“Breakfast at the French Tarte”
Review of The French Tarte

The French Tarte
Ranked #3 of 6 Coffee & Tea in Surbiton
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed April 28, 2019

Having been wanting to try this place for sometime my wife and I popped in for breakfast. The place was busy and we were found a table with the proviso that it was reserved from 2pm which wasn't a problem. I had a cappuccino and avo on sourdough toast with poached egg which was perfectly acceptable, My wife had scrambled eggs with a bacon side (smoked salmon wasn't available) which she particularly enjoyed. Overall it was a pleasant experience and we will certainly be back.

Reviewed April 19, 2019

TFT is a regular part of my daily routine either for morning coffee or afternoon snack. The patisseries are amazing, and the staff are lovely and I've found the service has always been great.

1  Thank iamollieb
Reviewed April 11, 2019 via mobile

We visited today for afternoon tea as it's my mum's birthday. At the time of booking I requested one tea without cheese or egg. When asked the reason for the visit I explained that it was a birthday and was asked my mum's name. Some sort of surprise might be afoot, I thought. When we arrived the place was deserted - only the staff members were there. We were given our tea - my dietary request was ignored but, to be fair, I didn't bring this to the attention of the waitress. The food was incredibly disappointing - fussy and, to us, generally unappealing. We ate what we could and awaited the warm scones promised as a finale. The three members of staff failed to notice that we had finished for some time - they were too busy chatting. The clincher was when one of them left the conversation and proceeded to mop the floor!! This was at 4pm and the place wasn't due to close for an hour. It was so off-putting that we gave up waiting for the scones (although we were offered the chance to take them home but even these didn't look very nice). We will not be visiting again!

Reviewed March 31, 2019

My family and i had Mother's day afternoon tea at the French Tarte in Surbiton this afternoon. We had had one last year at Teddington but decided to try this on the actual day. The selection of warm savouries were very original and full of flavour. The raspberry scones despite not being warmed were very nice and the french pastries were plentiful and I brought them home with me in a box. The selection of teas and tisanes were lovely and the opportunity to have a glass of chilled Muscat as well as Champagne was a lovely touch and one which I enjoyed. The staff were very pleasant and didn't mind our grand daughter wandering around.
What was very unexpected was that all the ladies in our party were given a gift of an apron labelled 'with love from the french tarte. and a wrapped luxury chocolate wafer. This was a lovely touch especially as it was not just to the mothers in the party.
I can well recommend this place and their afternoon tea, it was one of my most original and enjoyable afternoon tea's I have ever had with not a sandwich in site.
Thank you to all concerned, we will be back.

Date of visit: March 2019
Reviewed March 31, 2019 via mobile

A decadent afternoon with no children! A walk along the river in the sunshine, followed by a fabulous tiered platter of treats. I especially enjoyed the savoury layer, but the array of sweets was also excellent. Very good service by knowledgeable waitress.

Date of visit: March 2019