“AMAZING! If only there were 6 stars to give!!!”

Taj Exotica Resort & Spa
Brisbane, Australia
“AMAZING! If only there were 6 stars to give!!!”
Reviewed December 11, 2013

We recently stayed at the Taj for our honeymoon and could not fault it. As a honeymoon destination it was exactly what you are looking for picture perfect delicious food and guest services that a price can never match. We originally were disappointed in missing the room we wanted and ended up in a overwater villa close to the shore (room 115). From the time we landed we were so tired and after picking up our bags and finding the people to take us to the resort, the incredible service began. With a quick 20 minute trip the Island by Boat, we were immediately relaxed. The little details of the trip were all catered for before we knew we needed it.

RESORT: is set out perfectly on one of the best lagoons, fish everywhere and well groomed gardens with not a leaf out of place. The Island is beautiful facing east and west. Surrounded by white sand and reef. I have to say a huge “thank you” to the staff who went out of their way, not only for our honeymoon but also for my wife’s birthday. When we hopped off the boat the management were there to great us and made us instantly feel at home and very special.
We also loved the library and amount of water available to drink. Even if you choose a sun bed on the beach, someone from the resort will find you and provide towels, water and sometimes gelato.

Our butler and the pool staff were also provided service above and beyond what I expected. Great bars and live music.

ROOMS: as I said we had an over water villa close to the beach which was not what I was expecting. Being the cheaper option and all that was available it was more than enough. The quality of the beds and linen through to the toiletries were so nice it was hard to part from them. The room also had great access to the water and easy to swim off. The coffee machine and surround sound , air-con and one way glass are just some of the great features. The only negative is don’t get a room under 115 as the sound from the live music will be annoying.

RESTAURANT: We were also concerned that we could only eat at one place included in the package, but this was soon expelled. After arriving for dinner on the beach we were once again blown away. The food selection and was huge and of the highest quality, pretty much if you are looking for something in particularly, they will have it. All you can eat is amazing and worth trying something new every time. The only disappointing thing I didn’t agree with is charging for water, it is also good to note that if you pay for 5 nights and stay 7 night, the other 2 night are not covered by package. Saying this was more our agents fault as they said we had meals every night. The staff were very considerate! Go for the room service or fish cooked from fishing trip.

ACTIVITIES: I am very active and love to experience adventure. Another great feature of the resort is the free activities shark feeding, sailing, snorkeling , swimming and of course relaxing. We chose the day trip to local islands, which was great but beware the souvenirs are expensive. This trip was worth the money with multiple stop offs on other islands and snorkeling. The evening fishing trip was also great, allowing you to eat the catch the next night. Some of the water activities are expensive but if you haven’t done them before they can be fun.

Summing up, this is a fantastic and beautiful destination; the service is some of the best service I have experienced in the world. Seriously I can not wait to go back anything under 5 days is going to leave you seriously wanting more...

Room Tip: If you go a lagoon villa, request 115 or over. Be awear you will have to pay for water with dinner...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sunnydayz4053
Ranjit P, General Manager at Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 13, 2013

Greetings from Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, Maldives.

We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your honeymoon at our resort especially the food and service. I have shared your feedback with the entire team at the resort who are happy to have received the same.

You would be pleased to know that very recently the Jiva Grande Spa won the ‘Favourite Hotel Spa Overseas’ in the recently concluded 3rd annual Conde Nast Traveller India Readers' Travel Awards 2013 and also the resort won the ‘Best in Asia and Pacific Award’ in the recently concluded Leading Hotels of the World Annual Convention which was held in New York USA.

We look forward to welcoming you back at our island paradise for another memorable experience sometime soon.

Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, Maldives

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed December 10, 2013

The property is really beautifully. Their lagoon is the largest amongst all resorts in Maldives. The only drawback being they dont have house reefs. But, their are trying to grow as well as have snorkelling and diving trips 2-3 times in a day.

The coral garden where they take you is really beautiful. We saw loadsa fish and coloured corals and the Clown Fish (Nemo) as well.

The staff there is extremely welcoming and they will make all efforts to make your stay comfortable and pleasant. They have a butler for each room and he makes sure you have the best stay.

The food in the resort is amazing. And the chef makes you anything you want to have when you are away from home even if its not on the menu.

Their infinity pool is one of the best I have seen.

They have many activities to keep you busy like different water sports (staff at the dive centre is very friendly), Shark and Sting Ray Feeding, Dinners in different locations on the island (Ocean Pavilion being the best).

The rooms are beautiful and each one is unique in its own way(view from the rooms is beauitful). The amenities are excellent (Molton Brown being their toiletries brand).

The price is little steep but so is Maldives. You can ignore that fact considering the value you get out of the money spent.

We had gone there for our 1st Wedding Anniversary. They made our anniversary really special. They decorated our room, sent champagne and cake in the room and moreover most staff wished us in the morning (showing how well informed they keep their staff about their guests)

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SmritiBajajGupta

Greetings from Sunny Maldives.

We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your 1st Anniversary celebration at our resort. I have shared your feedback with the entire team at the resort who are happy to have received the same.

We look forward to welcoming you back at Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, Maldives for another relaxing holiday.

Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed December 10, 2013

This Hotel has one of the best experiences to offer for any get away trip. Private butler a call away, courteous staff, superb spa, great amenities in-room and in the resort. Being vegetarians, we sampled the tastiest food from Japanese to Mexican cuisine. Middle eastern and Asian food here is outstanding!

Room Tip: Take the Lagoon Villa with plunge pool!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Ranjit P, General Manager at Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 11, 2013

Greetings from Sunny Maldives.

We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay at our resort especially the food even as vegetarians. I have shared your feedback with the entire team at the resort who are happy to have received the same.

Reviewed December 9, 2013

Well where can I begin is a hard decision, can just go from start to finish. Went there with my wife for our anniversary on 27th November, and stayed there for 4 nights. There was something special right from the time we stepped on to the transfer boat till we checked out and back to the airport. There was attention given to every small detail, for e.g. even the refreshing paper towels were from bvlgari and had its unique fragrance. Anyways check in was super fast and all details were given to us by our butler Ayath, who gave us a tour of the hotel before we entered our room. The lagoon villas are amazing, spacious, but the decks had a little old/faded mattresses which could be ignored considering being kept outside permanently. We were greeted with a champagne at the reception, along with another bottle in our room and one of the best chocolate cakes I have eaten. Minibar was quite expensive, and the aux cable in the music system was defective with only one set of speakers working. We were put in villa 421, with a fantastic view of the lagoon, also spotted a lot of sting rays while snorkelling this side. The first day was spent just relaxing and exploring the property, which isn't all that big. We booked ourselves for the photoshoot the next morning, (which is slightly cheaper compared to other hotels such as Vellasuru). Meals were eaten at 24 degrees, we were mostly greeted by Cindy, I cant recommend any particular kind of food as everything was up to perfection and we were never disappointed, special thanks to chef Shiroy (had the chance to go diving with him). The best thing about Taj was they get very very personal, and make sure you are wanted as a guest. Evenings were spent on the beach, with sting ray feeding and shark feeding. The private dining options are VERY expensive compared to other hotels, which offer it at under 300$. The starting price of the Taj private dining was 480 I believe. Personally we preferred the food and ambience at 24 degrees vs Deepend. I believe they can do more with deep end (we ordered a degustation menu at deep end - beware of the portions - they are quite big so think twice before ordering anything else along with it). The sides - pasta and risotto are probably the best I have eaten. Equator bar has some good kebabs and a unique sangria that we really enjoyed - along with some hukka. We ate by the poolside on the last day - perfect pizza was served. Also Samil gave us a dessert which said "we will miss you" on our last night. Thats where Taj is different from the others because none of our friends staying at other hotels enjoyed this personal touch. I have stayed at hotels all over the world, but this being one of the most expensive spends, i still think it was the most worthwhile. My wife actually cried on the last day because she couldn't believe such a beautiful country existed in this world. For those who want to dive, i found the sites pretty OK, the sites on the west side of Maldives (near W) are a lot better with some huge whale sharks. For the spa the Indian aromatherapy massage was amazing and the tea they serve is even better. Well apart from all the amazing things I have shared, with pros there are cons too: 1. Paying 1200$/night, the rooms werent equipped with the latest hardware. The features in the room seemed to be the same as any 5 star built around 10 years ago. In particular i didn't appreciate the curtains that din't completely darken the room, as I am used to sleeping in a completely dark room. The sea plane noise coming from planes passing above can get annoying sometimes, specially during a lazy calm silent afternoon. 2. In today's time internet really doesnt cost anything, most hotels I checked up were offering it complimentary but Taj was charging USD 24 for the day. 3. Basic water (same as that served free in the room and the beach) is charged at USD 5 at the restaurants, which i find quite funny as that can't really make the F&B profitable. The best of all - Raw onion slices, when ordered at Equator bar along with Kebabs (though it came when the Kebabs were almost over) - came for free. When we ordered Chicken Tikka the next day at 24 degrees - it came without any onion (dear chef - if you happen to eat kebabs in a restaurant anywhere in india whether it is peshawari at sheraton or a dhaaba roadside - onion and mint chutney come along without saying). So well when we ordered onion, we were told it costs 8$ + tax (come on you cant be serious that the rise in onion prices is responsible for this). The minibar also seemed like a rip off. 9$ for an orange juice... phew. 4. Well some guest from Lebanon who was diving with me was not really happy because he used the emergency jacket for his wife for snorkelling - because it wasnt told to him that it is supposed to be used only in cases of emergency. Later he complained his butler said it costs 200$, and he should have read the instructions - well i think going to a resort in the middle of the sea is reason enough some guest would think the jacket is for snorkelling, and if the butler didn't tell him, its not his fault - he shouldnt be asked to pay - that too 200$. I would go with the fact that it was the butlers fault. But nothing is perfect and overall, the experience was almost perfect. Special thanks to Mr Subramanium, Harsh, our butler Ayath, our photographer (had a wonderful photoshoot), Samil and Niju (samil was the most warm server I have met really), Bala, Siddharth (he really hunted the entire island when i complained my watch was missing), Cindy, Robin Noah and Faris (for my dives) and everyone who made our stay memorable and wonderful. Have recommended this hotel to all near and dear ones, don't miss it for the world.

1 Thank Karan N
Ranjit P, General Manager at Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 14, 2013

Greetings from Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, Maldives.

It gives us great pleasure in reading your wonderful review post your recent stay with us. We are extremely happy that you enjoyed celebrating your anniversary with us. I have shared your feedback with Ayath, Cindy, Sheroy, Shamil, Hari Subramanium, Harsh, Niju, Bala, Siddharth, Robyn, Noah, Faris and the entire team at the resort who are happy to have received the same.

Regarding your feedback on private dinners, our prices for the same are very competitive within the luxury market and are based on the elaborate customized set up, menus and also the fact that a dedicated butler takes care of the entire event.

The side dishes are included in the price with certain menu items but charged extra with others. Based on your feedback we will revisit where the side dishes can be included with the main course.

Also for completely black out curtains for the villa I have taken the same up with our Executive Housekeeper who will take into consideration the same during our next round of soft refurbishment.

The WIFI connection at the resort, is currently a third party service, we will however definitely raise your feedback to our Corporate Office. Taj Exotica Resort & Spa being part of a chain of hotels, this decision will be implemented companywide to ensure consistency across all Taj hotels, resorts across the world. You will be pleased to note though that we are doing some pilot tests in some of our properties and looking at offering this facility complimentary to our guests in the not too distant future.

We look forward to welcoming you back at our island paradise for another memorable holiday.

Kolkata (Calcutta), India
Reviewed December 9, 2013

I had to write this review cause after reading about many hotels i decided to visit the taj exotica. The island is small and you can walk the island in flat 10 mins.

The Good:
Excellent service
Very efficient housekeeping
Special mention for Raj who served us at the main restaurant.
Clear water
Artificial reef is laid and should be exciting for the first timers but for serious reef seekers this is not the place.
Plenty of drinking water available for free except in the restaurants.
They keep good track of your pleasure.
A lot of Indian staff yet they had a mix for other tourists also.
The free snorkeling equipment is in excellent condition and is readily available
Nice food. Options are available for Vegetarians (not much but still)
The music played live was good and enjoyable

The bad:
We had the butler service and our butler was Mousim, who was never to be found
Any details which we wanted to know we had to make efforts to call him as he was always "attending other guests"
The tours and other activities are expensive
The free stuff like the non motor sports equipment is available but nobody is their to guide you on how to use it and if you want help it is paid.
We had some additions to our package and in order to get them we had to strive as the management did not voluntarily disclose that to us ( though they had the itinerary)
They will push you for the private dinner which is trust me very expensive. You can get the same feel in the main restaurant.

In short: great for a single and first time visit. Go for the lagoon villas if gong as a couple. The villa with pool is on the tarmac and it is in the opposite end of the main restaurant. Privacy over the lagoon villa is difficult as the villa is a single hut divided in 2 rooms.

Room Tip: Lagoon villa with pool for couples and any beach villa for family
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Jas S

Greetings from Sunny Maldives.

We would like to thank you for your review post your stay in October 2013. We are very happy to read that you enjoyed your honeymoon at our resort. I have shared your feedback with Raj and the entire team at the resort.

However, we are extremely perturbed to read that some of the services were not upto your expectations and I would like to sincerely apologize for the disappointment. As I was away from the island on a business trip, upon my return I have personally taken the matter up with our Butler Manager, who has addressed the same with his team to ensure that such errors do not occur in the future.

All the entitlements are informed to the guests through the package letter that is given on arrival which can be referred to at any time for all the inclusions in your package.

You would be happy to know that Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, Maldives is based on the Emboodhu Channel which has some fantastic diving and snorkeling sites within the range of 25 kilometers. We have also aggressively started our coral rejuvenation programme where in we are planting coral trays to attract more marine life into our lagoon. Coral propagation is an important part of the effort to increase the biodiversity of the reefs. We currently have 36 frames and are hoping to increase them to many more as they will also attract several new species including Hawksbill Turtle, juvenile Napoleon Wrasse and Moray Eels.

Once again I apologize for the inconvenience caused and hope to welcome you back at Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, Maldives for a memorable holiday.

New York City, New York
Reviewed December 8, 2013

This hotel didn't have the level of service I expected from a 5 star hotel in the Maldives which was rated number one in Asia in Travel and Leisure. It's no different from any typical 5 star hotel in the States. We had a "personal butler" for our 5 day stay but we only spoke with him 2x during our stay. I didn't see the point of appointing this person since we just called the front desk every time we needed something, all he did was check us in. Some workers will cross your path and not acknowledge you, one even cut us off w/ a golf cart and didn't think anything of it.

There were a couple of outstanding employees but some just seemed a little indifferent. Hammahd and Dombe stood out because you can tell they really love what they do. We also did a 9pm seating with the chef for Thai food and he was friendly and his food was amazing, was definitely a great experience. Some people at reception were very friendly and always remembered our names which was nice.

Parts of the hotel's structure were falling apart, pieces of wood from the siding were floating in front of our villa along w/ a toilet seat that fell off of a rubbish boat to Rubbish Island. The roof on our villa also looked like it was coming off. After a few days, we'd notice garbage and debris floating around the beach area by the pool. It struck us that the waiters and groundskeepers would ignore the garbage even though it's in plain sight - really very surprising. One day I noticed a water bottle floating on the beach by the edge of the pool and after 3 hours, it was still there.

Also, most 5 star resorts offer some complimentary items from the mini bar, like some beer and soda but this hotel nickel and dimes for everything. $9 for Tiger beer is unheard of. I understand that they have to ship everything to the island but this beer is 25 cents at any corner market in Thailand. Just because a hotel is 5 star, it doesn't mean they can gouge their clients b/c there's nowhere else to go for food since it's an island.

We're very surprised that this hotel is number one Asia and the Maldives, maybe our expectations were just too high. We stayed at Rayavadee in Krabi, Thailand just before our trip to the Maldives and we felt like royalty. It was a true 5 star experience in every sense. We loved the Maldives and agree that it is paradise on earth, it's on par with Bora Bora, but all in all, we would not stay at Taj Exotica again.

4 Thank Jena1272

Greetings from Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, Maldives.

We would like to thank you for your review post your stay last month. I have shared your positive feedback with Hammadh, Dombe and the entire team at the resort who join me in thanking you for the same.

However, we are extremely perturbed to read that some of the services were not upto your expectations and I would like to sincerely apologize for the disappointment. As I was away from the island on a business trip, upon my return I have personally taken the matter up with our Butler Manager, who along with our Training Manager have put into action an extensive re-training schedule for the associates to ensure that such errors do not occur in the future.

I have also addressed the matter of floating debris with our Executive Housekeeper who has increased the patrolling of the garden cleaners. I can assure you that this is a one off case where you would have noticed the debris, as is privy from the many other reviewers who have commended the resort regarding the island maintenance and cleanliness.

Once again please accept my sincere apologies and we hope to have the chance of welcoming you back at our island paradise to experience the true Taj hospitality.

Beccles, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 3, 2013

We have recently returned from our 6th stay at the Taj and it just gets better! The island has become our second home. Many of the staff have been there a while which gives a lovely feeling of consistancy for returning guests. Indeed several of the staff are like old friends now. The service and food are outstanding...we know we will not be disappointed and this is what brings us back each time. Naturally, having been here several times I wouldn't have expected there to be anything that could surprise me, however, our lovely butler Shamix arranged a surprise dinner for us on the pavilion that stands in the middle of the lagoon and is reached by a small speedboat. I can honestly say it was the best surprise I have ever had and one of the best experiences of my life. It was surreal being left in the middle of the ocean listening to the waves lapping around. Each course was delivered by boat and was absolutely delicious. I will never forget such a fabulous evening as long as I live! As if that wasn't enough, two days later when we arrived for breakfast we were shown to the wedding pavilion where Shamix had set up a private breakfast for us as a surprise. Again, this was wonderful. I think it is the attention to detail and the willingness of the staff to go out of their way to make you feel special that makes this such an amazing place to stay. Shamel and his team at The Deep End, Cindy and her team at 24 degrees, Ahmad(the bed decoration was beatiful!) Ruby and especially Shamix, thank you all for another fabulous holiday and we hope to see you next year.

1 Thank TLH51
Ranjit P, General Manager at Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 3, 2013

Greetings from Sunny Maldives.

It was a great pleasure welcoming you back and having you stay at your Maldivian home. We are extremely delighted to read that you enjoyed your holiday with us and were pleasantly surprised with the special arrangements made by your butler Shamix. I have shared your feedback with Shamix, Shamil, Cindy, Ahmed, Ruby and the entire team at the resort who very happy to have received the same.

We all eagerly await your return at Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, Maldives and hope to see you soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Emboodhu Finolhu
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Reso...
#1 of 1 in Furanafushi Island
Anantara Veli Maldives Resort
COMO Cocoa Island
COMO Cocoa Island
#1 of 1 in Cocoa Island

Been to Taj Exotica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!