“Cracking time!!”

Penstowe Holiday Park
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Cracking time!!”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Well.... after reading previous reviews I arrived very wary of what I would find... but I was very impressed!
We arrived an hour early and popped in on the off chance to see if we could book in early, greeted by a very friendly receptionist who immediately gave me our keys and talked me through the welcome pack.
On arriving at our accomodation I opened the door and although there was a slight smell from where it had been shut up, after opening the doors & windows this disappeared quickly.
We had 2 leather sofas in the lounge and a very well equipped kitchen, there were games, dvds and books throughout which made it feel homely. my children aged 1&2 loved the twin beds and slept well. they were clean and very comfy. the double bedroom was spacious and very comfortable bed.
The sofa bed in the lounge was a little on the uncomfortable side but then aren't all sofabeds???
We visited the evening entertainment at 6.30 for the Georges disco and was a bit delusioned that all it was was music and disco lights, until about 7.15 when George the dragon arrived for 5 mins and then a lady appeared and played musical bumps with the kids. Then that was it. all over.... shame there was no action songs or dancing. we did not visit the entertainment again.

All in all we had a fantastic weekend away and would recommend it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Alison B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Redruth, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 4, 2013

My partner and I are retired, and decided to treat our family to a short break , using the Sun coupons. We upgraded to have our linen provided, which was just a few pounds extra. On arrival, we were all well impressed with the lovely old manor, which is where the reception is. As the accomodation wasn't quite ready for us, we were allowed to use all the facilities , so we all decided to take advantage of the swimming pool, particularly as we had it all to ourselves! We found the staff extremely friendly and helpful, and the pool and shower areas were spotlessly clean. Once we got to our accomodation, which was a Woodford Lodge, we were delighted to find that also to be spotlessly clean, even if it is a little basic. It suited our needs perfectly, as there were eight of us, with ages ranging from 62, down to 4 yrs old! The lodge was well equipped, with plenty of heaters, which proved handy as the temperature tended to drop in the evenings. We used the camp mainly as a base, and spent most of our time out visiting local beauty spots, but we occasionally did have an evening meal in the main house, which we all agreed were excellent! The lasagne is to be especially recommended, and even the childs meal boasted home made fish fingers, which were delicious and substantial. We all found the food portions to be very generous, even satisfying the 3 males of the party with extremely healthy appetites! All in all, we had a brilliant short break, in a beautiful part of the county, and all for a very competitive price. Penstowe park is a great place to stay, pretty location, good accomodation, and friendly and helpful staff at all times. We would be happy to recommend Penstowe park to anyone

3 Thank AnneTrengove
Bracknell, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 27, 2013

My bungalow was perfect, there were toiletries and towels already in the bungalow plus there was a stack of dvds and music and this felt like a proper house when we arrived! Pools were amazing and the entertainment was xcellent! I loved the arcades too! The food there was lovely. I'd recommend this place. Stay in one of these bungalows. They are absoloutely amazing and you'd get a lot out of them. I loved this holiday park and there is only one problem, no convinenice store but the problem was easily solved thanks to one being nearby! Staff made you feel welcome. You'll love it here. I certainly did.
Wish we took photos... We forgot :-(

Room Tip: Book the bungalow for a brilliant holiday!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank melissal554
Nuneaton
Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at this park for a long weekend on 12th April. At the last minute we decided to take our little dog so I called to change the booking. I totally appreciate the reason they would need to make sure that we were in a chalet that accepted dogs and was perfectly willing to pay the £25 for the dog but why charge me another £25 to change the booking???

In allowing you to take your dog to the park the owners make it quite difficult for you to enjoy the facilities. You can't take dogs into any of the facilities in the manor house and you can't under any circumstances leave them on their own in the chalet. So there was no other choice than to go elsewhere. It's the first time I've ever taken a dog on holiday and doubt if I will again having been treated like a leper at this park.

The park wasn't exactly buzzing with life so I would have thought the owners would have been glad of any business they could get.

I have to say that the chalet was clean when we arrived but there was an overpowering smell of damp. There was a coin meter for the electricity and because it was pretty cold that weekend and the only heat was electric wall heaters plus electric fan heaters and the only means of heating water was an electric emersion heater it was a bit costly keeping warm to say the least.

There was an independently owned pub on the park and on the last night we discovered they allowed well behaved dogs in. Thank goodness that the landlord there wasn't as short sighted as the owner of the manor. I'd recommend that the pub is visited if you are on the park. The landlord was really friendly and made us feel really welcome.

A good base for Bude, Boscastle and Clovelley etc I would however recommend that you try and book directly with chalet owners as opposed to going through the park owners.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Janette B
Crawley, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Me and some friends and family have just returned from a excellent weekend away.

Stayed in Manor apartment 2, lovely accommodation, clean, spacious, great value for money.

Spent 2 night spent in the Manor club and found the entertainment great Les was a legend!
Also had a very tasty family meal in the restaurant, great food, BIG portions, staff couldn't be anymore helpful. Pete the chef also was really friendly and made us felt very welcome.

Good onsite facilities, nice big swimming pool and good sports facilities.

Will return in 2014 for sure!! 10/10

5 Thank Louise M
somerset uk
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Just got back from having a sun holiday at penstowe. Lovely place, yes quite but end of easter holidays so what you expect. But quite is good, peaceful more space in pool , which was clean warm lovely. The food at the manor was great price very good size portions . staff are so friendly and helpful. We had a really great time. I was worried reading some reviews, but i could not of had a nicer time. Our bungalow/chalet was clean, no damp!!! so peaceful at night, fully stocked kitchen. Was so happy!!! i payed £15 for electric and it still had some left in the meter when we were going. Which i thought was good , heaters in each room, nice and warm at night. Flat screen tv with freeview, and best of all full mobile phone reception.Our car parking was right next to us and not to far to the manor .
The arcade was always quite , my children went there everynight and loved the fact that they could play on anything without waiting . The bars too were quite, lovely not having lots of people about.

3 Thank sarah m
Crawley
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Have just returned from a fantastic family weekend at Penstowe Park.

Last year we planned a family get together for a birthday celebration. At first we booked the 4 rooms in the Manor Lodge but as the year progressed we needed more space. Whenever we called the girls on reception were able to sort us out more accomodation.

When we arrived the rooms were all clean and warm with beds made up.

We also booked the Restaurant for a dinner on the Friday night. Pete the Chef was really helpful in preparing a menu for the night and was always able to offer extra options to people.

The meal on the Friday was great and the size of the massive puddings put a smile on everyone's faces. Thanks again to Pete and his team.

The night went into the wee small hours and Les and his entertainments team and the bar staff could not do enough for us. Cheers guys.

Although Penstowe is a small park it has a lot of good facilities, and it is a nice place to bring your family.

Room Tip: Book an apartment in the Manor Lodge not the most modern of decor but very spacious and warm.
1 Thank Bob M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kilkhampton
An Mor
Bude Holiday Resort
Bude Holiday Resort
#5 of 32 in Bude
Bideford Bay Holiday Park - Park Resorts

Been to Penstowe Holiday Park? Share your experiences!