“Best rental I've ever stayed in!”
other travelers have booked this property
The serenity of Casa Kalana insures a complete reconnection to your SELF.
Mornings spent on this patio are the most peaceful you have ever known. Coffee's brewing... The centerpiece of our home is our 40' undersea mural consisting of handmade 3D sealife sculptures!
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Excellent
The serenity of Casa Kalana insures a complete reconnection to your SELF.
Entrance View to Casa Kalana, private, heavily wooded and door to shore before your coffee gets cold
From door to shore in under 3 minutes, if you don't stop to chat with the monkeys...
Set back in the jungle with lush gardens and lots of daily visits from the monkeys and hummingbirds
Please remember to ALWAYS shower and remove ALL SAND before entering the house or indoor shower.
Again we remind you to always use the outdoor shower to remove SAND, its worse than mud trust us! ;)
Relax in the hammocks in the tropical breeze and see why others call us a 'hidden paradise'. :)
Main living area opens onto the outdoor terrace
The front living area from the outdoor terrace
Playa Negra, for surfers its a dream come true. For spectators, you can't get a better seat.
Dining area with custom Guanacaste table and chairs, please do not lean back in them!!
A beautiful view is in every direction
World class surfing right out your front door & beginner surf lessons at Sandy beach, much safer!
View across the bar into Kitchen
We are 15 minutes from this exact place. We organize this zipline trip for you and your group!
Sunshine Room w/ Queen Bed
We organize horse tours both beach and mountains for you and your group!
Sunshine Room w/ Queen Bed
Papaya Room w/ Queen Bed
We organize local fishing charters who guarantee to put a smile on your face like this lucky lady!
Papaya Room w/ Queen Bed
Shared bathroom with hot water shower.
Casa Kalana - your personal 'hidden paradise'
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
sadtaco
Seattle, Washington
“Best rental I've ever stayed in!”
Reviewed May 23, 2016 for a stay in April 2016

I went to costa rica with a friend of mine in April, 2016 and stayed at Casa Kalana. I was supposed to stay with friends up the road at a local resort but changed my plans at the last minute and stayed at Frank's house.
This place was DOPE! It was furnished in a blend of a Southwestern United States/costal surf/Central American style. Warm, inviting, casual and comfortable. It was more comfortable than my own house at Alki Beach in Seattle, Washington. Howling monkeys came out at night, bats and other wildlife. Best of all, Frank's disposition was "Brah, everything here is yours". All Frank asked us to do was water the lawn daily and that was it.

The property was located about a 5 minute walk to the beach, which was cool cause we went surfing daily, morning and afternoon. It was also within walking distance to a local store and a resort with a hotel bar and restaurant. We didn't go to the bar or restaurant much, the prices were too high and the service sucked. Frank had a full size kitchen in the house anyway so we made food daily.

Frank is a rad landlord; he came out to visit a couple of times and surf, and the daily greeting was "Brah, you go surf yet?" If you come to stay you wont be disappointed; its with 45 minute drive to Tamarindo, and everything else is easy to find and drive to. Highly recommend it.

Traveling group: Friends
Your age range 35-49
Dec 7, 2016
Aloha Tim and THANK YOU for the kind words!! I am so happy when I read about people who really enjoy the location which is the biggest part of the experience here. I hope to see you and your friends down here again!! Cheers, FK
Arhana C
Palo Alto, California
“Paradise meets comfort”
Reviewed June 10, 2015 for a stay in June 2015
people found this review helpful

My boyfriend and I spent four nights at the amazing Casa Kalana. We are both into the outdoors and looked forward to staying at a place that felt authentically Costa RIcan rather than a resort. We fell in love with Casa Kalana on Airbnb and decided to make Playa Negra our base while we explored the Guanacaste coast.

It turned out to be an amazing decision-- both Negra and the house far exceeded expectations. The house is gorgeous and kept immaculate, featuring a full ocean mural and a kitchen, dining room, living room, bathroom, and two bedrooms as well as ample outdoor living space. The bedroom was very comfortable and stayed cool even during hot nights, and the bathroom was one of the few we encountered during our trip that had US-level plumbing (i.e. you can flush toilet paper--trust me, that's impressive!). In addition, we had excellent Wifi and could even stream Netflix without interruption. We woke up to the sounds of nature, watched the stars from the roof, and saw little crabs crawling around the house--in short, we had all the amenities we are used to from home but in a tropical paradise.

The house is very safe--we slept with the door open, and our host Frank always kept an eye on our house while we were out. We even felt comfortable leaving cash and passports out. The location is excellent--between Rincon de le Vieja to the north and Nicoya to the south, so it's perfect for exploring the region. While Playa Negra is small, there are enough restaurants, tour guides, and rental shops that you don't feel for any want, plus you can hit up closeby Tamarindo for touristy stuff and then come back to your peaceful retreat.

The biggest draw of the house is the proximity to the beach--we woke up early every morning and walked 5 min to a breathtaking beach. We aren't surfers, although we were told that it's the site of world-class surfing. We loved swimming in the Callejones tide pool and splashing around in Negra at low tide. The spectacular sunrises and sunsets at Negra are some of our favorite memories from the trip. We had planned on beach-hopping more but couldn't bear to leave Playa Negra and nearby Playa Avellanas for long.

Frank Kalana is one of the most gracious and caring hosts we've ever come across on Airbnb. He took amazing care of us by giving us tips, always keeping the house stocked with fresh towels, watching our stuff while we were out, picking up food for our first day so we wouldn't be hungry, and planning activities for us from his local friends. If you can, definitely take a surf lesson from Emiliano and a SUP tour with Javier. Everyone in the community knows Frank, and staying at Casa Kalana made us feel like part of that community too.

We were on a budget but didn't feel like we were because of Casa Kalana. The house and Playa Negra are very special to us, and we want to come back as soon as we can. If you want a truly peaceful, relaxing, off-the-beaten-path experience without compromising comfort and convenience, Casa Kalana is it.

Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children
Jun 11, 2015
Aloha and THANK YOU for your amazing review! We are humbled by your experience and as always, blessed to be able to provide you an amazing portal through which to see Playa Negra. Your experience here is what we are aiming to provide our guests however, I want to emphasize to ALL guests who rent at ANY house in the area, to NEVER leave your doors unlocked and money and passports laying out. While we are extremely pleased to hear that our guests felt safe enough to do so, we do NOT recommend or encourage ANY of our area guests to do the same. Never tempt fate is a good reminder. Again, Thank you and we look forward to your next visit!!! Mahalo nui loa!! FK
MarcoBrun...
Pinamar, Argentina
“Awesome experience”
Reviewed May 29, 2015 for a stay in April 2015

The whole stay was brilliant , really enjoyed everything of it , the house is super clean and confortable with all comodities, plenty of space , has a enormous yard with many autoctonal trees, plants and flowers, very close to playa negra beach were you can go by a short walk . Frank the manager always present taking care of your stay and giving you all information you need of places to go and visit .
I recomend it and will back to Casa Kalana for sure.
PURA VIDA

Traveling group: Solo
Your age range 25-34
Jun 11, 2015
Thank you so much for your kind words! We are always working to insure our guests have the most amazing time possible in Playa Negra! We are so happy to hear our guests leave feeling like they 'belong' and already planning their next visit with us!! So many people come as guests and continue to leave as friends. Mahalo nui loa!! FK
Freespiri...
“All I dreamed of”
Reviewed May 26, 2015 for a stay in May 2013
person found this review helpful

It was an experience that I will never forget...I will start with the perfect beach, perfect waves, a wild iguana that begged every day for bananas, buying the daily catch from the fisherman, friendly people that invite you to come to their house for dinner, a walk everyday down the beach for miles to Avellanes with no other footprints in the sand......so much more....but I will end with a beautiful house, fireflies in the bedroom when the lights went out, fruit trees, very comfortable and the huge monkey roof where the monkeys sway with the pappagallo winds and wild sounds de la jungla and stars fill the space around.....I will be back every chance I get...3 times so far and every time the experience is unique! Thank you Kalanas!

