The hotel is in the middle of a fairly run down area; not the usual Mr & Mrs Smith property I am used to. From the outside it looks very much like and old beach shack but perhaps in summer it would look more appealing. We had a pleasant welcome from a young lady who showed us to our room. The decor is beachy and shabby chic - we had a double room which was plenty big enough with a large television but no wardrobe, simply 5 coat hangers on the wall! We would have appreciated being told that fresh milk is available for tea / coffee - we made do with the UHT provided assuming there was nothing else available. In addition, we couldn't find the password for the hotel wifi anywhere - not even written down in the welcome book.

We had a three course meal in the restaurant which was good; the service was polite but very slow - we were disappointed when the couple next to us received their meal before we did (and we had ordered first!). I had mussels to start and did not receive a finger bowl - extremely disappointing as this should really be standard. When I asked the waitress for one nothing came.

My partner and I didn't have the best night's sleep - our room was at the end of a corridor and from the early hours of the morning we could here doors being opened and closed with people getting up for breakfast (which starts at 7.30pm so no chance of a lie-in). Very noisy as they are fairly heavy doors. The bathroom was clean as were the towels but the toilet had a very weak flush. The rubber duck doesn't even float properly!

I woke up to find that an invoice had been posted under our bedroom door - how insensitive! Is this normal at The Gallivant? I have stayed in countless hotels and never come across this. As the weekend was a surprise for my partner I would have felt extremely annoyed had he read the bill. On top of this, I noted that I had been charged over £5 for service at dinner when I left money on the table for our waitress. From a customer's point of view I didn't want to make a fuss about it and so did not ask for it to be taken off the bill - disappointed I ended up tipping twice though.

Breakfast was varied and a nice touch were the homemade jams. The waiting staff seemed a little all over the place taking orders for cooked breakfast - we weren't sure what we were supposed to do as the breakfast menu wasn't clear. Order was finally taken and we had a bit of a wait for food. I chose soft boiled eggs with marmite soldiers which arrived very hard!

Checked out early as I would assume most guests do as breakfast was only served until 9.30am - certainly not as relaxed as I would have hoped. 90% of the guests that weekend were couples.

1 Thank janey84
Hi Janey
Thank you for your review.
The hotel vibe is very much 'beach shack' but with luxury touches, great food, service and an amazing location. Our primary aim is for everyone to leave feeling relaxed and refreshed and obviously I am very disappointed that you had a less than optimum stay with us.
You make some very good points which I will ensure are addressed - wifi password and fresh milk available from the Bistro - thank you.
I can't comment on why your meal was slow as I am not sure when you dined with us but happy you thought the food was good - I am really sorry you didn't get a finger bowl when requested, that wasn't good and I apologise for that.
Breakfast starts at 8am not 7.30am and ends at 10am and although we have soft closers on all the bedroom doors I am sorry you were disturbed by other guests going to breakfast - there isn't much we can do to solve that one I am afraid. We will check the rubber ducks for their floating abilities.
We have started to 'post' customers bills under the door overnight mainly as a response to customer demand - guests wanted the chance to review their bills in their own time and not hurriedly at check out. It should have been folded however so perhaps this didn't happen in your instance - sorry for that and thank you for bringing it to our attention - that will be rectified.
Not sure how we could make the breakfast menu more clear - everything comes included in the room rate. Sorry that your eggs were overcooked - once again a little difficult for me to comment directly on this but that shouldn't have happened.
Overall I can see you didn't have the greatest of times and that is really disappointing to hear. I really hope you choose to come back when I am sure we will make up for any shortcomings this time around.
Northamptonshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2011

My other half booked this, taking a bit of a 'gamble' as a surprise for our birthdays (he was concerned it was close to Pontins). But it was a brilliant treat and in the most fabulous location opposite the beautiful Camber Sands. Our bedroom was clean and very comfortable with its washed-wood charm, there was a relaxing guest sitting room; the staff were discreet yet friendly, and the meals was absolutely first class. Being opposite the beach was a winner, and despite being mid-November we were very lucky with wonderful weather, walking the sands collecting driftwood in our t-shirts and then, incredibly, able to enjoy Sunday lunch outside. And so close to the wonderful Rye. A perfect all-round weekend treat. Highly recommend, and will be sure to return.

