“Overcomplicated food?”
Review of The Tannery

The Tannery
Ranked #1 of 4 Restaurants in Moira
Good for: Business meetings, Bar scene, Large groups, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Situated on the outskirts of Moira village Co. Armagh, The Tannery Bar, Bistro & Chop House is growing its reputation to match that of its already very well established sister restaurants The Plough Inn Hillsborough and The Pheasant Annahilt. Opened in November 2009 as the newest addition to the Patterson Family Portfolio The Tannery has become a vibrant and dynamic arena for delicious food specialising in the finest local cuts of steak (along with some specials from around the world) with great hospitality & service. We cater for all types of functions, including Weddings, with a large selection of menus available to suit all budgets.
Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

We arrived on Sunday evening shortly before 6pm. We were told it would be a 40 minute wait for a table but when a staff member noticed my crutch he offered to seat us downstairs in the bar. It was only about 15 minutes before our order was taken in the end.

Overall the food was ok. Steaks were cooked about right but my pepper sauce was gloopy and oily and wasn't very peppery. The fries were soggy and the tobacco onions were chunky and very salty, nothing like any tobacco onions I've had before. My mum ordered duck which was meant to come with colcannon but instead she got the same cheddar and bacon mash that my husband had with his steak. She reported that the bacon just didn't go with the duck and the lack of sauce made the whole meal very dry.

We also had to wait 10 minutes before we were given steak knives which wasn't ideal.

The desserts were just ok. The creme anglaise that was meant to accompany my mum's dessert turned out to be good old Ambrosia. The Oreo cheesecake was rather heavy and stodgy.

I wouldn't be in a hurry to get back! The general feeling from what we ate was that the people at the Tannery are trying to offer overly complicated and possibly pretentious food and perhaps if they took a step back towards the basics the quality would be much better. The menu was quite expansive and could probably be scaled back without being detrimental.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

This was my first time here and I was impressed with the food. The chicken pesto dish was beautiful and I can't wait to go back and try the salmon. They had a great cocktail list, slightly expensive but they cant be expected to compete with the rock bottom cocktail prices in Belfast. I will definitely be back

Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

I paid second visit to Tannery recently. A group of 7 people. The food was as good as previous visit. The tapas style starters plentiful and tasty. The waiter was polite and helpful.

Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

Overall an ok experience but I felt that they could have been much better but were simply resting on their laurels 'we are busy all the time so no extra effort is required'!! Tapas starter was lovely and my steak and partners chicken was ok, plates were too fussy with unnecessary dishes for holding side dishes etc...steak should have been star of show but hidden on plate.
Dessert said it came with roasted pineapple but instead came with strawberries and no mention of substitute when ordering.
When paying bill was given a used comment card and when I mentioned this, no replacement was offered.
Look at small details (dirty menus, lots of staff but noone cleaning dirty glasses from tables in bar, uncomfortable chairs, crockery etc) and focus on food and you may regain the WOW factor

Reviewed August 14, 2013

Arrived here for lunch at 2pm after a debate of where we should eat! The first member of staff we met at the bar, female, was disconnected, had a habit of staring and gave the impression she wished she was anywhere else but serving at the Tannery. Having said that we were served by a senior member of staff who was focused, pleasant and very friendly unlike the frosty girl at the bar. Food was very nice though the prawn wrap on the specials menu was slightly disappointing in that it was served in a marie rose sauce not mentioned on menu, and had mini prawns, just a dressed up prawn cocktail in a wrap, tiger prawns would have been more appealing. The pasta dish was tasty though the chorizo would have been better finely sliced. Good wine and excellent dessert dishes, atmosphere relaxing.