“Best London Stay”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Surbiton
Guernsey, United Kingdom
“Best London Stay”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Just returned from a quick visit to London - one which we do frequently and find it hard to get decently priced hotels on the outskirts. Hotel Bosco in Surbiton was a diamond find - excellent transport links to anywhere within the capital, beautiful riverside walk to Kingston for the shopping, very clean with a contemporary feel and lovely staff. Will stay there again and highly recommend it to anyone looking for similar accommodation. The fact that car parking is about 2 minutes walk away is no problem but with such good transport links who needs a car?!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nina M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We have just returned from a two night break, we booked and paid extra for a exec room with a balcony but when we arrived there wasn't 't one available.
After much debate and calls to the third party we accepted with Adam the manager to stay in the room allocated until the following day when a balcony room would be available, by way of compensation we accepted the Bosco brunch and some drinks along with a glass of bubbly which was most welcome on our morning of departure, lovely hotel, lovely food and people will be staying again in the future and I will book direct although the staff have said they do some very good deals on eBay which maybe worth a look. Only a 2 minute walk to the rail station network, we were at Trafalger Square in about 35mins, loved our stay. Thanks team ESP Adam ,

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Karen020667
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights with my girlfriend as we were attending a wedding in the area. I lived in Surbiton for 4 years previously and had often walked past the bar which looked lovely, but I never realised there was also a hotel until I started looking for somewhere to stay in the area. Literally a stones throw from Surbiton station and near bus stops in both directions the location of this hotel is great.

We had to press a bell to get a member of staff to come to the front desk but I don't see this as a problem. We had made the cake for the wedding we were attending so had a plenty of stuff with us that we needed to carry to our room. The staff opened doors throughout the hotel for us and short of carrying everything they couldn't have been more helpful. We dropped this off (with our car parked out the front of the hotel) then drove the 2 minutes to the available (free!) car park. The parking was close by and very convenient considering the price of parking in the area.

The room looked lovely upon entering. Clean, spacious and tidy. The bathroom was the same, very smart and modern looking. Air con/heating was available in the room which is always a plus, along with the usual tea/coffee, hairdryer etc. No safe or fridge though.

We stayed on the first floor in a room that seemed to be just above the bar and had no music issues, but we stayed during two weeknights. There were also extractors outside our room which I presume were for the kitchen but we had no issues with noise or any greasy smells or anything. There was no view (other than the extractor fans and a wall) but being on the ground floor in a city area I wasn't expecting wonderful views.

Breakfast in the morning was a lovely array of food - pastries, cereals, eggs, toast, yoghurt, smoked salmon. All you can eat. No sausages in sight. I'm 100% an english breakfast type of guy but I did really enjoy the food on offer which was included in our room price. It was nice to chill out in the bar area before heading back up to our room. The only improvement I can think of would be to have a jug of chilled tap water available next to the various fruit juices, though I'm sure water would have been provided had I asked.

Overall the rooms looked great with good facilities, and the staff were pleasant. We didn't have lunch, dinner or night-time drinks at the bar so can't comment. The bed was super comfy and I had two really good nights sleep. When we ran a bath it was a nice design but a tad fiddly to work out. The bath water was also very very warm, even on the coolest available setting. I just left it for 5 minutes to cool down.

Negatives?

Well whilst the bathroom is spacious there's no chance of having a shave in there. The spotlighting looks lovely but there's not enough light to do anything without slashing your face open. There were cigarette butts and various bits of rubbish outside our window (in a non-smoking room?) and if we could see it standing near the bed I'm sure housekeeping would have done too. When we left, whilst the lady on reception was efficient and polite she wasn't particularly warm or friendly. Only a minor gripe, all other staff we met during our stay were great.

There was also someone walking around outside our bedroom windows during the day at some point (there was some sort of flat roof going around our room with pipework and extractor fans etc). They appeared to be doing (very quiet!) maintenance and this is fine, but it would have been nice to have been warned. Our curtains were open and being in my own hotel room I would have no worries about wandering around minus my clothes. Luckily this wasn't the case when they walked past.

A very enjoyable and comfortable stay, I would return if I was staying in the area again and would recommend to friends.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Beautiful hotel ! Everything was great! Will be back!
Me and my boyfriend stayed for two nights. Food was great! I loved the room design! Comfy bed, lovely bathroom! Staff was very helpful! The location very good to, just a minute away from train station. Very easy get to Kingston & Richmond !

• Stayed June 2013
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 20, 2013

My room was above the bar and the very loud live music beneath me drove me mad for 3 hours! You would think that the hotel would ask if you wanted a quiet room when they know they have live music on! disappointing lack of consideration and not a n inexpensive hotel.

Room Tip: Don't accept a room over the bar if there is live music playing
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Staffs18
Alison W, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Bosco, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Staffs18,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review, as all feedback is greatly appreciated.

Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay with residual noise from the Bosco Lounge, and I thank you for bringing this to our attention. Noise levels are monitored at all times as they should not affect guest bedrooms, and I would like to assure you that this room has never been affected on a previous occasion.

I hope very much that you will choose to stay with us in the future, and as such please do not hesitate to contact me so that I can personally look after your reservation.
Dudley
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Booked this hotel for one night for my husbands birthday. Location is brilliant - right by the train station- walking distance to Kingston- next to a wetherspoons if you want cheaper food or drinks. Staff were really helpful and polite- rooms were good however our tv did play up a bit! The bar was nice and had a dj on till 1am on Saturday. Breakfast was lovely- however if you were stopping for a few days you might want a bit more variety! Would stop here again.

• Stayed June 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed May 29, 2013

First of all the hotel is one block from the train station for simple access to London! Second.... It is exceptionally clean.... Spotless in fact! The staff is caring and thoughtful and the food is delicious! We loved our stay and would highly recommend to anyone visiting the London area!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Surbiton
Holiday Inn London-Kingston South
Antoinette Hotel Kingston upon Thames
Antoinette Hotel Kingston upon T...
#7 of 12 in Kingston upon Thames
Doubletree by Hilton London Kingston Upon Thames
Doubletree by Hilton London King...
#4 of 12 in Kingston upon Thames
#6 of 12 in Kingston upon Thames
Travelodge Chessington Tolworth
Travelodge Chessington Tolworth
#8 of 12 in Kingston upon Thames

Been to Hotel Bosco? Share your experiences!