“Awesome!!”

Ranked #1 of 11 Restaurants in Playa Negra
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 17, 2013

We went back two nights in a row.. The food was amazing and so was the atmosphere. One night I had the grouper and the other night the shrimp linguine. The popcorn shrimp are great.

There are newer reviews for Villa Deveena

Reviewed May 10, 2013

This is our "Go TO" place when we want to go to the best! Atmosphere is elegant tropical, open air overlooking a small pool at the 6 room hotel. The owners are from France. Patrick is the chef. Every entree is amazing. The flavours, textures, freshness of each dish comes through. This last week we took friends who had just purchased a condo in Tamarindo. We wanted to celebrate! I had the fresh grouper fish with citrus risitto, fresh spinach, and I always order a side of the potatoes gratin. The ribs and the slow cooked pork are always a favorite. You must order the Duck Ravolli appetizers. Great for sharing. One of the best wine lists around. The discerning diners will come away saying this is their new amazing find! Bon Appetite!

Reviewed April 29, 2013

The owners of Lola's - a nearby beachfront cafe and bar in Playa Avellanas suggested to us that we would appreciate Villa Deveena for dinner. After driving about about 8 km on the bumpy dirt road to the little village of Play Negra - we came to Villa Deveena. The husband and wife owners were originally from Lyon, France, and he also spent many years as the chief chef at an exclusive club in Hollywood, California.

Well - the food was spectacular. I had a duck ravioli appetizer that was like nothing I ever had before, and a seafood risotto where the shrimp, scallops, and mussels were done absolutely perfectly. We live in Nova Scotia where we are well used to excellently prepared seafood - but I can say that I don't think that I have ever had seafood cooked so perfectly.

The open-air restaurant was built and designed by the chef and his wife and was a bit expensive - but we enjoyed it so much that we came back a second time. The wine list was quite remarkable - and if you did not go crazy and order a $350 bottle of wine - you could have a wonderful full dinner (including wine, appetizer, and dessert) for anywhere between $120 - $ 160/couple.

The owners' son was our waiter - and his recommendations and service was wonderful.

Finding such a place tucked away in a sleepy coastal village was a most delightful surprise!

2  Thank Harvey S
Reviewed April 24, 2013

You would never think you would find such a wonderful gourmet restaurant in a little place like Playa Negra! The outdoor dining room was well appointed, and the staff took everything in stride when the power went out several times (reminding us we were in Costa Rica!). The food, while expensive, was amazingly good. I had a wonderfully tender steak served with mushrooms, served with au gratin potatoes and veggies. It was equal to some of the best meals I've eaten in restaurants anywhere in the world. The wine list was good and the bar well stocked, and the chocolate souffle for dessert was amazing. This was, by far, the best food we ate while visiting Costa Rica.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

We stayed at Villa Deevena and the breakfast was always excellent. The service in the mornings was always great. Bernie was so nice and always so accommodating to our group. He was always working early in the mornings and would make me a coffee, which was some of the best coffee I've ever had. On the dinner menu the risoto was hands down the best dish we tried. Creme brûlée and mango cobbler were both to die for.