Hi Rachael
You seemed to have really 'discovered' why we think Camber is so special. Yes there's a Pontins in the town, but it's half a mile down the road and invisible so frankly it's irrelevant. What is relevant however is the amazing beach we have on our doorstep, the amazing weather we seem to get when the rest of the country is grey and rainy, our great food, our relaxed atmosphere and the general effect this combination seems to have on 95% of the people that come and stay with us for a night or two.
I am often surprised not more people want to eat outside when the sun is shinning, even in December - we have heaters on the front terrace and if you wrap up there is nothing more enjoyable in our opinion - really happy you do too!
Come down in the Spring and you can do it all again in a Tshirt!
london
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2011

We booked this through Mr and Mrs Smith, who normally profile boutique, high quality hotels. The Gallivant is basically a bland chalet type building on a fairly busy main road, and its had a bit of a paint job, interior design overhaul. We were not convinced. The restaurant was good, if slightly pricey compared to our equivalent local London restaurant. Our bed was supposed to be a double but was very small and soundproofing in walls is not good. Otherwise rooms were clean and bathrooms good. Proximity to Camber sands is great, but would look for somewhere else to stay quite frankly as thought it was overpriced for what it was. Their was mould on my marlmade jar at breakfast, the booking was mixed up and we got charged incorrectly, which was however resolved at check-out. I think this place is ok for families but its not really a good place for discerning romantic couples.

Room Tip: go for bigger rooms or suites
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Hello sphinx007
Thank you for your review. I'm obviously disappointed that you thought our hotel building was a 'tarted up butlins building'. Unfortunately I can't comment as I have never been to Butlins but am very confident the Californian/New England feel to the inside is a million miles away from that...Glad you like the food, it is all local and seasonal and as it doesn't arrive in the back of a freezer truck tends to be rather expensive unfortunately - considerably more, perversely than buying ingredients in Central London.
I'm really sorry that you felt the bed was too small and the walls were too thin. We very, very rarely get noise issues as we spent an absolute fortune soundproofing all the rooms when we bought the hotel a couple of years ago, although perhaps you were next door to a very noisy couple?
I am frankly horrified that there was mould on the marmalade jar at breakfast. Without knowing when you stayed or if you spoke to someone about this at the time I am at a bit of a loss to respond - all the jams and marmalade are 'decanted' every morning into individual jars so not sure how this could have happened.
If you do come and stay another time it would be great if you could bring up any issues at the time so we can act on them - perhaps we could have moved you into another room for instance.
Anyway thank you for your review and we hope you have a great Christmas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2011

Just returned from a weekend at The Gallivant. We were fortunate with the weather and so the hotels location right adjacent the beach is great if you can use it. The hotel was well managed, well finished and well serviced. The rooms were very good and comfortable with all the amenities you should need. It has a cosy 'motel' boutique chic about the place which was initially unexpected but we soon liked the concept. The food was first class, excellent fish and service. A relaxing spot surrounded by interesting places to visit, so well worth visiting.

Room Tip: The Beach Hut Suite
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank James O
Hi James
Thank you for your review - our cosy 'motel' boutique chic is a good description! The weather has been really great over the past few weeks so the beach really comes into it's own, but to be honest, even when it's not so great there is nothing quite as exhilarating as a long walk on a stormy beach followed by a delicious supper in our Bistro.
SURREY, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2011

From the outside it does not look inspiring but inside it has a welcoming feel with very comfortable rooms and many extra touches. The Sitting room is a great place to relax while the bedroom was very comfortable, clean and well decked out. The evening meal at the restaurant was of a high level and excellent value. I always look at how much they charge for the wine and again it was sensible pricing.
The location is excellent for walks along the sand and even into Rye for the more energetic.
Both my wife and I really enjoyed our stay and will go back

Hi Stephen
There's not much we can do with the outside, it is what it is, a single storey, solidly built building from the 70's...having said that it's what we have done to the inside that we hope makes up for first appearances! We are trying hard to make everyones stay enjoyable, with great food served in the Bistro and a quirky but very relaxing and chilled out environment that is quite Californian in it's feel in the bedrooms and Sitting Room. I'm really glad you appreciated all the hard work and hope to see you again in the Spring.
The Gallivant Team
Also consider these accommodations in or near Camber
The George in Rye
Rye Lodge Hotel
#5 of 9 in Rye
River Haven Hotel
Claverton Country House Hotel

Been to The Gallivant? Share your experiences!