“Small Village Resto, eclectic Menu” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Cafe Playa Negra
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Playa Negra
Toronto, Canada
“Small Village Resto, eclectic Menu”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

I lived next door to this joint for almost 6 months and I was never disappointed with what I was served or how I was served, be it dining in, or doing take away. Lots of ceviche options, the biggest burgers, excellent smoothies and a funky decor.

The only disappointment I can list here is that they do not make their own french fries but instead use the bagged, frozen ones.....

I was able to sample most of the menu over 6 months and because I used the same purveyors, knew how good the seafood and meat would be.

Who would have thought that in a tiny surfing village one could find an adventurous menu?

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Hobbs, New Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

We ate here a few times during our stay in Playa Negra and it was good every time! The breakfast and lunch were our favorite. The service was very good as well. We got there about 10 minutes before they closed, we didn't know they closed for one hour between lunch and dinner, but they didn't say a word and served us with no problem. 2 for 1 mojitos which is always a plus!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Oshawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

This is a funky little surfers hotel located in Playa Negra. The hotel is decorated in a really funky, fun style. The rooms are simple but comfortable. We had difficulty getting hot water for the two days that we were there, but that didn't stop us from enjoying the place. The staff are wonderful and willing to help at anytime. The food in the restaurant was great. Some of the best food we had in Costa Rica. The beach is a close walk and it's fun to watch the folks there surf. The beach was a bit to rough for beginner surfers (us), but beautiful to walk on. The only downside was the 10 km drive from the paved road to the hotel. The rough is unpaved with some serious potholes and other issues. It would be good to have a 4x4 to get around here. We would stay again when our surfing skills have improved.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank leah m
New Delhi, Delhi, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

My friend and I ,were at the Liberia's International Airport ,we had no idea where to stay for two days.It was then we heard about the hotel near to it .It's a one hour go from the airport.
we stayed here in Cafe Playa Negra Restaurant for two days.The first thing i say about the hotel is rooms are completely affordable .The staff here is welcome friendly. As we are foreigners we were little worried about the food at first ,so we ordered the special menu for foreigners which they had a provision for us.It was really nice.
Also I took a little step over to have "Peruvian Ceviche".I was really surprised with the delicacy of it.I say it is the best ever i tasted in whole our trip.
The only thing i don't like is the diner time , I am really a late night eater during holidays.But the closing time for dinner is 9pm.I was hurt for that litlle thing so i had to have dinner before 9pm.
The surroundings are very peaceful.The sunrise here is very nice.I had a very peaceful morning here.The beach is also very nearer to the hotel ,around a ten minute leisurely walk .I is
famous for surfers,we just had a adventurous time here in the beach while surfing.
I say it has been a good trip for both us.I suggest if you are in Costa Rica for some reason,go and first have the peruvian ceviche here.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Blackpool, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

I first stayed in the Cafe Playa Negra Hotel and Restaurant whilst travelling on a poker related business trip to Costa Rica back in 2012. I was very pleasantly surprised on my arrival (Only one hour travel from the airport). Not only were the staff genuine, warm and friendly, but did everything possible to make me feel welcome and comfortable. I also found the rooms to have a warm and inviting decor, as my room included an en-suite with hot and cold water (Not something to overlook when in Costa Rica) the room was suitably air-conditioned and overall very clean. The bed was made everyday and extra pillows were also available, which is ideal for me as I like nothing more than 2 or 3 pillows to sleep on. Normally I do tend to pay for more expensive hotels and accommodation especially when on a poker trip overseas however this time I am so glad I opted for the more affordable option, although most of my trip involved me being away from the hotel most of the day, whilst I was there the food was first class; a mix of authentic Costa Rican and Peruvian cuisine although they also had a menu for those with a less adventurous palette such as burgers, chicken goujons and fries, The only complaint about the food was that I didn't get enough of it even though the portions were more than generous. The beach is also a stones throw away (around a ten minute leisurely walk) and is very popular for surfers as well as sun seekers looking to top up their tan.
I did also spend a couple of nights relaxing in the bar and once again the atmosphere was great, the bar service was second to none and I would class it of having a home from home, Nothing was too much trouble for the staff and when they had run out of tomato juice for my Bloody Mary (Vodka & Tomato Juice), they sent someone out to get some and within a few minutes my favorite drink was served. If you are thinking of traveling to Costa Rica and want somewhere to stay where you are made to feel welcome, fantastic authentic food, ideal location for beach and sight-seeing or simply a place to stay then look no further than the Cafe Playa Negra. For the price compared to what are classed as more upmarket executive hotels you will find that opting for the more affordable option is worth much more and the service and hospitality is out of this world. Many Many Thank You's to all the staff at the Cafe Playa Negra, Restaurant & Hotel for making my trip a memorable and enjoyable one. Next time I am in Costa Rica, this will be my first choice.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Santa Monica, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

Love it! Food is great (Peruvian ceviche a must), charm and hospitality are tops and if you want to spend a few days in the neighborhood, rooms are charmy, cozy and well decorated. By comparison to nearby over pretentious Villa Divina, Cafe Playa Negra is authentic and a better bang for your buck!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
US and Costa Rica
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

I have stayed here on two surf trips and both times had a great experience. This most recent trip I only came for lunch and then a concert and dinner later. When I slept there, I remember that they offer a fair price for the rooms which were spacious with comfortable beds, hot water, and cold a/c when needed. The area is fairly quiet and you are a 10 minute walk to the main break at Playa Negra, or a 2 minute drive. The restaurant serves delicious breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and will occasionally host musical groups or surf movies. It is visited a bunch by locals and other surf travelers both residents and international visitors.

Room Tip: The rooms toward the back are quieter.