“Simply magnificent”

Taj Exotica Resort & Spa
Perth, Australia
“Simply magnificent”
Reviewed November 29, 2009

We travelled to Taj Exotica for our honeymoon and truly loved the experience.
It is located 20 minutes from Male, and after being greeted by their staff in the arrivals area at Male airport, we were taken away to the boat for a short trip to the island. On the boat we were presented with cold towels and cold bottled water which was most welcome, and a nice introduction to the Hotel.

The staff were always very friendly and helpful, even when dealing with a complaint we had. We came back to our villa after breakfast on our first morning at Taj to hear kids splashing around in the water in front of our villa, and their mother yelling at them from their room next door. After an hour or so of this, we decided we had to change rooms, and upon approaching management and explaining that we were on our honeymoon and didn't expect to be surrounded by kids when we booked the Taj, they were very good in finding us another room and having all of our luggage shifted that afternoon. We thought the situation was handled very well. After the first day, we also never had to tell any of the staff our room number when we visited the restaurant, and we were always greated with a personal welcome, "Good morning Mr and Mrs ..."

The room was very acceptable. We had a lagoon villa (without the plunge pool) which we thought was fine. The room was big enough to move around in, the deck was large enough for two deck chairs, a table and two chairs to fit comfortably, and the access door from the deck to the bathroom was a good idea. The young men in charge of cleaning our room were also very attentive and it was always clean and tidy after they had visited each day. The rooms had a connection for our ipod, the bed was comfortable, and the bath overlooking the ocean was a nice touch. We also enjoyed the nightly treats, ranging from chocolate cake, to biscuits that were left in our room when we came back from dinner.

The food and drinks were also supurb. We had selected the half-board option for our package, and the breakfast and dinner was more than enough. There are two restaurants on the island, but we only ate at the one restaurant that was included in our package as the food there was simply devine, both breakfast and dinner. My wife enjoyed one breakfast recipe so much that she had it most days, and on our last day there, the staff presented her with the recipe which she thought was just great! The restaurant has different food theme nights every second night, so you were never short of a new food option during the stay! A story I must share, one night per week, the restaurant serves lobster on the menu. On learning that my wife loves lobster but that we would miss the lobster night, we were suprised the following night when one of the managers, between our chosen entree and main courses, presented us with two lobster dishes, at no additional cost. Needless to say we had more than enough food that night! The wine list is also extensive, if not a little pricey, but you should know that before you leave. We also enjoyed the bar for sunset drinks, and managed to build a good rapour with the staff there.

Overall the Taj is everything that you could ask for. There will always be things that you wish were slightly better, but nothing that remotely spoiled our honeymoon. The Hotel has everything that you need, including its own desalination plant, so the water is always fresh. Would recommend it to a couple for a honeymoon or a getaway, but not a place for kids, and anyone thinking of taking kids to this island should reconsider other accommodation as it is built for couples and adults and not only will the kids be bored, but they may annoy the other guests also! It does not have an extensive range of activities available, outside of some snorkelling and diving, and is more for relaxation than adventure.

We also enjoyed the spa and the morning yoga sessions, something neither of us had done before.

It is expensive, yes, but you should be aware of this before you go, and we did not feel we overpaid for the experience that we had.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank VactionTraveller
KunalArya, Resort Co-ordinator at Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 29, 2009
Dear Guest,

Greeting from Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, Maldives.

Thank you for your positive note. We have communicated your comments to the entire team at Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, Maldives and we are sure they will serve as an inspiration for us to achieve even higher standards of excellence.

We hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back at Taj Exotica Resort & Spa and we will ensure you have another memorable stay.

If there is any other food preparation from our restaurants which has taken your fancy please do contact us and we will be delighted to share the recipe with you.

In the meantime, if I can be of any assistance please do let me know.

Best regards
Kunal Arya
Resort Co-ordinator
Email: kunal.arya@tajhotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
singapore
Reviewed November 20, 2009

Positive
- What an experience
- Unlimited a la carte brekkie
- Quiet surroundings

Negative
- 2 restaurants

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
KunalArya, Resort Co-ordinator at Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 30, 2009
Dear Guest

Greeting from Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, Maldives.

Thank you for your positive note. We have communicated your comments to the entire team at Taj Exotica Resort & Spa and we are sure they will serve as an inspiration for us to achieve even higher standards of excellence.

While we do have two restaurants –

Deep End - which is the only restaurant in Maldives to be featured in the list of Conde Nast’ Hot Tables specializes in Progressive World Cuisine which is quintessentially blending the various flavours of European cuisine

Our all day dining restaurant 24 Degrees does feature various options from all over the world ranging from South America to comfort food from Europe to the cuisines of Far East where we also feature theme nights like Indian Ocean Sea Food Night, Barbeque and Asian night.

We also have various options available for dining such as the special barbeque for our guest in the privacy of their own villa at the villa deck, lunch at the poolside, private dinner for couple under the moonlight at the Ocean Pavilion, intimate dinner at the pavilion located at the far end of the island for complete privacy and dinner for couple set in the soft white sand of Maldives under the starlit sky.

We are also delighted to share with you that we received the ‘Best Leading Hotel of the World’ for Commitment to Quality & Excellence in 2009 as well as the "2009 Asia Pacific Quality Award" from the Leading Hotels of the World amongst the 450 iconic hotels all over the world in the month of November 2009.

We will be more than happy to hear your further feedback as your inputs are integral to our quest for excellence. You can write to me at kunal.arya@tajhotels.com

In the meantime, if I can be of any assistance please do let me know.

Best regards
Kunal Arya
Resort Co-ordinator
Northern Ireland
Reviewed November 11, 2009

From we were greeted at the airport until we were left back at the departure gate we have never experienced service like this. The staff were fantastic, nothing was a problem and the facilities were second to none!
We were in a deluxe lagoon villa with private plunge pool.... fantastic! The room was spacious, tastefully decorated and totally private. Bath robes, slippers, kinoma type robe, flip flops, Molten Brown toiletries, even a handbag were supplied. Towels in abundance too! Mini bar was available at extra cost and was well stocked with champagne, wine, beers, spirits, chocolates and nibbles. The butler service was excellent and our butler Hussian could not have done enough for us.
The island itself was spotless infact it was swept every morning from one end to the other!! The water was crystal clear and the snorkelling was first class. Facilities on the island were excellent. The dining world class. I dont think I have ever seen such a variety of food available and if what you wanted was not there you asked! Internet was available free at the well stocked library and was also availble in your villa at a charge. All in all this really was the holiday of a lifetime and there was absolutely nothing we could have faulted. I could go on talking about this experience for ever but would be afraid of boring your readers!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
TERSMLE, Manager at Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 17, 2009
We were delighted to have you with us and thank you for your review on TripAdvisor.

While it is always beneficial to learn from our guests where improvement is required, it is infinitely more pleasant to read the very complimentary comments you wrote. We very much appreciated your kind words. We are genuinely interested in your impressions and truly always endeavor to provide the best possible experience for all our guests. We were pleased to find your stay was pleasant and comfortable.

We look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit to the Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, Maldives

Regards
Director of Sales
India
Reviewed October 25, 2009

If you are looking for relaxing, unwinding, searching for a getaway this is the perfect resort for you. Located just about 10 min from the Mala airport this is a beautiful property of the Taj group.
I spent countless hours on the internet looking through numerous resorts in Maldives was looking for a resort for a perfect honeymoon. This was a small property (around 64 villas approx in total) which was a big plus for me, I didn’t want to go to a resort where I had to fight for a share of my beach or share a view with my neighbour, The villas are very well spaced, I spent my stay in the Beach Villa, which me and my wife fell in love with immediately. There is enough privacy, the resort was at 100% occupancy when we stayed there and it didn’t feel like it.
The Island itself is very well maintained, you can always see the staff hard at work making the island look beautiful and it shows, you can walk bare foot from one end to the other and not have a single scratch on your leg.
The Beach Vila that we stayed in was very well appointed, it had all the equipment and amenities you expect from a luxury resort, From a large plasma television to a Bose music system and an well equipped personal bar (which by the way is charged), Enough plugs to charge you gadgets, a safe, a very decent closet. Wireless internet is available at an extra cost or you can walk in to the Library for free wired internet access. The beach villa also has a small swimming pool, while some might find it redundant, we welcomed it and after spending some time in the ocean, we would always get in to the pool to just laze around and enjoy the view.
We went with a bed & breakfast plan, but the good thing about this resort is the breakfast is sumptuous and they serve breakfast till 11, if you don’t like something on the menu, no problem ask for something you want and you can have it made, you hardly get a response as a no or not possible on this island. We always had a heavy breakfast and skipped lunch. Just to give you an idea as to cost of meal on the island, breakfast for one person costs around $17 (approx). Dinner costs around $ 50 for 2, this is without any drinks, you can add about $15 per glass for an decent wine, what you also need to consider is that every bill has a 10% service charge. In villa dining is also available and the price is usually $5 more than the restaurant menu. One minor thing that bothered me is that they charge for water in the restaurant, even for the regular water, they charge about $5 for a litre of regular water or if you prefer a different brand of still or sparkling water then you can order it as well.
You can keep this price in mind which will help you decide if you want to go with a meal plan, I did not choose a meal plan and it worked out cheaper for me, also I carried along some snacks with me which really helped. Also the meal plan may not cover alcohol, so be sure and double check if you are indeed going with a meal plan, it does not cover in villa dining as well.
The one this I really liked is the butler service, you will be assigned a butler who will help you from check in to check out, they will be your single point of contact for everything you might need during the stay, for arranging private dinners to giving tips on which part of the island is best to snorkel and what trips are worth taking.
The dive centre has got some great people and they would definitely make your water sports worthwhile, I am not a great swimmer and never snorkelled in my life, however I enjoyed my snorkelling trip to the max, our guide made sure of it.
We also took the submarine dive (this is done by an external agency, Taj only facilitates the trip) were not so impressed with submarine dive, in our opinion not worth the money spent for it ($155 per person) rather what we heard is if you are comfortable go to the diving classes and then go for diving, you would have lot more fun.
One more interesting trip was the Sunset cruise, we could not see the sun set because of the clouds but it was made up by seeing scores of dolphins jumping around our boat, which was our luck because you can’t see them every day.
We stayed for 4N5D and got what we wanted, the weather was great and did not rain for the days we stayed; overall a fantastic experience and Taj can expect us back!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest:

While it is always beneficial to learn from our guests where improvement is required, it is infinitely more pleasant to read the very complimentary comments you wrote. We very much appreciated your kind words. We are genuinely interested in your impressions and truly always endeavor to provide the best possible experience for all our guests. We were pleased to find your overall stay was pleasant and comfortable.

We do hope that you will give us an opportunity to welcome you back to our resort soon!!

Regards
Dir of Sales
Walnut Creek, CA
Reviewed October 23, 2009

Mostly when I scour these reviews, what I'm looking for is the negatives as differentiators. So let me give it to you straight up. There is no reef on the island itself.

This is compensated for to a large extent by the gorgeous, large lagoon that surrounds the island, and then wholly compensated for by the fact that in every other way imaginable, the resort is perfect. The location, rooms, food, spa, service. I could go on and on about all these aspects, but will just say that if you're trying to decide on a really 5 star resort, that won't disappoint, this is a sure bet. You'll pay a lot, but you already know that :-) At least here, you end up feeling that it was worth it!

Having been lucky enough to travel to the Maldives a few times, I have visited several properties. I'd visit other resorts again, depending on the rate, time of year, and what I was going for - but Taj Exotica is the only resort that I came away from not wishing something had been different, or better in some way. A small but powerful example of the difference between Taj and some of the other 5 stars - when you go to the pool, someone comes by immediately with ice cold water and towels. 30 minutes later, they come by with chilled fruit. I can't say how many times I have been to 5 star resorts which leave you sweating for 10 mins or longer before someone comes by to bring towels, see if you want anything or to help put up an umbrella.

Every restroom, even the outdoor restrooms near public areas, has luxury products - highe end liquid soap and lotion. Would it have changed my experience if one of the bathrooms near the pool had standard issue soap? Not really, but in a luxury resort, it's all in the details. And those small charming touches add up to a really spectacular time. Taj Exotica reminds me of the time I went to a particular Michelin restaurant and, while I do remember the meal was spectacular, what really surprised me and what I will always remember is that they had tied silk ribbon around their spare toilet rolls in the bathroom. I didn't know before how toilet paper could possibly look special, but this restaurant showed me how. The Taj Exotica likewise ties the metaphorical ribbon around the toilet roll!!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank twoworlds
Dear Guest:

It is always beneficial to learn from our guests where improvement is required, it is however infinitely more pleasant and satifying to read the very complimentary comments you wrote.

Your eye for details and your appreciation for the services that we provide to make your stay more comforfortable are very heartening.

We look forward to you having you stay with us again soon at the resort and assure you of the very best in services, facilities & hospitality in the true Taj tradition, which the Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, Maldives is committed to delivering to all our guests.

Warm Regards
Dir of Sales
Los Angeles
Reviewed September 14, 2009

I'll start by saying that although I have been using Tripadvisor for many years now, I'm ashamed to say that this is my first review. I'm finally finding the time to get around and repay everyone for all the helpful input I have read over the years.

My wife and I finally tied the knot in April 09, and since we love to travel so much, we decided to take two honeymoons. Our first trip was for two weeks, directly after the wedding, first week being spent in Dubai and Muscat (Oman), the second week spent in the Maldives (second honeymoon was a 2-month trip around the world later in the summer, but that's a whole other review). We spent 8 days in the Maldives, and spit these days between the Taj Exotica and the Island Hideaway.

I spent months researching many hotels and resorts throughout the Maldives, reading countless reviews, taking notes, speaking to agents, etc., as I'm sure many do. Ultimately I think I made the best decision. I'll focus on Taj, and leave the my comments about Island Hideaway for another review.

This resort was absolutely AMAZING!!! Likely one of the best and most memorable stays I have ever had in my life (and this includes our trip around the world). The service we received was like none other we have ever experienced. The assistant (or "butler") assigned to us was Hanoo, and he went out of his way to make sure that our every need was addressed.

We stayed two nights in the deluxe lagoon villa with plunge pool, and second two nights in a deluxe beach villa with plunge pool, and we loved both options. Our Lagoon villa did not face Male, so I cannot comment on the previous complaints I have read about this. We were not bothered by the sound of an occasional plane flying overhead as others have also commented on. As a matter of fact, the only reason I noticed them is because I remembered reading about them in other reviews.

Both villas were amazing, although the beach villa was pricier than the lagoon villa. It was great to experience both types of settings however, and we plan on doing the same if we return. The only problem I had with the beach villa is that although very private, occasionally someone will walk across your strip of beach (which could feel intrusive at times). Both still very private however.

The food was very good, but was VERY expensive! Fortunately we had a few meals which were included as part of our honeymoon package, which made it a little easier. I recall at one point spending about $35 on a hamburger! If you drink like I like to drink, make sure to have a lot of room on your credit card! I wish I could give a little more detail about the food, but being that the review is so far out, I have forgotten some of the details on the meals (sorry).

Service again was top notch!! Part of our honeymoon package included a dinner for two at the one of the restaurants, but set up privately on the beachfront. It was too windy that evening and management felt so bad that they could not accommodate, that the following evening our butler Hanoo set up an entire dining experience on a small private section of the beach just for us. He set up the table, candles in the sand, lighting, etc., and drove a buggy back and forth to the restaurant in order to cater to our every need (wine, appetizers, desert). Was very romantic, and at no extra cost to us

We had gotten PADI certified to dive on our honeymoon, so we were able to dive twice at the Taj. This was our first diving experience ever, so not much to compare it to. Dives were amazing however, saw reef sharks, turtles, Napoleon fish, eels, and many other beautiful colorful animals. The team does everything for you, and all you have to do is show up! Was able to dive again in the Red Sea on our second trip, and boy they really spoil you in the Maldives!

We were not huge spa people, so given the prices at the Taj spa, we opted to wait until the last part of our trip try the spa treatments.

In closing, the experience was amazing, and everytime I go back and look through our pictures, I feel a sense of nostalgia which I have not experienced with too many places. Do not expect to party like a rock star, but this will be one of the most romantic experiences of your life. Make sure you save plenty of cash, but also try and take advantage of some of the packages

Cannot wait to go back!!!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank johnabed
Mumbai
Reviewed September 14, 2009

Lovely property... beautiful.....well maintained..great staff.. they go out of their way to ensure u have a good time.. not just help you plan a special occassion but also responsible.. the prompt assistance of the hotel staff to a small medical emergency in the middle of our trip totally impressed us..
Superb food.. one must try each of their restaurants.. buffet was also very good..

• Stayed November 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Emboodhu Finolhu
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Reso...
#1 of 1 in Furanafushi Island
#1 of 1 in Cocoa Island
Gili Lankanfushi Maldives
Gili Lankanfushi Maldives
#1 of 1 in Lankanfushi

Been to Taj Exotica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!