“Superb Day of Diving”
Review of Northland Dive

Northland Dive
More attraction details
Owner description: New Zealand - Bay of Islands only purpose built Dive lodge, meals, gear hire, tank fills including Nitrox & world-class diving all in one beautiful location.Explore the Canterbury Wreck in a sheltered bay, the 113m long Canterbury Wreck rests bolt upright and fully intact. Guided through the wreck with excellent visibility and plenty to see at shallow depths, makes this one of the most accessible wrecks in New Zealand for inexperienced divers. A challenge also awaits for very qualified and experienced diver planning to explore the engine and boiler rooms.Your hosts Shane & Julia instigated the sinking of the former HMNZS Canterbury along with help from friends and family. Our dream became reality on November 3rd 2007.Dive world-class sites Pinnacles, arches, caves, walls, boulders, kelp forests, sponge gardens, abundant schooling fish, vibrantly coloured invertebrates and possible sightings of large pelagic fish. Relax in Northland Dives lodge catering specifically for divers. Our large lounge areas with wood fires in winter are the best place to relax with a drink after your day of diving and before being served up a delicious and plentiful home-cooked meal.
Reviewed April 5, 2014

We had a superb day of diving with Northland Dive today. We had come up to the North this weekend to dive in the Poor Knights at the weekend, but the forecast for the islands on Sunday was a bit grim with respect to swell and we were left with the prospect of no diving. We were then recommended to come and dive instead with Northland by a dive company in Tutukaka, and we were so glad they did. Shayne and Julia at Northland Dive are really wonderful hosts, providing comfortable rooms and delicious meals in their wonderful custom built dive centre. The diving today was truly amazing, and our dive guide Lisa was really excellent. We had some of our own equipment, but rented our wetsuits and Regs from them, which were top notch, and we got very clear briefings prior to each dive. The dive sites and visibility were wonderful, the first being the 'Canterbury' wreck, and then the Big Eye's Lair, which included a 40 metre tunnel! I really wish we could have stayed here longer and explored some of the other dive sites with Northland, Shane and Julia really run a superb operation with some world class local dive sites. We'll just have to arrange another trip up here another time.

Reviewed April 5, 2014

We spent a couple of nights with Northland Dive. They have a really nice setup here - lots of comfortable rooms and a great boat. Shane and Julia are both friendly and helpful. We were able to rent any additional equipment that we needed. The dive sites are fantastic! We dove the Canterbury Wreck (which Shane and Julia were responsible for sinking) and Big Eye Lair. Our divemaster, Alyssa, was good to dive with - she took her time and always checked to make sure that we were okay. I'd definitely recommend anyone to dive with them - it's amazing value for money.

Reviewed March 10, 2014

A huge thanks to Julia and Lisa who turned this day into one of the best experiences I've ever had. I had never dived before and leading up to it I was very excited but as the day came closer I started feeling so nervous up to the point where I almost didn't want to do it. I was on a holiday with friends and they are really into diving so I thought what better opportunity to do a discovery dive in beautiful NZ with experienced people. Lisa and Julia explaining everything so well and calmly that I started feeling a bit more at ease and kept on reassuring that I should just enjoy it and that it's all safe. Lisa was my instructor for the day and I really will never forget her. She was absolutely wonderful and made it such an enjoyable experience where I felt very safe. The Northland Dive took us on two amazing spots where we saw no other tourists, where the water was extremely clear and a great variety of fish, I'm pretty sure this was just the beginning of their endless list of beautiful places. They made us feel so welcome and did everything they can to make it a memorable day... From the big smile when we arrived to the reassuring talks, the lunch in pure nature... Everything was as perfect as it can be.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

Had a fabulous diving experience with Shayne and Julia along with a very convivial 2 night stay at the lodge. The Northland Dive "base" is in a rural location a few ks away from boat launch facilities and quite a way from the nearest shop so is very self contained. Along with the other diver guests and friends I enjoyed simple but great meals, clean comfortable facilities, sociable atmosphere surrounded by keen divers at all levels of experience from novice (myself) through to experienced divers with 1000+ dives under their belts. And the dives were awesome - 4 dives over 2 days - theres a few reviews I see here on the wreck and reef dives, so won't go into detail but the succinct thorough briefings from Julia and instructor Lisa - and clear guidance from Lisa during the dives - for this relative newcomer to diving - nothing more could have been done to make it a safe and enjoyable experience. Arranged through Dive HQ (Sam) - and assisted by Sam throughout - just an awesome weekend - thanks all.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

We had an amazing day out on the water with a pod of dolphins and a blue shark. Accommodation at the backpackers is very comfortable and Julia out did herself with the tasty food. Shane's an amazing host and seems to enjoy socialising and spending time with the guests.