Bathroom cleanliness
Liked best: monkey roof, bedroom, beach, sounds of jungla
Liked least: leaving
May 28, 2015
When I read reviews like this my soul warms inside. While we can't take credit for the natural surroundings, we do take great pride in keeping our property as clean as possible for all the wildlife and humans to enjoy. I love that you found the fireflies enjoyable! I have never seen so many fireflies in all my life. It seemed like I was walking on a carpet of flashbulbs, the stuff of dreams for sure. Please come and visit us again, we have even more surprises in store for you on your next visit to Casa Kalana! This is our vision, to build and sell the best natural experience in a pristine environment. Waking to the sound of the monkeys, hummingbirds and pacific surf is the best way to start the day! Mahalo nui loa, FK
Ryan S
“Casa Kalana - A relaxing Paradise”
Reviewed March 22, 2015 for a stay in December 2013
person found this review helpful

I have visited Costa Rica a number of times, and have stayed at Casa Kalana several of those visits. Let me start of by saying that the location is perfect. On my first trip to Playa Negra in 2005, I had a friend pick me up at the airport, and drop me off here. I had about 2 weeks to kill between jobs, so i figured, why not head down to Negra, and check to see if my friends had truly lost their minds, or if this place was paradise. It was the middle of October, so rainy season, but that didn't stop my from having the time of my life, on what was going to become my first of many trips to this tropical paradise. I had no car, but managed just fine, walking a few hundred yards down to the beach, where for the majority of the time, I felt like I had to myself. In the morning after waking to the sound of monkeys overhead, I would take a 10 minute walk into town, have a hearty breakfast, and then walk for hours up and down the beach, enjoying the warm weather and peace of being disconnected. At night, i would wander into town, pick one of the handful of restaurants, enjoy some excellent eats, and one or two more pilsen's than I likely should have had, and stumble the short walk back to the house. At night, I'd open up the front windows and front door, and get a nice breeze blowing through the house, kicking back to read, or chilling and listening to some music. Needless to say at the end of my 10 days, I almost wish I didn't have to leave to return back to the concrete jungle.

On this particular trip, my wife and I again chose to stay at Casa Kalana, and we were happy to once again be back in paradise. 250 meters to the ocean, a few more into town for dinner/food, and back to the place I hope one day I will be able to call home. The owner, Frank, is very easy to deal with, and will put you in contact with the right people for a true costa rican experience.

The people in Negra/Junquillal are wonderful. Everyone is very friendly, and we truly miss the people each and every time we leave. At the end of my trip, i became ill, and had forgotten my inhaler at home. The owner pinged a few people around town, and within about 15 minutes, i was at the doorstep of a complete stranger who offered my hers, and even a nebulizer treatment if needed. What more can i say about the people here? Much love for them all.

Most of my trips down to CR, I venture in to Tamarindo for a day or night trip, and leave wondering how upset I would have been if that were my only experience in CR. Do yourselves a favor, and check out this lovely sliver of paradise. You won't be disappointed. Although I have done this trip without a car, I would highly suggest that you rent one. It just makes it that much easier to explore the area.

Liked best: Location
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
May 28, 2015
Thank you for your support and kind words. We work hard to keep our tropical paradise home as cool and cozy for all our guests. It sounds like you really enjoyed the wildlife! It's a challenge to live with nature in such an intimate setting, and we strive to keep the property safe and clean, but not to interfere with the movement of the animals in their daily routines. Sounds like we are doing pretty good! :) Every visit contributes to helping Casa Kalana fulfill the dream of increasing the property's ambiance and comfort. We are getting closer to our vision of a tropical paradise and we hope that you and your friends always return!! Mahalo, FK
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing