“Great regular dining place”

Allegro Cafe & Restaurant
Ranked #20 of 115 Restaurants in Surbiton
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Italian
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Kids, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
London, United Kingdom
“Great regular dining place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

I am a return diner here. The staff are lovely, the decor is lovely and the food is sound tasty Italian food, but good value. The house red is afforable and really nice. I recommend it to everyone as it's a great all rounder!

• Visited June 2013

Worcester Park, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Cant go wrong with this local no frills gem”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

Im completely shocked by some of the recent posts about poor service as its the main reason we keep coming back. We'ved moved out of the area now but still travel to Surbiton for quality, home-cooked italian food at excellent prices and with friendly service. Anyone expecting a romantic venue for 2 or high brow italian will be disspointed but this is not what allegro is about.

We went last Wednesday night, my hubby had Calzone + beer, I had pasta with crab and chilli sauce + cranberry juice and our friend had the mezze platter for one and glass of wine and it came to less than £35 including tip - you cant beat that!

• Visited August 2013
Kingston upon Thames, England, United Kingdom
“An acceptable lunch;”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

Had lunch here with my parents last week; seems pleasant enough, with a good selection of Italian and English meals. Their pizza menu struck me as less inspired than one might find at the best Italian trattorias, but my quatro stagioni was perfectly acceptable. I wouldn't describe it as gourmet Italian cuisine, or the best I've ever had, but it was above average.

The bill for three people came to £48 including main courses, drinks and dessert or coffee, very much in line with comparable Italian restaurants. For myself, I could find better food for the same price, but Allegro was attractive to my parents (my Dad has some dietary restrictions and the availability of plain food is important) and plenty good enough for me. No complaints if someone else is paying, I probably wouldn't take friends here in my own right.

Further to the remarks of other reviewers, we had no problems with rude or unfriendly service on our visit; the service was unremarkable, but adequate to the task at hand. It did not stick out as being unusually good or bad; it is not on the "must do again" list, but nor is it on the "avoid" list. Acceptable if one wants Italian/English cuisine within a stone's throw of Surbiton station, I probably wouldn't travel to dine here.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Keith D
Surbiton, United Kingdom
“Don't go here if you want friendly service.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

The waiter and waitress were very rude and could barely raise a smile. The food was mediocre, but not worth the money. The pasta sauce was clearly not freshly cooked but tasted liked Sainsbury's own pasta sauce. The garlic bread portion was tiny and pathetic. In addition, they assumed that the change from our bill was a tip, which it clearly was not considering the service.

• Visited July 2013
3 Thank Kat B
“Inconsistent service and not family friendly”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

We had a meal with our 3 years old son and this leaved us with a bad and sour taste in our mouth.
The owner is rather grumpy and the food is okish.
The owner and waiter were super friendly with some people probably the one they are happy to have as "regular" but then with other clients including us rather obnoxious, cold and not a smile was spared for us.
As little boy do after the meal my son got up and wanted to explore, I was behind him (which is already a lot of stress for parents) to make sure he was not hurting himself, others, knocking this...etc....just to find the owner running also after my son not even 1mn after he got up and when he could obviously see I was in control and that he behaved nicely for all the meal.
Maybe he had bad experiences before but he obviously overreacted and could have at least made it politely with half a smile.
I live in Surbiton and this restaurant will be the last place I will have a meal with my kid or even without him.
I like friendly and consistent service regardless of if you are young, old, a couple or a family.....
I would not recommend this place to anybody especially with kids and I will make sure all my friends in Surbiton do not go there neither.

• Visited June 2013