Tripadvisor

Review of Carriages

Carriages
Ranked #5 of 11 Restaurants in Kilmacolm
Reviewed January 21, 2020

I had been in for drinks a couple of times and did find that the wind per glass is limited and feel it is Glasgow City center prices.
Went in for a meal and although the menu is extensive there are some vital bits of information missing in the descriptions, like the fisherman's pie being loaded with seafood, I like some fish but would be good to know exactly whats in it also for allergen reasons. Also the Spicy King Prawn Tacos. even when i asked how the prawns were cooked i was told in crumbs and fried, I opted for that ans 2 wraps came like that but the 3rd had a prawn cocktail in it, just odd. it was however very tasty and i would recommend it. The triple cooked ships honestly looked like the had been passed by the fryer and looked so bland and were soggy rather than crisp.
I see there is a new menu coming so i hope they have taken any feedback on board as it is a lovely place and the staff were great, although i was asked if i was finished 3 times when i was still chatting and eating, knife and fork apart as a signal.

Date of visit: January 2020
1  Thank mrsmeekers
Write a reviewReviews (36)

Reviewed January 5, 2020 via mobile

This last visit was more acceptable as far as noise level was concerned, but only because someone had asked for the Muzak to be turned off in the restaurant. This made it possible to hear what my companions and the waiters said! Previous visits were marred by loud music being played and consequently diners having to shout to be heard. There are two large TVs constantly showing football games, but no-one is watching! What’s the point? Noise abatement panels can be bought at Amazon and these would be of value.

However, the food is good, as is the service, that is until it comes time to pay the bill when there appears to be reluctance to present it! In spite of a very few drawbacks, we will definitely return.

Date of visit: January 2020
1  Thank bowpa
Reviewed January 2, 2020

Went here a few weeks ago for a pre christmas family get together. Three of us went. The food is excellent, very tasty and nicely presented and a decently sized portion too. The service was a bit slow but being the time of year we went the restaurant was very busy with a couple of large tables being served around the same time we were. The main problem was the noise, there is music being played through speakers in the restaurant area, and that combined with the chatter and clatter from maybe forty or fifty people eating and talking was quite overwhelming. When I'm out for a meal in a restaurant I don't expect to have to keep asking my dining companions or the waiting staff to repeat what they said. Please consider either having no music in the restaurant, or turning it down very low when the chatter level rises. All in all, I would go back again, but I'd hope it was a bit quieter.

Reviewed December 26, 2019

The three of us were seated promptly having arrived as walk in with no booking on Sunday 22nd. Drinks menus were presented on seating and our order taken within 5 min, food menus were given out after placing drinks order and then an acceptable 7mins were given before orders were taken. Pizza, macaroni & cheese and a turkey dinner.
All three items were brought to the table together, all piping hot and a pleasant member of staff.
The meals were all well above average. The pizza was very tasty (gluten free just ask the staff for goodness sake) the macaroni and cheese passed the test with my family mac & cheese expert and the turkey dinner was fabulous.
Desert orders were taken and they too arrived in a timely manner and were exceptional.
We did have to wait a bit for paying the bill but over all, we’ll be back.
A massive upgrade on its predecessor with actual genuine chefs in the kitchen rather than a chief microwave technician.
The waiting staff were busy that day but if your in a rush go to McDonald’s.

Reviewed December 25, 2019

Visited on Christmas Day with high expectations due to the price . The meal started out well but as it went on and got busier the staff struggled and when asked Simple questions about menu they didn’t know a lot such as not knowing what a Christmas pudding was before serving it . In fact to quote the staff member said “eh I don’t actually know what these are”

We had a 7 year old with us and at no point did we get offered a children’s menu we guessed they didn’t have one until another table was offered it .

We had to search for staff twice for our bill and hot drinks they stood at a corner chatting when found .

To end it all we went to get our jackets NO STAFF helped or offered to help in fact MANAGEMENT stood and watched as we done this for 10 min . The amount of jackets on the hangers was ridiculous .

If jackets aren’t given back to correct people then I can see people’s belongings being stolen eventually .

3  Thank canon_traveller_