“All I dreamed of”
other travelers have booked this property
The serenity of Casa Kalana insures a complete reconnection to your SELF.
Mornings spent on this patio are the most peaceful you have ever known. Coffee's brewing... The centerpiece of our home is our 40' undersea mural consisting of handmade 3D sealife sculptures!
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Excellent
The serenity of Casa Kalana insures a complete reconnection to your SELF.
Entrance View to Casa Kalana, private, heavily wooded and door to shore before your coffee gets cold
From door to shore in under 3 minutes, if you don't stop to chat with the monkeys...
Set back in the jungle with lush gardens and lots of daily visits from the monkeys and hummingbirds
Please remember to ALWAYS shower and remove ALL SAND before entering the house or indoor shower.
Again we remind you to always use the outdoor shower to remove SAND, its worse than mud trust us! ;)
Relax in the hammocks in the tropical breeze and see why others call us a 'hidden paradise'. :)
Main living area opens onto the outdoor terrace
The front living area from the outdoor terrace
Playa Negra, for surfers its a dream come true. For spectators, you can't get a better seat.
Dining area with custom Guanacaste table and chairs, please do not lean back in them!!
A beautiful view is in every direction
World class surfing right out your front door & beginner surf lessons at Sandy beach, much safer!
View across the bar into Kitchen
We are 15 minutes from this exact place. We organize this zipline trip for you and your group!
Sunshine Room w/ Queen Bed
We organize horse tours both beach and mountains for you and your group!
Sunshine Room w/ Queen Bed
Papaya Room w/ Queen Bed
We organize local fishing charters who guarantee to put a smile on your face like this lucky lady!
Papaya Room w/ Queen Bed
Shared bathroom with hot water shower.
Casa Kalana - your personal 'hidden paradise'
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Freespiri...
“All I dreamed of”
Reviewed May 26, 2015 for a stay in May 2013
person found this review helpful

It was an experience that I will never forget...I will start with the perfect beach, perfect waves, a wild iguana that begged every day for bananas, buying the daily catch from the fisherman, friendly people that invite you to come to their house for dinner, a walk everyday down the beach for miles to Avellanes with no other footprints in the sand......so much more....but I will end with a beautiful house, fireflies in the bedroom when the lights went out, fruit trees, very comfortable and the huge monkey roof where the monkeys sway with the pappagallo winds and wild sounds de la jungla and stars fill the space around.....I will be back every chance I get...3 times so far and every time the experience is unique! Thank you Kalanas!

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness
Liked best: monkey roof, bedroom, beach, sounds of jungla
Liked least: leaving
Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Management Response
May 28, 2015
When I read reviews like this my soul warms inside. While we can't take credit for the natural surroundings, we do take great pride in keeping our property as clean as possible for all the wildlife and humans to enjoy. I love that you found the fireflies enjoyable! I have never seen so many fireflies in all my life. It seemed like I was walking on a carpet of flashbulbs, the stuff of dreams for sure. Please come and visit us again, we have even more surprises in store for you on your next visit to Casa Kalana! This is our vision, to build and sell the best natural experience in a pristine environment. Waking to the sound of the monkeys, hummingbirds and pacific surf is the best way to start the day! Mahalo nui loa, FK
Ryan S
“Casa Kalana - A relaxing Paradise”
Reviewed March 22, 2015 for a stay in December 2013
person found this review helpful

I have visited Costa Rica a number of times, and have stayed at Casa Kalana several of those visits. Let me start of by saying that the location is perfect. On my first trip to Playa Negra in 2005, I had a friend pick me up at the airport, and drop me off here. I had about 2 weeks to kill between jobs, so i figured, why not head down to Negra, and check to see if my friends had truly lost their minds, or if this place was paradise. It was the middle of October, so rainy season, but that didn't stop my from having the time of my life, on what was going to become my first of many trips to this tropical paradise. I had no car, but managed just fine, walking a few hundred yards down to the beach, where for the majority of the time, I felt like I had to myself. In the morning after waking to the sound of monkeys overhead, I would take a 10 minute walk into town, have a hearty breakfast, and then walk for hours up and down the beach, enjoying the warm weather and peace of being disconnected. At night, i would wander into town, pick one of the handful of restaurants, enjoy some excellent eats, and one or two more pilsen's than I likely should have had, and stumble the short walk back to the house. At night, I'd open up the front windows and front door, and get a nice breeze blowing through the house, kicking back to read, or chilling and listening to some music. Needless to say at the end of my 10 days, I almost wish I didn't have to leave to return back to the concrete jungle.

On this particular trip, my wife and I again chose to stay at Casa Kalana, and we were happy to once again be back in paradise. 250 meters to the ocean, a few more into town for dinner/food, and back to the place I hope one day I will be able to call home. The owner, Frank, is very easy to deal with, and will put you in contact with the right people for a true costa rican experience.

The people in Negra/Junquillal are wonderful. Everyone is very friendly, and we truly miss the people each and every time we leave. At the end of my trip, i became ill, and had forgotten my inhaler at home. The owner pinged a few people around town, and within about 15 minutes, i was at the doorstep of a complete stranger who offered my hers, and even a nebulizer treatment if needed. What more can i say about the people here? Much love for them all.

Most of my trips down to CR, I venture in to Tamarindo for a day or night trip, and leave wondering how upset I would have been if that were my only experience in CR. Do yourselves a favor, and check out this lovely sliver of paradise. You won't be disappointed. Although I have done this trip without a car, I would highly suggest that you rent one. It just makes it that much easier to explore the area.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Location
Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Management Response
May 28, 2015
Thank you for your support and kind words. We work hard to keep our tropical paradise home as cool and cozy for all our guests. It sounds like you really enjoyed the wildlife! It's a challenge to live with nature in such an intimate setting, and we strive to keep the property safe and clean, but not to interfere with the movement of the animals in their daily routines. Sounds like we are doing pretty good! :) Every visit contributes to helping Casa Kalana fulfill the dream of increasing the property's ambiance and comfort. We are getting closer to our vision of a tropical paradise and we hope that you and your friends always return!! Mahalo, FK
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing