“Fantastic Location”

Ranked #1 of 2 Kilsyth B&B and Inns
Scotland
“Fantastic Location”
Reviewed April 9, 2014

What a fantastic place. Great food lovely area. Great view from the room. Would definitely recommend. Would go back again. Thank you to Malcolm and especially Chloe for the service last night for my sister-in-laws 60th birthday food and service was excellent.

Room Tip: Caledonian room was the best view double window
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 6, 2014

We stay in Scotland on business about three or our times a year, usually staying. Little further outs, saw the boathouse and decided to I've it a go, nice big clean rooms and the restaurant was superb, such a substantial menu you could stay a week and still be spoilt for choice , the food we had was absolutely superb and I would recommend highly as a restaurant and as a business hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Larbert
Reviewed March 3, 2014

We used the £100 voucher given at Christmas for this weekend. We didn't know quite what to expect as this voucher covered evening meal, overnight stay and breakfast; for two! To say that our expectations were exceeded is an understatement! The rooms are large, comfortable and spotlessly clean. The dinner menu was extensive and the food delicious. Our server was cheerful and very helpful. The breakfast menu caters for every dietary need but one word of warning; make sure you are hungry because the portions are huge! I would highly recommend The Boathouse to people of all ages if looking for a lovely weekend away.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the marina.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Scotland
Reviewed March 1, 2014

We got some Tesco Clubcard reward vouchers for this restaurant - and it is fantastic! We went once with the kids, and once ourselves. It is light and bright and airy, and the setting is lovely. The food is similar to the sister restaurant, 'The Wheelhouse', near Falkirk, but 'The Boathouse' is much lighter. I am gluten-free, and in most places have one or 2 options. This restaurant had an entire gluten-free menu, as well as gluten-free pasta, so I had lots of choice. We both had the scallops, which were lovely. My husband had the fish curry, which was excellent - more of a tasting menu really. I forget exactly what he had, but it was a selection with rice and the curry sauce - salmon, prawns and a white fish, maybe bream. I had a really nice creme brulee, as well as some lovely Marlborough Sauvignon - they had a good selection of wines by the glass, as well as a good cocktail menu, although we didn't try any of those.

When we went with the kids last summer, there were loads of baby frogs hopping about, which delighted my son. I imagine you could have a lovely little wander around the marina - we left, as we had a young baby, but it is definitely a place to return to. If you live locally, it is comparable to 'The River House' in Stirling. They had a set price menu, like 'The River House', which had good quality food for a lower price than if you bought the dishes separately. The variety and quality is comparable to 'The River House'.

If you do use Clubcard vouchers, then they are for food, and cannot be used for drinks.

Room Tip: Looking out over the marina would be lovely - the other wide faces a car park.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 12, 2014

Excellent little pitstop on the canal. Food was promptly served, hot and particularly enjoyable! .. dined here with a little one aged seven, the staff were excellent, and even satisfied the wee fussy one! ... thanks!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank 420GabiB
Livingston, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 8, 2014

Just been to the Boat House for a special meal with my husband. It was busy and we were asked to wait (next to the front doors) but we were shown to our table within a few minutes. Now my husband was assured of a marina view table when he booked the week before (and he told them it was a special occasion). The table we had was in the corner, if my husband leaned over backwards he could just see out of the window. Our waitress came and introduced herself and I explained I had a couple of very serious allergies, she didn't seem fussed at all and said she'd have a word with the chef but really it was my risk! I've never had this before it was like she just didn't care and really didn't want to be there. Our starters came (Cullen skink) and that was lovely, well presented. But when our main arrived (Chateuxbriand) it came as one lump of meat (this is to serve 2 and should be sliced) and our waitress hadn't even bothered bringing us steak knives. We asked her if our chateuxbriand could be sliced and when she brought it back (we still didn't have steak knives at this point) it had been cut into 5 slices (now remember this is for 2 people). The onion rings it was served with (4) were like dental floss covered in about half a pound of batter! We got the distinct impression that the staff in there just don't like each other and I heard one waitress moan about a family that had sent something back and hadn't left her a tip. Although when asked at the start of the meal if we wanted a jug of water and we declined the same waitress brought us one. The table next to us was left dirty for nearly an hour before being cleaned, the floor covered in food debris and this wasn't cleaned up at all during our stay. The toilets were disgusting, 3 toilets I tried did not have doors that would lock and 5 had very dirty toilets as though they hadn't been cleaned at all that day. The basin area in contrast was clean (did the person cleaning that area forget they actually have toilets?) but the soap dispensers were grubby. All in all the food (apart from presentation) was really good but the staff were appalling. I'm only giving this 2 stars due to the staff being so unhelpful and miserable and the toilets being completely disgusting, its only redeeming feature is the food but the chef needs to learn how to present properly what he/she cooks!

Reviewed February 4, 2014

Had lunch here on 03/02/14 with my husband, as usual it was up to standard. Lovely place inside, helpful friendly staff, great food and extremely pleasant surroundings, a definite must to visit. Even better in the summer when al fresco dining is possible.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kilsyth
The Coachman Hotel & Restaurant
Best Western Garfield House Hotel
Mondo Hotel
Mondo Hotel
#1 of 1 in Coatbridge

Been to The Boathouse? Share your experiences!