“Nice night away...excellent value.”

The Coachman Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kilsyth
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Took advantage of an internet deal; £45 for dinner bed and breakfast. Hotel more than acceptable if a little dated in places. Room was a bit on the small side with some peeling wallpaper but clean and well furnished and certainly OK for the short stay we were there.
The deal included a two course evening meal from the a la carte menue and a small glass of wine and at the price we paid we did not expect anything exceptional....have to say though that we were very very impressed at the quality of the meals and the service from the staff was excellent, nicely attentive but not too pushy. Very well prepared and presented dishes. Breakfast was nice too. The hotel seems to be the main focus for entertainment in the town and so was very busy with locals with quite a nice atmosphere. Bar s open until 1am so the hotel can be noisy but we found it did not bother us unduly. Some of the rooms overlook the front of the hotel and so traffic noise on the main road which goes through the town can be an issue but again we found it ok. All in all a reasonable hotel for a short break.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the rear of the hotel to avoid traffic noise in the morning.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 16, 2012

We ate here twice on our recent trip to the area
The plus side first:
The first night, a Friday was steak night and we got a good deal, two steaks and a bottle of wine for £25. Really good value for money, decent portions and well cooked and presented.
The second night (a Saturday) was a family meal. The menu has a good choice and all our starters and mains were well cooked and delicious - again this offers good value for money. The drinks are also reasonably priced.
The down side?
The hotel seems to have decided to capitalise on its popularity as a restaurant and as a result every table in the bar seems to be given over to dining. This means you are very close to all the other diners. We used to eat in the former restaurant part of the bar, but not sure how you could get a table there now. As a result we ate in the large bar area. While there appear to be loads of staff, service is very slow with different people apparently taking drinks and food orders while others deliver it to your table.
We would not eat there on a Friday or Saturday night again - they do not seem able to cope with the volume of customers at busy times. It's a shame, because as I say, the food is very good.
In summary - a great place to eat on quieter nights.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Polly-from-Beds
Reviewed July 15, 2012

I'd only paid £45 for a Great Deal voucher, which entitled my partner and I to a three course dinner with a small glass of wine each, bed and breakfast. So I wasn't expecting the best quality in terms of food and accommodation.
However, the hotel externally may look a bit dated, but the rooms were well-presented, clean and had all the facilities I needed (except a hairdryer!)
But the food alone is worth a trip to the hotel. The partner's mussels starter was a generous portion and tasted great, and my scallops and black pudding with a poached egg was beautiful. There was a supplement for steaks, but at this price we splashed out on a fillet, and a duck breast. Again, both were generously sized and involved great cooking skills. Great service from Claire throughout the meal.
After finishing the wine and cheese, we went to bed totally stuffed. And this is where the problems started...
From around 10pm until 1am on a Saturday night, there is entertainment by the way of karaoke. Our room's close proximity to the bar meant that we were kept awake by the volume level, and the painfully bad singing. The guy that covered Sex On Fire needs hung, drawn and quartered for his dire effort. I really can't see why the volume has to be so high, and to have been in the bar at that time must have been torture.
I'd definitely be back if I spotted another Great Deal, but would insist on a room far away from the bar area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the bar area, especially on a weekend
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank carlislecat
Reviewed July 1, 2012

Had Sunday lunch here today with my famiy( 5 people ) we waited 50 minutes for our lunch to arrive and when it did only four arrived waited 5 minutes for the 5th persons., on arrival we asked for more gravy in wich we were told would be 50p for a small jug( which i was happy to pay for )
On arrival of the bill we were charged £2.00 for the gravy .i challenged this and was told his manager said this was the correct charge, even though the waitress said it was 50p for a small jug . I aso dont like how the staff lift your sauces and vinegar from the table 5 minutes after your meal is served., and i also saw the manager doing this also, overall poor visit on this occassion and i feel the manager needs to update their staff on guidelines

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank minimescoty
Reviewed June 29, 2012

Tried to book in to the Coachman for a few nights after visiting Kilsyth for a family function. Was met at the reception desk by a rather somewhat rude and bad mannered "nippy" receptionist, who asked me "whit dae ye want"? The attitude definately put me off booking in here and I went elsewhere. I did have a meal in the restaurant prior to trying to book in, and all I can say is it was very poor quality, staff were not very pleasant and very slow. I had to send my soup starter back as it arrived cold and my coffee was luke warm! It definately wouldnt do the manager any harm to crack a smile or be pleasant. Perhaps a wee Customer Relations course would benefit greatly. Employees in the hospitality business should at least be civil and polite to their customers after all its the customers who keep them in a job and pay their wages. I would definately NOT reccommend this hotel to anyone!!!

Room Tip: Dont book in at all.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Gina A
Reviewed June 24, 2012

we were taken to this hotel by our friends who got a deal on Glasgow great deals and were very impressed. the rooms where adequate clean and comfortable bed, well appointed bathroom/shower room. food was amazing we all had different starters and main course and every one was fantanstic. For those who have room for pudding the sharing platter is great , a big bit of everything and enough for 3. the pub was good only one thing was the DJ was either a wannabee ibiza DJ or was gearing up to go thi summer as the music was a bit dancy for a pub and funnily enough not many people where dancing which was a shame. the blackout blinds in the debrooms help with sleeping right though to morning, which takes me to breakfast, lovely with everyting you could possibly want. the receptionist who checked us in was pleasant and again she was there at breakfast and lovely again, all staff where very nice. will be back

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 17, 2012

Stayed there last night, me and my husband (age late 40's) and were given the very first room as you enter the coridor door into the hotels bedrooms ... well we had a group of girls etc running about from 1.15 am for about 2 hours, shouting and carrying on, running between bedrooms, could hear them looking for a lighter (well the rooms are also meant to be non smoking, i have nothing against smokers, i smoke myself.... but would never smoke in a non smoking hotel bedroom!!) We had no soap in the shower either and when complained they didnt care, i was then told it had soap in it but was broken. I totally agree with Anne M's review, they dont give a damn about the guests staying in the rooms all they need is the bar and restaurant which is very busy.
I will just end on how our night away started ... we booked over a month ago and booked dinner for 7.30pm and when we arrived in the restaurant which was fully booked we were told our reservation wasnt there, we did get a table and the food was great but should have known a start like that was not going to end there!!!!

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel !!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LF40
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kilsyth
Castlecary House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Milton of Campsie
Smiths Hotel
Smiths Hotel
#2 of 2 in Kirkintilloch

Been to The Coachman Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!