All reviews great trip banana bread dawn patrol boat trip pura vida costa rica zip lining witches rock fresh fruit great guy breakfast and dinner per day the real deal minute walk look no further playa grande fish
Reviewed July 25, 2017

I traveled down to Casa RST with my boyfriend and another couple in May of 2017. We all have varying skill levels and we all had a blast!!! There are waves for everyone. And if you don't surf, there are plenty of other adventurous and relaxing things you can do. What made the trip most special was the staff. Steve, Cato and Bob were all so kind to us and made sure we had a great time. They all went above and beyond to ensure that our trip was superb. And it was.

Also, the food was INCREDIBLE, fresh fish and veggies almost every night. The accommodation is beautiful and family style. The rooms are clean and cool (thank goodness for AC). I would definitely return to Casa RST for another surf trip in the future. Thank you for making our trip so special!

Room tip: The master bedroom is the best of course..... That's where we stayed. It's large and has a beautiful view of the pool, flora and fauna.
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
bobsurfs007, General Manager at Real Surf Trips, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2017

Thanks Miranda! It was great having the crew from Santa Cruz and we really appreciate the board donation. We did a raffle for the local kids and it was a huge success! Thanks so much for the great review......Gracias and Pura Vida!!

Reviewed July 17, 2017

Where do I start. This was my second trip to Real Surf Trips in the past 12 months. My first trip was back in late August of 16 for 5 days. The trip in May was for 10...and still not enough. The whole crew RST is absolutely top notch. From the founding partner Bob to all the instructors. So I fly into Liberia which is about an hour and half from Playa Negra. The driver Jeffrey is awesome. We stopped for lunch a quaint little place...I have not had a bad meal once in Costa Rica! On our way to the Casa we go. We get there and there is Steve and Ryan. Now Ryan I only met briefly last year but is one awesome dude. Now Steve who is the director and the do it all guy I got to know really well. I unpack a bit and right off the bat Ryan's like you wanna go to Avys and check out the surf...I'm like well yeah! So off we go. Ryan is a very good surfer...me I'm still learning. We basically just go out and catch waves. He provides me with information and pointers but unless I ask he leaves me be...which I love. Not much of a crowd even in the morning. We did this everyday for 9 days. It was great. Everyday when I wake up Steve has coffee and a snack ready to go before we head out to surf then after a few hours we head back and Steve has breakfast...again did I mention I have not had a bad meal there. Some days we would venture out and hit a local place for lunch...always good food. Steve and Ryan and Cato who is just as awesome... know everyone and I mean everyone. One of the best nights we had was coming back from somewhere after dinner and we just stopped to talk to the seafood and veggie delivery guys about delivery and ended up hanging with them having beer and some god awful shot of something but man it was a good time. I mean I really don't have one complaint. I have done and do quite a bit of traveling and for what RST is doing they nail it. Quite quaint secluded off the beaten path vacation...its freakin' perfect. If you are looking for something non resort like away from the hustle and bustle this is it. RST can also set up other activities like SUP, ziplining, boat trips you name it they can get it done. Next time I wanna do a month!

Trip type: Traveled solo
bobsurfs007, General Manager at Real Surf Trips, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2017

Kevin!!

Awesome and really appreciate your kind words about the crew. Great to see you again this year, and that you are really enjoying yourself at RST. Having repeat guests is key to our business and we all thank you!!

I'm sure we will see you soon!

