“Lu Khach Quan: A Vietnamese Highlight”
Review of Lu Khach Quan

and 1 more site!
Lu Khach Quan
Reviewed July 29, 2013

My friends and I were originally enticed to stay at Lu Khach Quan for the opportunity to ride ostriches but once we arrived we were immediately charmed by Sang's hospitality, genuine nature and enthusiasm for introducing us to all that Bien Hoa has to offer. Sang and his family were exceptionally welcoming and made us feel like members of the family, which was especially nice after months of being away from home. We all made a delicious Vietnamese dinner and ate on their rooftop terrace with a view of the entire city. During the day we chose a tour where we were taken by motos to go ostrich riding, swim at a beautiful waterfall and for lunch at a pho restaurant. If this doesn't float your boat I'm sure you can talk to Sang and plan a tour that suits you. After two nights in Bien Hoa my friends and I went to Dalat for a couple days but returned to attend the wedding of Sang's best friend and it was easily my favorite day in Vietnam! I cannot stress enough how much I enjoyed staying in Bien Hoa and if you want to experience an authentic side of Vietnam that isn't overrun with tourists I highly reccomend Lu Khach Quan for an unforgettable time.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank munrola

Reviewed July 5, 2013

We'd heard about this place from other travelers, and decided to take the 1h bus from Saigon to Bien Hoa. When we arrived in the hostel, which is more like a homestay, since you really cook & eat together with the family, we were amazed: Spatious and clean rooms (with AC), off the tourist tracks, and the warmest welcome I'd had in Vietnam. Sang speaks perfect English, and he and his family will do everything they can to make you feel like part of their family.
The accomodation is just incredible: rooftop shower & terrace, great rooms and the food you cook together with his family was just delicious!
Sang offers personalized trips on the back of a motorbike/scooter: we visited the most beautiful temple complex (honestly the most spectacular one I have seen in Vietnam, although the lonely planet hardly mentiones it), you see the surprize on the faces of the locals since you're the only tourists there. Then we went to see pomelo village, really cosy and once again, great food! As a co-guide, Sang chooses to pick students, to give them a change to improve their English. His lovely niece took us to the local market, his sister showed us how Vietnamese foods are prepared (rooftop barbecue with the entire family!!).
So really, if you want to see real Vietnam family life and hospitality, take a couple of days away from busy Saigon, discover places where hardly any other tourists go: go to stay at Lu Khach Quan!!!

Room Tip: Value: at the time of our visit, Sang didn't work with fixed rates, he asked to decide for ourse...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Heleendewitte
Reviewed June 3, 2013

A million thanks to Sang and all his brave and sweet family for those memorable 3 days.

I stayed in the dorms which were really clean, as well as the bathrooms.
The green garden rooftop made quite a good relaxation time in the afternoon. The view is quite epic also !
Its also the best place for a drink(or more)

The food was extra tasteful and every meals would be different, I would help and assist in the kitchen and eat with the family, loved it !

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Fullmetal J
Reviewed May 1, 2013

The Lu Khach Quan guesthouse can be highly recommended. It may not be located in the heart of a touristic centre, as Bien Hoa is very much an industrial and commercial city, but you will get the vibe of the real Vietnam. I spent there a few memorable days, the owner Sang and his family will go out of their ways to guarantee you an interesting homestay. In the vicinity of the city he offers several one and half day trips in the rural and semi rural areas. On the rooftop you have a nice view and breeze and there I enioyed some of the best Vietnamese food I have ever eaten. What I found fascinating was the the fact that I could count nine Catholic churches from there and there are dozens more. This part of the city must be the most Chistian area in Vietnam, I guess, and it was interesting to talk with Sang about the Vietnamese breed of Catholicism. It is worthwile to visit a Catholic mass, they offer them as early as 5 am! A guided tour to the market with an eager English student, followed by a Vietnamese cooking lesson with the owner’s sister is also a worthwile experience. So if you have time to spend a few days away from the normal tourists’ path, it might add value to your stay in Vietnam.

Room Tip: There are two spacious dorm rooms and one single room.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank siemprePP
Reviewed April 11, 2013

We had an awesome 3 days staying with Sang and his family. They really made us feel at home, and were there any time of the day or night if we needed anything (even when we arrived unannounced at 3am!). Its just an hour outside HCMC and is the perfect place to stop over on your way up north! The most real Vietnamese experience of our whole 3 week trip! Will definitely be coming back here!

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank GLDan
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Sang, the owner, is really making an effect to make feel at home. You cook, eat and party together and he showed is around the entire area. We went ostrichriding with him, so sweet! His springrolls are legend and te rooms are spacious and clean. Even the dormrooms were perfect. He took us to his friends and we dined and had beer there. Had so much fun. If you wanna get of the beaten track in south Vietnam, this is the place to go!

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed April 7, 2013

I traveled in Vietnam for almost a month, primary in the southern parts, and i must say, that this place is by far the best place i've been. The people there took care of all our needs to a most fair price. We went on many trips with the personel, who always were prepared to as we asked. We ent to wantefalls, long rides on bikes and even ostrich riding. If you ever come by Vietnam you should come by this place!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends