“I am guessing this is how heaven must be!!!”

Taj Exotica Resort & Spa
Reviewed July 9, 2013

After a 15 minute speed boat ride, we (my husband and I) arrive on to this tiny island and as soon as we set foot we heard the drum roll (well, its local musicians playing to welcome the guests). Following the drum roll (yes, I felt that way, so I am gonna call it that) we were addressed by our names and ushered into the hotel lobby. But that’s not before making us feel slightly celebrity ish with all the welcome photos that the hotel staff took. After being pampered we were taken into our deluxe lagoon villa by our very own butler, who btw is at your service at the flick of your finger.
The villa is small and cozy and the experience of waking up to vast expanse of the Indian ocean within the reach of your hand is just breathtaking. Our patio consisted of a very personal private infinity pool day beds, sun loungers and a ladder that led us directly into the lagoon.
I am sure all of you here can get more technical details on the rooms and facilities from websites and forums, but here is my two bit on what we felt.
It felt special to be at the Taj exotica!! It’s the small things like being addressed by our names, the presence of hammocks and swings across the property, the value placed on our privacy, the sung surrounding that is created by the restaurant and bar, the speed boat ride that was scheduled at an odd hour just for us after 5 hours of our official check out with no fuss and no cost, the presence of an in-house photographer who takes scores of couple portraits and hands them to you at cost (this is not cheap, but ladies get your gowns and your make up. The memories and sceneries are worth being digitized) … all in all the human touch that was involved in every experience.
Maldives is a paradise and most hotels would provide more less the same kind of rooms, surroundings and the same ocean. So it’s the above said human touches that make a difference and only Taj did!! unlike the other resort we stayed during the same trip. In this other resort we stayed at a fantastic ocean suite but did I feel special?? did I feel heavenly?? Not really.
The country is a paradise for sure… but we felt our heaven here at Taj Exotica

Room Tip: Deluxe Lagoon villa... its just awesome to have your own pool and the ocean as your backyard
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Ranjit P, General Manager at Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Dear Guest,

Greetings from Sunny Maldives.

It gives us great pleasure to read your wonderful review post your recent stay with us. I have shared your feedback with the entire team especially your appreciation for the service rendered by them. They too are very happy to have received the same.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon at Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, Maldives for another holiday of pampering and relaxing.

Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, Maldives

Write a ReviewReviews (1,362)

Reviewed June 25, 2013

My first impression of Taj Exotica Resort was not very good. Because of the unfriendly behavior of the only Chinese butler on island. She asked me whether I was Mr. Wang or Mr. Zhu. After knowing I am Mr. Zhu not Mr. Wang, she suddenly turned back, ignored me and spoke to Mr. Wang. And she also asked us to wait in the lobby for check-in while she led Mr. Wang to the room and checked in there.
I stepped on a small piece of broken glass on the floor in the room, fortunately I didn't get hurt. And the back yard of the room was not very clean at the time I arrived. There was big ants in the bath room. I killed some. But the housekeeping didn't clean all the dead body of the ants. I still found one in the bath room the next day.
The staff of the restaurant confused our dishes with another table and served wrong dishes on the first dinner we had on the island.

However, there did be some positive experience:
Most of the staffs are friendly and helpful. They help me found my sunglass cover I lost somewhere in the island. They help me printed my boarding pass in the library.
The staff, the manager of the restaurant made sincerely apologize to us for the wrong dishes and we did understand the mistake was because there was so many people in the restaurant that night.
The experience when checked out was very good, although we didn't want to see the Chinese butler again.

Suggestion:
Offer hot towels and beverages to Chinese people in cold raining days at the check-in stage.
Use modern ordering system in the restaurant to avoid mistakes.
Offer free wifi in the room. At least some free hours per day.

1  Thank tianleo
Ranjit P, General Manager at Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

Greetings from Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, Maldives.

We would like to thank you for taking some of your time to post your review following your recent stay with us. We would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused to you due to certain aspects of your stay. I have shared your feedback with our Front Office Manager, Executive Assistant Manager Food and Beverage, and Executive Housekeeper who have taken the necessary corrective measures to avoid the same incident to re-occur in the future.

We would like to thank you for your suggestions and we will look at the possibility of putting it into our process.

We do offer free internet in our library where our guests can log in free of charge for an hour per day. I would like to share with you that as a company we are doing some pilot tests in some hotels of ours and we are pursuing the option of offering complimentary WIFI. We should be implementing the same very soon at our resort as well.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our island paradise for a memorable holiday.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

This was our eighth visit to Taj Exotica. This one ended up being longer than we had planned as w left another resort early. ( see other review) . After a bad experience, the staff at Exotica saved the day.I have said before, there are lots of beautiful islands and resorts, the staff make the difference. A number of the staff we have come to know quite well over many years, almost like family and we really enjoy catching up again. The usual suspects were fantastic again, there cannot be high enough praise for their efforts and consistency. In my usual style of being brutally honest, there was one issue with one staff member, however this was dealt with professionally , quietly and with little fuss. I don't want five minutes to detract from the whole experience. Again , special thanks to Ahmed, Chef Sheroy and Chef Francis, Farhaad, Bala, Ruby,Cindy,Salah, Shamil, Matheem, Niju and Anthony. It is a shame to only mention a few, but these guys (and girls) do a fantastic job and if managements everywhere modeled their service on these guys they would go a long way!
Can't finish without mentioning the food again....worth the trip just for that.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Greetings from Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, Maldives.

It gives us great pleasure to read that you loved your eighth stay with us and that the food and service at the resort met and exceeded your expectations. Your kind words and appreciations have been shared with Ahmed, Chef Sheroy, Chef Francis, Farhaad, Bala, Ruby, Cindy, Salah, Shamil, Matheem, Niju, Anthony as well as the rest of the team and they appreciate the same. Its feedback such as yours that inspires the team and me to constantly strive for excellence and to ensure that our guests leave the island with fond memories.

We are all looking forward to your next visit to your home in Maldives, Taj Exotica Resort & Spa for another memorable and relaxing holiday.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

The Maldives are beautiful, there is no way around it. A hammock on the beach on any of these islands and I think most people would be happy, so the hotels already have an advantage. Really it should be their goal to not detract from your holiday, ie not mess up or meet the minimum standards. Sadly to say lots of destination hotels follow this formula, but the Taj Exotica is certainly not one of them.

Let me say that the F&B program, and it really is a program at this resort, is possibly the best in the world for a resort. I do not say that lightly. In the middle of the Indian ocean we feasted like kings on food as varied as Mexican, wood fired pizzas, sushi, Indian food, Maldivian food, classic and modern French, not to mention some great all around mediterranean food and a breakfast menu that was something like 12 pages long.

For a resort that only has 60 villas, this place went over the top to make sure that EVERY taste is catered for, and not just by putting it on the menu, but by nailing it. Just really, really stellar food. I was in shock at how good the food was.

The property itself was incredible, with a huge lagoon and endless places to sit in private and soak in the Maldives. Close-by was fantastic snorkeling and diving, which doesn't always go hand in hand with large lagoons, but was in abundance here. The only downside to the resort really is that eventually you have to leave.

I am a Taj convert. I must say I will make it a point to try another one of their hotels or resorts somewhere else because this really blew me away.

Keep it up Taj! and thank you for an amazing honeymoon!!!

Room Tip: The villas on stilts over the water are great, but not as private as the beach villas. I would pers...

Greetings from Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, Maldives.

It gives us a great pleasure to read your glowing review following your recent stay with us. We are delighted that our Culinary team has impressed and pampered you with their culinary repertoire. I have shared your feedback to the entire team and I am certain this will serve as a source of inspiration for us in achieving higher standards of excellence.

We are all looking forward to welcoming you back to our island paradise in the not too distant future for another memorable and relaxing holiday.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

The resort is extremely beautiful in terms of the villas, its surroundings and its ambience. This is a must visit place. The staff is very friendly and is ever helping without making a face. They cater to your every need and in quick time to. There is nothing negative about this place at all.

Room Tip: The on the water villa is really good. I stayed in room 420. Fabulous and amazing viewes.

Greetings from Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, Maldives.

It gives us a great pleasure to read your lovely review following your recent stay with us. We are delighted to learn how much you enjoyed your stay and our team took very well care of you during your stay. I have shared your feedback to the entire team and they too are very happy to have received the same.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

It was our first Maldives holiday. Obviously before I go I was thinking that' there are similar places
in my country and there is no need to go to place like that. But when I arrived, I realised that it was different, the weather was perfect, it wasn't cool, it wasn't too hot and the sea temperature was perfect. The creatures in this ocean were amazing. And let's come to the hotel. Obviously I am a world traveller and have stayed in lot's of luxury hotels in different parts of the world. And even we didn't stayed in the most expensive room, but it was the best room I ever stayed. The service was also perfect, the staff was so kind and friendly. The only thing which was week in the hotel was the foods, was so expensive and also in all the restaurants they were serving very similar menu. I wrote this to management and they came back to me very nicely and promised that they will look after that and at our next trip we will find different menus. So I suggest you to go there.:)

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Greetings from Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, Maldives.

It gives us a great pleasure to read your lovely review following your recent stay with us. We are delighted to learn how much you enjoyed your stay with us. I have shared your feedback to the entire team at the resort and they too are happy to have received the same.

Reviewed June 8, 2013

My husband and I are experienced Maldives travelers and can say with the hand in our hearts that Taj is a great property to visit - i have always been a big fan of the water villas but Taj has one of the nicest beach villas i have seen so far - spacious literally in the water and combines luxury with the true Maldivian style which i can say many hotels have forgotten about
the Lagoon around the resort is probably one of the top 3 best in the Maldives so as the fine Dining restaurant deep end - It deserves more than 5 starts - Although our stay was of 3 days only it was hard to leave the resort - the Staff made every single moment truly special and we will highlight recommend to friends

Room Tip: Try the one bedroom beach villa
1  Thank cecidxb
Ranjit P, General Manager at Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2013

Greetings from Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, Maldives.

It gives us great pleasure to read that you loved your stay at our resort and enjoyed swim in one of the largest lagoons in the whole of Maldives from the privacy of your very own beach villa. I have shared your feedback with the entire team at the resort who are very happy to have received the same.

We look forward to welcoming you back at our island paradise for another relaxing holiday.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Emboodhu Finolhu
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Reso...
#1 of 1 in Furanafushi Island
#1 of 1 in Velassaru Island
COMO Cocoa Island
COMO Cocoa Island
#1 of 1 in Cocoa Island

Been to Taj Exotica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!