Reviewed July 6, 2017

My wife and I had a great time and are really glad we chose Real Surf Trips in Playa Negra. Here are the reasons why it worked so well for us: Steve is a great house director. He is welcoming and listened to what we wanted from the trip and everyday made it happen. In addition to surfing with me in the mornings, he scheduled other great activities for my wife and I, such as zip lining, horseback rides (horses were really good - and the ride very fun) ATV ride, trip to Tamarindo, and watching an amazing sunset view in Steve's secret spot. He made a great breakfast every day and was easy and fun to hang with. The dinner cook, Emilia, is a superb cook and very cool. The house itself worked great. We really liked the master suite room, big, nice view, good air-conditioning and a massive covered deck.The house is in a great location. You can easily walk to 3 different, good to excellent surf spots from the house or it's a short drive to other spots. The surf was good to very good every day and we managed to get 3 mornings where the only ones in the waves were Steve, myself and the turtles. I have been on a previous trip to surf Costa Rica and prefer the spots in this location.We overlapped with two different father and son guests and found them to be interesting and fun to socialize with. Steve is really involved with the local community which facilitates fun interactions. One day we were sitting by pool and 3 local kids stopped by to see him. We ended up playing scrabble in Spanish. I would also note that when booking the trip, Bob was on it - answering questions and emails very timely and efficiently. Great trip - I hope to return soon.

Date of stay: July 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
bobsurfs007, General Manager at Real Surf Trips, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2017

Thanks Terri & Mike!

That was a wonderful review and covers a question we get all the time about bringing significant others that do not surf. Thanks so much for clarifying that and the wonderful review on the team!! We all really appreciate that!

Reviewed June 3, 2017 via mobile

13 of us summit hunnies got on a plane to Costa Rica for a surfing trip. Some of the the girls have already been there so I got an idea of what the trip was going to be like (my expectations were pretty high). Immediately when I walked through that door I was overwhelmed by how amazing it was. Blew my expectations out of the water. I have never been to a place so beautiful with the most welcoming people. Steve and all of the boys took such great care of ALL of us! Spoiled the heck out of us! And you could only imagine how much work it is taking care of 13 crazy girls..... Bob had everything set up for us such as, surfing, yoga on the beach every morning, zip lining, paddle boarding, massages. You name it he can get it done. I have never surfed before this trip and the boys did a perfect job teaching and helping me catch those Costa Rican waves. It's hard to put into words how amazing it really was. Needless to say I'm already planning my next trip.

Pura vida! I love you guys

Trip type: Traveled with friends
bobsurfs007, Owner at Real Surf Trips, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2017

Karlina! Glad you girls had a blast. The cruise was my favorite of the week, the girls were hilarious. We enjoyed having you and look forward to next year! Thanks so much for the great review, the boys and I appreciate it!!

Reviewed May 26, 2017

My buddy and I – late 20s in age – had it on our bucket list to learn how to surf in March. After scouring the web for options, we fortunately stumbled upon Real Surf Trips Playa Negra. After an amazing week of surf lessons, cervezas, and newfound friendship, we cannot wait to go back!

Bob and Steve have put together a seamless experience for surfers of all experience levels. Starting with a pickup in Liberia from the legendary local Tico, Jeffery, we drove across the Costa Rican countryside learning stories about the country’s culture and history (in perfect English). Steve then greeted us at the door with his first of many “pura vidas!” and gave us a tour of the amazing house. After a walk to the beach (basically in the backyard), we immediately felt at home. Cato and crew had us standing up and riding waves on day one at nearby Playa Avellana. The rest of the trip was more of the same... You will hope it never ends.

Still hesitating? Bob will answers any questions you may have before booking all the way up until you arrive. Then, once you’re there, he’ll make sure you’ve caught the waves you were promised.

Steve also won’t sleep (literally) until his guests have the trip of their lives. Delicious chef-cooked meals at the house? No problem. Trip to the nearby bars to hang with the locals? No problem. Surf lessons? No problem. Want to be left alone? Well...shame on you… but no problem! Steve goes the extra mile not because it is his job but because that’s the type of guy he is.

Close the laptop. Shut down the smart phone. Hang with Bob, Steve, Cato, Jeffery. Visit Costa Rica. Have yourself a Real Surf Trip. Pura Vida!

- Scott

Date of stay: March 2017
bobsurfs007, Owner at Real Surf Trips, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2017

Yea Scott!

Awesome review buddy, thanks so much! It was a great week, thats for sure......All the crew says Pura Vida!!