We have just come back from ten wonderful days at the Taj, staying in one of their deluxe lagoon villas. This hotel and the island it occupies are truly picture postcard Maldives. The accommodation is first rate, the food is diverse and always very good and the staff are attentive, friendly and very welcoming.
We ate mostly at the main restaurant, 24 Degrees. Breakfast here, overlooking the Indian Ocean was a fantastic way to start the day. The breakfast menu (no buffets here!) is extensive and definitely worth sampling. Dinners under the star-filled skies are also a culinary delight. Tip - if you like curry then try their Maldivian Yellow-Fin Tuna Curry, it's seriously good!
We ate once at the Deep End restaurant and enjoyed a seven course spectacular that could have been straight from a top class London restaurant. We also enjoyed watching the chef prepare our food at the Teppanyaki kitchen, truly a master at work.
On our last night our butler Hamdhi served us a special dinner at the Wedding Pavilion for our 10th wedding anniversary. The pavilion was wonderfully decorated and lit and the champagne went down a treat.
We visited the over-water spa early on during our stay. It was an amazing experience and the staff there are extremely skilled - you come out feeling like a completely different person! The treatments were wonderful and the massages were exceptional - so good that we just had to go back before we left.
The island sits in its own lagoon so there isn't much coral reef near to the hotel, although they are running their own conservation program and are growing their own coral reef on structures that they sink into the lagoon. Having said that, the marine life in the lagoon is abundant and varied. One morning we looked out of the large picture window in our villa's bathroom and saw a giant Eagle Ray emerge from beneath the villa and swim off into the distance as though it were flying through the water. There aren't many places on earth where one can see that!
They also run daily snorkeling trips out to nearby reefs with Robyn, the island's marine biologist. These trips are well worth doing. I went twice, to Coral Gardens and North Bank and on both trips I saw Hawksbill Turtles feeding off the reef. The coral reef here also looks really healthy with abundant marine life.
We have stayed at resorts similar to the Taj all over the World but this island resort definitely tops the list. We will definitely be returning for another long stay. If you are looking for the perfect five start luxury resort then you would be hard pushed to find anywhere better. The attention to detail is second to none and the staff are really what make the Taj a cut above the rest.
Special thanks must go to Ruby, who enthusiastically welcomed us to the resort, Anthony and Suwaib who looked after us so wonderfully at 24 Degrees and the staff who so expertly pampered us at the spa.
But our stay really wouldn't have been the same without Hamdhi, our butler and fixer. He took care of all of our wishes and arrangements during our stay. Nothing was too much trouble and he was never more than a phone call away. Even on our last day when our villa key stopped working and we got locked out, Hamdhi was there to the rescue in his golf buggy in ten minutes flat.
Lastly, you arrive at the Taj as guests but when you leave you feel as though you are saying goodbye to friends.
Thanks for making our stay so memorable!
Christine and Nick.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Award-winning resort is a sublime fusion of luxury and nature. Nestled amidst one of the largest lagoons in the Maldives. Accommodation is a choice between villas built entirely over water and beach villas. Pan Asian. World Progressive. In villa dining. Interactive dining. Or a romantic dinner for two under the stars... Dining is a culinary adventure. The acclaimed Jiva Grande Spa provides an extensive range of holistic treatments in the over water treatment rooms. Welcome to an island sanctuary where luxury and landscape merge to create a living experience that is one with nature. Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, Maldives is located on the exotic Emboodhu Finolhu Island, in the middle of one of the largest natural lagoons in the world. This tropical isle, once known as the 'Three Coconut Island,' ornamented with pale white sand and crystal blue waters is lush with tropical flora. The resort is only 15 minutes by luxury speedboat, available 24 hours, from Malé International Airport. The award-winning resort seamlessly extends the magic of the island's blessed natural beauty in its design even as it offers the finest in contemporary amenities and services. Luxuriously appointed villas and suites, private plunge pools and personal sundecks with endless views of the Indian Ocean, make this the perfect setting for a private retreat. Our Jiva Grande Spa, an authentic Indian spa, offers a range of ignature wellness experiences. A choice of bespoke dining experiences, water sports, and recreation options make for a complete and exclusive estination holiday. Taj Exotica Resort and Spa, Maldives, has been voted the Best Resort in Asia and the Second Best in the World.* ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Agoda, TravelUp, Hotwire, Cancelon, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Taj Exotica Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Taj Exotica Hotel Emboodhu Finolhu
- Taj Exotica Resort And Spa
- Taj Exotica Maldives
- Taj Exotica Resort All Inclusive
- Taj Exotica Resort & Spa Maldives/Emboodhu Finolhu